Roman's Tax Returns - The Chelsea News Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Honestly, for me, this is the most important one. He's our spine.

2. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    and then Chelsea can still say, "ha, no".

he really could be the rock in defense for a decade.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  4. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Definitely. I think the matches since the new year have shown we still have a bit of a way to go as we build towards the future, but the main takeaway for me is that we’ve got the CB spots more or less figured out. Courtois at GK and Morata up top are pretty solid for the spine too, it’s just the other center midfield spots that need a bit of work for me

Blueallthru repped this.
  5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea have appointed Guy Laurence as our new chief executive. He has loads of experience in both the sporting world and business world. He is coming from a group that oversaw the Toronto Raptors, Toronto Bluejays, and Toronto FC.

6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I feel I'm the only one who cares about this, but it's still news.

I know, I know - "support the badge." But when the badge is funded by a dictator's friend, it's hard to look the other way.

Nikolai Glushkov, who was a friend of a Putin critic, was found dead in London. He also testified against Roman in a court case. Granted, Glushkov also stole tons of money and is shady in his own right.

I also wonder how Putin's anti-Semitism goes over with Roman.

The idea that Roman is likely tied into the chaos Putin is creating around the world for no reason other than to make his own backwater country look better is more than a bit unsettling.

7. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i think it's fair to have mixed emotions about this. there are some seriously unsettling things happening in the political realm that have kept my attention away from the game a bit and it's hard not to have difficulty reconciling the two at times.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    1. Putin is probably the least anti-semitic leader Russia has ever had. (Granted, I couldn't tell you Kerensky's proclivities, but he was there for 6 months 100 years ago.) Ever. That's not a misprint. Putin's quasi-adopted father was Jewish, some of his good friends are Jewish and the official state policy at the moment is quite friendly towards Jews - far more so than it has ever been. Nor am I making excuses for Putin here, as I'm very, very far from a fan. But facts are facts.

2. Roman has very little to do with what the Kremlin does politically, he stays out of the way. He made his money in the 90s, during the Yeltsin years. The active "oligarchs" of the Putin era are either former security officials (siloviki) or Putin's close friends. Roman is neither.

9. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wasn't sure where to post this so I just made a new one. Also, I'm not posting this as some kind of kneejerk to yesterday's game because I have mentioned this during the season.

Can someone tell me what it is that Moses brings to this team? He is athletic and fast, but not a threat going forward. His defense is serviceable, but not great. He had some good games last season and I think his perceived value got a little inflated.

I don't hate the guy and overall dependable, but simply not good enough for the system we tried to play this season. Moses gets the ball on the wing time and time again during a game and very rarely is there any end product. Winning a corner is about the best case scenario for him most of the time and then we just play it short and have the ball back in the same spot again!

I don't really know who was out there for us to upgrade with, but we didn't do it and that is another issue. I suppose we only have to worry about it another 10 games or so since the new manager likely will not play 343.

Honestly, it would be a breath of fresh air if Conte every now and then mixed in a 4 at the back lineup just to keep opposition guessing, but it never happens.

rant over
    KTBFFH!

10. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    First of all, he probably doesn't deserve his own thread.

Moses is a hard worker and probably can be a good backup in cup games and injury. For a winger, he is better at being defensive with zero attack. I was expecting him to be the first one to be upgraded in the summer but we bought someone who is flawed as well.

However, I don't think we have the ambition (or capacity) to be at the top at least for a few years. Our board is a joke but seem to get away unscathed. We can be intelligent while being prudent but that is not the case. We will be good enough for top 4 but won't get close to the other sides who are spending on quality. I am resigned to a mediocre few years till (if) things change.

11. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Moses is a threat to score going forward, but some of us were pointing out last year that he was good in large part because our formation took people by surprise.

In fairness to him, he’s athletically quite gifted which allows him to run all day and rarely be out of position. His defense has also gotten a lot better. Of course, his end product has always been a problem, which is particularly frustrating for a player converted from an attacking position.

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  12. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On the attacking side, his biggest contribution is winning corners as a result of primarily hitting the first man and getting a bounce. As much as I would like for this to be a jokey take, it's sadly accurate.

JimWharton and Wrath repped this.
  13. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    also, the once per game, incredibly lazy shot that goes well wide.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    This goes back to my point for a year now - Conte has done really well given the talent level of the squad. Other than Hazard, Kante (until he gets into the final third) and some of our defenders, there's a shocking lack of truly top class players at his disposal.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Best thoughts of recovery for Ray Wilkins.

Brock Hannsen, Blueallthru and Kazuma repped this.
  16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Wrath, srd.... and Blueallthru repped this.
  17. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    RIP Ray, the youngest ever captain of Chelsea Football Club, local boy brought up through the ranks, cultured midfielder and by all accounts a bloody nice guy.

srd.... and Blueallthru repped this.
  18. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    RIP Ray Wilkins. Tremendous man. <3

srd.... and Blueallthru repped this.
  19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Such sad news. RIP.

Blueallthru and srd.... repped this.
  20. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    Terrible news, 61 is far too young. Chelsea Legend.....

Blueallthru and Kazuma repped this.
  21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  22. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  23. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Blueallthru repped this.
  24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

cokeyounut, yasik19 and Blueallthru repped this.
  25. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Blueallthru and cokeyounut repped this.