Roda Financial Troubles & FC Limburg

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by FCGrunn, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
    Well the name is not set in stone yet (as is the whole merger to be frank). But basically they just try to find something that appeases everbody and more or less sounds good. As for the colours they are derived from the flag/code of arms of Limburg.

Being a Limburger myself I hope they drop the anthem. Somehow I resent the idea of some sort of Limburgs national team, although this seems inevitable.

ps: The muppet who came up with the suggestion 'Roda for United' should be shot on sight.

2. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    '

Why is that?

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I read in my regional paper today that the only four clubs in the eredivsie that are actually upping their budget next season are Utrecht, Heerenveen, Groningen and Twente. The rest are all cutting costs. Let the good times roll as that means the financial gap continues to narrow and the eredivisie will become even more competitive.

4. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
    As I said, I'd hate it if they bring some surrogate Limburg 'national' team to the Eredivisie. I.e. sing the anthem before each match etc. etc. Apart from that I have no problem with the anthem itself.

5. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If the team was full of players from Limburg (like Athletic Bilbao and Basque players) I'd disagree, but since it more than likely wont be I would want the anthem dropped as well.

I could be mistaken, but Heerenveen sings 'De Alde Friezen' before their matches as well. They've got maybe only a handful of Friesen players on the books, so I don't see much of a point in singing that anthem before matches.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    All I can say is that you have my full sympathy. The thought of being joined with Heracles makes me feel sick.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    They have no Frysians in their starting XI. Which makes them a laughing stock in the Dutch supporters community.

8. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Couple that with that fact that not many Frisians even speak the language now, the Abe Leenstra probably sounds pretty confused when the anthem comes on.

My family is all from Leeuwarden, and I think only my Opa's generation speaks Frisian still.

9. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think Leeuwarden is a fair example. It has never been a hotbed of typically Frisian culture and language. In fact they take pride in that!

Also, I know of many schools in Fryslan where the kids' second language is Dutch.

10. Oranje23

Oranje23 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Victoria, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You could be right. Anytime I've ventured to Fryslan I spend the majority of my time in Leeuwarden, with day trips to Sneek and Drachten, so that's probably why I don't see much of the Frisian influence.

11. psv88

psv88 New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So the merger is over. Great article on Goal.com. The teams will continue as they were.