Rockies Mountain High FC vs DCU

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murrdcu, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all accounts we "won" the transfer window but we're still stuck on Hamid and Hope. Yeah I know it's still early and Stieber hasn't seen the field yet and etc. but still not a good look.

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still can. This was an asterisk game.

3. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give it time. Nobody with realistic expectations thought we would turn it around overnight. It takes time to build chemistry

4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    True but the knowledge of chemistry needs to exceed the belief that there are only three elements; earth, fire and water. These guys keep stirring a turd slurry expecting to get diamonds

Boloni86 and roadkit repped this.
  5. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    I was scared when Jeffery entered. Surely Ben wasn't gonna let us watch Colorado 's own goal with one of our own.

ElApacheTevez, usadcu and sitruc repped this.
  6. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I remember the good old days from the very first season where it seemed everyone was trying to see how many passes could be made inside the box and try to walk the ball into the net.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    My favorite thing about shots by Simms were that they rarely got off the ground and were mostly on goal. His shots didn't end up in the mezzanine.

bigredfutbol, dadman, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  8. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    in some ways we've always been a team that tried to pass the ball into the goal. In the Olde Days though we had better players doing the passing.

I was not surprised it was Mullins instead of Miranda. Olsen is Olsen after all. But my guess is that Miranda will play Wednesday.

9. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This transfer coup will be Olsen's end. It will expose him for the fraud of a coach that he is.

JRHokie and NicktheGreek repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know what to expect from Canouse, but I thought he had a good game. He actually attacked the goal.

dadman repped this.
  11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, he looked decent. Otherwise I don't have much other brilliant analysis because, honestly, I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open.

Winoman, Boloni86 and sitruc repped this.
  12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've also gotten 0 or 1 point when playing well. Overall our point total for the season pretty much fits our actual play.
    We weren't good, but given how horrid Colorado was, a point would have been a fair result last night. But we got a gift... like we've given other teams quite a few times this year.

John L and Winoman repped this.
  13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like we have a top level roster right now though, so I'm not sure that's relevant.
    I will say, his substitutions yesterday were confusing at best. I think it was Acosta and DeLeon nominally as the most attacking players at the end of the game. Not that he had lots of great options on his bench and maybe the Birnbaum injury got in the way of a planned Bruno Miranda sub or something...
    I wouldn't call Olsen a fraud of a coach. He's not a very good one.

bigredfutbol and Winoman repped this.
  14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    The team is selected by drawing straws before each match. No other thought or planning is used or even considered. Or so it would appear

Eastern Bear, Boloni86 and Heist repped this.
  15. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Own Goal? Oh, Really? Well, Steve, hold my Coors Light. JARED, GET OVER HERE!!!"

16. Rick77

Rick77 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right! That's why I wrote it's still early. Just wanted to indicated that, given enough time, this current squad is still pretty shitty and there's still a ton of work to do in the next transfer window. Hope the team's brain trust [sic] is on the same page.

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That will be trained out of him.

18. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't get coverage of the post game show and haven't read anything about it, but did Olsen say why Miranda wasn't subbed in? I thought at one point he was even considered in the starting lineup.

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen's not really in the habit of subbing in forwards with a lead on the road, unless they're going to generate some ball control like late-era Moreno.

gringolimon repped this.
  20. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All three of our substitutions were defensive-minded for defending the lead. If we'd been behind, I think you could have put money on seeing him.

I might have subbed him in, but I wouldn't have started him - if only to save him for Wednesday. We have three games in an 8 game stretch, and we tend to hurt Atlanta on the counter.

gringolimon and Winoman repped this.
  21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if he was the third planned sub before Birnbaum's injury. On the road with a lead is important here too...

22. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes. That's Ben. Never go for the second goal. I remember Arena talking about that "crucial 3rd goal" after games...

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #98 Q*bert Jones III, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Too bad it didn't work. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The overall strategy on the road for a team with little offense and not a lot of firepower on the bench was the right one. It's just our roster (with Nyarko, Steiber, Brown, Harkes, Kemp and maybe more...) not available for that game was pretty weak. Still won't be great even with those guys back, but we are really thin right now.
    Going hard for the second goal would have been a mistake.
    I'm not saying the first two subs were the right ones, just that I'm not sure his overall plan was bad given the game and roster circumstances

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  25. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I didn't advocate for it, but soccer is pretty dull when you try to win 1-0 every game. Ben's had years to formulate a roster that could do different things. This is who he is. I'm afraid that with all the money he's getting now will just bring more of the same. Even with the new money, he won't have enough to play the way he wants. There will still be too many holes to fill.