Rodrigo Lopez at Tiburones Rojos de la Veracruz

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Dec 28, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised that Tom Marshall didn't give the details on *why* Rodrigo was a free agent and I couldn't find a definitive story until now, but Veracruz has been kicked out of Liga MX and all players are now free agents.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/veracru...lub-veracruz-gets-liga-mx-boot-amid-struggles

Liga MX side Veracruz has been disaffiliated from Mexico's first division, the Mexican federation (FMF) announced on Thursday.

The federation's assembly had voted in favor of kicking Los Tiburones Rojos out on Wednesday, following a financial breakdown at the club, sources had told ESPN's Rene Tovar.

FMF president Yon de Luisa confirmed disafilliation in an interview with TUDN on Thursday, saying that "the disaffiliation of Veracruz in all its categories was decided unanimously."

De Luisa added that the club's players players are all now free agents and can sign with whoever they want.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    autobus39 repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The day my contract ended in Mexico I made some phone calls, I called my agent and I told him, ‘Look, I want to go back to the States and my priority is Sacramento.’ And he said, ‘Well, there are other options, we could see other teams,’ and I said, ‘No, I want Sacramento.’ So, we pushed and reached out to [Republic FC General Manager] Todd [Dunivant] and Todd obviously made everything possible to get me back.

RL: It’s changed me a lot. In Mexico there’s a different type of pressure out there. You feel a huge responsibility, a huge amount of pressure, lots of money involved, lots of passion, of people working every day the whole week to buy a ticket for their family to go to the stadium and that’s when you see how passionate the fans are. It’s a big pressure, and it’s not just a big pressure from fans but from organizations, owners, general managers, coaches, even in-between players. You’re playing with top players in the world, players who’ve played in the World Cup and there’s a lot of pressure, so I think I’ve managed to gain a lot of confidence, a lot of leadership skills.

Q: Like you mentioned, you headed with the goal of competing at the highest level, playing in Liga MX. What did it mean to achieve that goal with a club as historic as Deportivo Toluca?

RL: Oh man, to me it was a dream come true. The day the draft happened there were two teams interested, the General Manager for Celaya called me in after training and said, ‘there’s two teams, here are your options,’ and he named Toluca and that was it. A huge team, a club that in the 90s and early this decade was one of the best teams in Mexico. They’ve won so many titles in the past 20 years, and I grew up watching that league, so it was a dream come true. Being there, I learned a lot, I gained a lot of experience, I gained a lot of things that you don’t really get back in the States as much.

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1075666

Winoman repped this.