Romario salary?

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by seven256, Apr 17, 2006.

1. seven256

seven256 Member

Jul 18, 1999
    NYC
    I am sure this topic has been posted a million times... in any case, how much is the guy getting paid?? was there a transfer fee? thanks

2. Profi

Profi New Member

Feb 15, 2003
    Heard from an inside source, that romario is banking $50,000 a month...plus apartment on south beach.

Apparently Shell Oil/Gas is financing it

Big money in the A league

3. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Wow, I would have guessed much less than that. That's great. What about Zinho and Rodrgiuez. They must be drawing nice salaries also. At least, I hope they are.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sounds like 250k for a 4 month season? That is by far the best salry in the country even better than anyone in the MLS , I think? Isn't Landon making 500k for the year? Gee wiz why don't they want to go to the MLS if that is the case?

5. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Maybe the USL allows them to operate more independently and be more ambitious?

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who knows they may even make more money in the long run in the USL? I guess it will depend on how much they have to spend on stadium and travel costs and how much they will take in , by selling the game. I wouldn't want to pay the MLS initiation fee either. 10 million is mighty high!

7. Timbers_Roberto

Timbers_Roberto New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    There isn't a salary cap and the league doesn't negotiate contracts so in that way USL teams operate more independently than MLS. That said, most teams probably have a total annual operating budget of around $750,000 - $1 million so if Miami is shelling out that kind of money for one player they are really breaking the bank. Last week they drew 3,200 fans. Even if they average 5,000 a game I don't see how they'll break even.

8. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Considering the people they are bringing to the team, I'm guessing they'll be going after major sponsorships. This team has the potential to be huge in South Florida, particularly in the Miami area. Maybe they'll fail, but it looks like they are trying to do things in a big way.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree 3,200 fans is not many at all you are right about that. However, by USL standards, they are doing just fine. Now if you have a bunch of semi-pro players (at least that is what they are considered if you compare them)with Romario & Zihno, you proabably wouldn't have to pay the other 17 guys all that much. It was only the first match of the year and maybe word hasn't gotten out just yet. Maybe when Romario shows his colors starts to score goals and the team starts to win games, things will be different. Remember when the NY Cosmos bought PELE , they were averaging only 7,000 fans a match at Downing Stadium. The more games he gets under his belt , the more people could come out. Who knows maybe they will have to play in a bigger stadium next year if he returns.

10. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    $900 000.

11. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I would venture to guess that the remaining players are getting between $1,500-$3,000 per month plus various housing allowances depending on seniority. As per Loco, if I recall correctly he wasn't getting paid much more than a minimum senior roster contract at Columbus last year (between $30-35k), so at $3k/month plus housing, he's probably doing as well if not better.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe $1500 a month + housing but $3000 seems like a lot for the USL. I'm not really sure but I think they are getting Brazilian sponsorship dollars.

13. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    they are owned by a brazilian company

Traffic, which does tours and also has tried to do pay per view, or close circut tv for brazilian national team games.

Miami has a huge brazilian population.

My honest thought on this, is they start out and make a difference in the USL, and they hope MLS asks them to join the league. by passing the expansion fee.

Romario is here on loan, for 4 months from what I have read. which doesn't actually cover the whole USLFD season.