Rongen speaks

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Bigdog, Sep 6, 2002.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I love how he talks about winning championships. He is going into that tournament not to have a good showing, but to win the damn the thing.

Another note: how cool is it that our coach has his biggest worry in our attacks of getting our fullbacks into the attack. We've come a long way

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Reading Rongen's piece, it sounds like he knew pretty much going into this tournament who his final 18 were going to be.

"On paper they are all college players..." Huh?? Thomas, check out some MLS rosters, would you??

Meanwhile, potential bubble players that I bet are now "in for sure:" Mike Magee, Ned Grabavoy

Probably out: Craig Capano. I have always gotten the feeling that Rongen has never really liked him.

Pick one to stay, one to go: Mike Ambersly, Knox Cameron

3. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Kudos to Rongen for writing these articles for the USSF, I really enjoyed reading his thoughts about the U-20 team.

Well, I think Grabavoy was never a bubble player. He was recently called up to the U-23 team for the tour of England. Certainly, Rongen gave a strong recommendation to Mooch for him to receive that call-up. I think there is a good chance Ned will start in Charleston.

Also, Rongen is talking about the defense (Simo, Klaas, Cochrane, Marshall and Clark) when he says they are all in college. And he is correct, of course.
    The keepers and all the defenders are likely to be college players.