Ronaldo or Romario? Opinions from non-Brazilians

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by astinus4, May 23, 2010.

?

Romario or Ronaldo? Who was better (for non Brazilians)

1. Romario

31.9%
  2. Ronaldo

68.1%
  1. astinus4

astinus4 Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A Ronaldo 'Tribute' thread was started in the Brazil forum following his ommission from Dunga's world cup squad. However most of the posts have actually been about whether he was better than Romario. The majority of posters (roughly 80% I think) chose Romario, which surprised me as I was expecting it to be closer to 50/50. I wonder if one of the reasons for the anti-Ronaldo sentiment is residual bitterness due to his implosion before the 98 world cup final, and for turning up to the 2006 tournament overweight and stinking up the joint. Therefore I'm very curious as to how non-Brazilians (ie people who aren't hardcore Brazil NT supporters) rate both players for their overall performances.

My own opinion's that they were pretty much as effective as each other, albeit with different styles (Romario = finesse, Ronaldo = power). I think Ronaldo was slightly better in his prime so my vote's with him. However Romario certainly had a more productive career, mainly due to the years Ronaldo missed with injury.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Ronaldo had the higher peak, performed for longer in a top European league and had more competitive goals for Brazil. However you simply cannot dismiss the injuries he had because he became a far less dynamic player as a direct result. It was for this reason that despite his goals Real Madrid shipped him out for the good of the team. Ronaldo, in later years, was simply too high maintenance. I also do not read much into his WC scoring record because in order to achieve it Brazil had to pathetically play an ultimately failed tournament of pass to Ronaldo. You need to note that you might also get some bitterness from Inter fans because of the way Ronaldo left their club and then returned to Italy for play for Milan.

Romario might not have hit the same heights as Ronaldo initially did but he was more consistent and when you take post-injury form into account and the change in Ronaldo's game there is little between them. I am somewhat undecided at present.

3. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  4. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Romario was an artist in the penalty area, a pleasure to watch. He also made everything look effortless. Ronaldo had to rely in his physical conditions to make things happen with his style of play. They both suffered injuries which affected their careers greatly.

I admit I was always a big fan of Romario and not much of a fan of Ronaldo, although I'm not quite sure why. To be as impartial as I can though, I think that in general, Romario played for worse teams, was more creative, and was a better finisher if given the same scoring chance. He was a bigger asset for the teams he played than Ronaldo, if by a slight margin.

5. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Ok but Romário played in 80s and 90s begins in Brasil when the league was for sure the best in the world. Only on the mid 90s the league level decrease and he went to Europe and than come back in 1995. 1997 to 2000 Brazilians teams were great again with incredible squads probably at top of the world. 2001 until 2006 the league decrease level again.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wait a second ... you're Brazilian and you are saying that Romario played in Brasil in the beginning of the 90s ? Romario played in Europe from 88 to 95. Unfortunately most of that was with PSV. I don't understand how he didn't go to Spain or Italy earlier in his career.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a difficult choice, but I prefer Romario. His technique with the ball and his ability to finish was amazing.

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    same here, as a kid I just loved his style

9. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    i wrote wrong, i intended to say 90s mid (1995), not begins.

10. Berean Todd

Berean Todd New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To me it's Ronaldo and it's not close. Ronaldo at his prime was completely unreal, almost no one reached that height. If injuries and such hadn't caught up to him he may well have been the greatest ever. Alas we will never know, but he was certainly still better than Romario. And I didn't even have to pause to think about it.

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Romario for me. I loved watching play as a kid.

12. bigTM

bigTM New Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    both wonderful players but to me romario had more slight of hand about his play, his brain was as fast as his feet

i remember them ripping apart australia in a 6-0 romp,brilliant.

13. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Ronaldo.

And is this really debatable?

14. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I agree is not debatable, Romário was much better.

Guigs repped this.
  15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romário for me.

For one, he once shook Kasey Keller's hand during the flow of play in a Gold Cup match. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3VFLdnqSBw"]Kasey Keller stops Romario and Brazil, repeatedly[/ame]

Watch at the 1:44 mark for the handshake.

Second, he had a bit more flair about his game, and his unpredictability was always fun to watch.

16. zibonkhangf

zibonkhangf Guest

Ronaldo will be in September this year, at least 34 years old, “Aspen Daily” in the latest reports bring news of how many fans will feel shocked, first, in Milan captain Paolo Maldini is 34 years of age may be so has never had the intention of withdrawing Greenery of the study would like to, but today’s “alien” is considering hanging up his boots up. Previous day, with the endorsement of sponsors to advertise at the media meet, Ronaldo personally confirm this from the plan you want to use alien’s own words, “It is my request, the body, it needs to me quite down, I feel really old.

Mazda MX-5 Miata Parts

17. khan096

khan096 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Club:
    Alianza FC
    Opinions from non-Brazilians? If opinions from non-Brazilians,maybe 80% of medium and football fans think Ronaldo was a better player ,and they are even couldn't compare,Ronaldo has best skills ,best dribble,best technique ,fastest speed,strongest body and great shoot in the 90s ,he was a real fenomeno ,even no one could close if he never got knees injury.
    Ok,Romario was a better scorer ,because he scored 700 goals+,ronaldo only scored 415 goals,That's all.As a player,there is only one fenomeno,I never see anyone Europe medium give romario a higher ranking than O fenomeno,Last 40 years,ronaldo in 2002 world cup was best player since 1966 world cup ,according to FIFA Data :
    http://www.castrolfootball.com/legends/greatest11/
    And Ronaldo also in greatest 11 of 1998 world cup
    http://www.castrolfootball.com/legends/greatest11/year.php?year=1998
    (94 world cup winner as a member,no play,98-06 world cup all played good,though not as good as him played in PSV,BARCA and Inter Milan 97/98)
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1219155/index.html#days
    Ronaldo also was one of greatest players in America Cup history,1995 america cup runners-up,1997 and 1999 america cup winner,97 america cup golden ball (romario in this team),99 america top scorer,Romario also won the 89 and 97 america cup,but never won america cup golden ball or top scorer .
    Won the 97 Confederations Cup with Ronaldo,but Romario was not best player ,Denilson was the man,"Ro-Ro" scored 6 goals in finals

18. khan096

khan096 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Club:
    Alianza FC
    Sorry Romario fans,Poll in Marca ,ESPN and other World famous webs,I never see romario was close to ronaldo,Romario was one of greatest strikers ever,but ronaldo was one of greatest players ever (Only Pele was better for me).
    And last 20 years,only two names will be remembered,one is ronaldo,other is zidane.Zidane will be remembered,because he played 2-3 greatest games with France and Real Mardrid,Ronaldo will be remembered ,because of his peak,and his greatest reacords with Brazil (15 goals in world cup,98 world cup golden ball and 94,02 world cup winners)
    These skills also will be remembered
    [​IMG]

19. khan096

khan096 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Club:
    Alianza FC
  20. khan096

khan096 New Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Club:
    Alianza FC