Ronaldo, the greatest we will ever see at European level?

Discussion in 'Champions League' started by Jordan Welch, Apr 19, 2017.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I prefer weekends under the sun.

2. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    #27 Danko, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Ronaldo isn't even equal let alone better than Messi.

He's playing on a great team, he has a strictly goalscoring role where he's in a position to make headlines, and he's also been luckier. What do I consider luck? Teammates hitting huge penalties and opponents missing, Sergio Ramos scoring two huge goals in separate CL finals... Ronaldo scored six out of eight penalties in shootouts (75%) and his team won five. One time Ronaldo missed but his team still won (2008 CL final).

Messi on the other hand hit four out of five penalties in shootouts (80%) and yet his team only won two shootouts out of five. Twice Messi converted his penalty but his team still lost the shootout!! In 2015, it cost him the Copa. In 2011, it may have cost him the Copa too. They lost to Uruguay in QF who then went on to beat Peru and Paraguay for the title.

Because of above, I prefer to judge players on their level of play. Messi was underwhelming in a few CL quarterfinal matches but he's been generally transcendent and brings value to the team even when he doesn't score goals. The loss to Roma the other day was about a lot more than Messi. Barca allowed 3 goals in a match after allowing a total of 3 in the previous 9 CL matches. Messi is a better football player than Ronaldo and no amount of titles or awards will change that. And that's today's Messi. 2012 Messi was in another galaxy altogether.

3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  4. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Their teams yeah (past 4 years)

unclesox repped this.
  5. chtiPete

chtiPete New Member

LOSC France
    France
    Nov 1, 2018
    In few years, M'bappé will be #1 by far. I just love watching that player on the field : his speed, his technique...

6. mixpix442

mixpix442 New Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Jan 25, 2020
    yes it could be happen.M'bappe has qualified that

7. Didimos

Didimos New Member

Manchester United
    Nigeria
    Dec 23, 2020
    I would like to report a fixed match agency on telegram, they are selling genuine fixed matches, I am not here to advocate them or help them grow, but I am here to stop them, I disagree that no one should be able to know the outcome of any football game, please join me and report @supercorrectscores to FIFA Agency, if you you know the right authority please let's report them

8. marley dread

marley dread New Member

United States
    Dec 23, 2020
  9. ars11

ars11 New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Feb 5, 2021
  10. klade

klade New Member

Tottenham Hotspur