Rochester v. Charleston 5-2 (R)

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mikey mouse, May 1, 2008.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Battery's fourth match and Rochester's first of the season.

The match kicks off at 7:30 at Blackbaud stadium. Game will be webcasted on www.usllive.com and will shown taped delayed on local Azteca 22 TV

Wilson will be out for this one due to the red card against Carolina. Report today says Fuller, Corcoran and Armstrong all started training this week and will be available for the match. No updated on Cianciarulo.

Charleston will be hungry for a win especially in front of the home crowd. The team looks like they are gelling together pretty good too.

Rochester will be playing there first real game against a USL team. They did pretty well in the preseason as well, but they played alot of small colleges.

rochester have changed coaches, (Guess Callaway is on maternity leave (hahaha)) Tehy also hav Luke Kreameyer that signed with the Battery and then was sold up to Rochester, tehy also picked up Ze Roberto, and a couple other players. all in in all I like the Battery's chances

I will be bold and go Battery 3-0 Im have a gut feeling. maybe its becasue I dont know if IM going to make this game due to work and the Battery alswasy has done well while im not there, but I feel the guys are hungry, and spent a week training hard and want to prove that they are going to be a force this season. Patterson, Alonso and Armstong all score all great goals....

Some prematch reports

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/matches_previews.asp?cid=348

Im sure there will be somemore tomorrow in the local paper

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad we're going to ease Armstrong into the mix. He wants to get in there....hell, he'd play with a limb chopped off, he's that passionate and hard headed (in a good way). I'm feeling a win tonight, like Mikey said over on the other forum, the boys have played too good to not have bagged a win yet, they have to be a little frustrated. With this being the Rots first match, I hope we come out guns ablazing and knock them onto their back foot from the opening whistle. Their preseason amounted to playing local college teams....and not powerhouse teams either. I suspect they're not quite ready.....and they have an older team, bunch of players over 30 (kinda like we used to have, LOL).

4. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First win of the season, 2-nil. Goals from Patterson and substitute King. A solid performance all around against a Rochester team who frankly could have probably benefited from a more robust preseason. Here's the writeup from the Battery website:

http://www.charlestonbattery.com/news.asp?y=2008&page=1&id=374

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good win, it wasnt pretty and there was a spell in the first half where I was consern about Rochester taking control of the match.

the second the Battery were playing much better as a team and it could have been 4-0 if not for a couple great saves one by Vallow and another cleared off the goal line by a defender

Armstong fuller and Corcoran are all ready to come back and that will give soem great options and deepen the bench

6. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nicely done. This was a win that was needed for the Battery so as to get the season moving in the positive direction.

7. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see a couple of North Carolina universities alums putting a hurt on the not-so-raging Rhinos :)

8. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am absolutely giddy to get down there in June and, after having bought our first house in Greenville yesterday, I may need some Battery gear for decorating the football room!

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im sure you can get some inspiration from the three lions pub. if I could I would move a cot in their and sleep in a corner!

10. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As I have been labeled something of a beer snob over the years, what do that have on tap at the Three Lions?

11. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    If you want to see photos of the Three Lions Pub go to http://www.charlestonbattery.com/stadium_pub.asp. That may give you an idea for decoration. Autographed Jerseys never hurt. You can get a Jersey from the pro shop and get the team to autograph after the game. Sometimes you can even find game worn kits, but not too often.

Beers on Tap at the Three Lions: Guinness, Harp, Boddingtons, Warsteiner, Yeungling, & Blue Moon

12. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh I have definitely seen the pictures of the Pub... Amazing, really...

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ummmm....beer.....

14. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    I came and set in E10 for a bit on Friday night, I had my wife and baby girl with me, couldn't have missed me as I had a baby strapped to my chest for a while. I would have loved to stay longer but we thought it best to move to quieter areas for the sake of the our newborns hearing. Plus we were meeting with some friends so we moved to E9 for the remainder of the first half. I saw quite a few people and recognized Jonathan, the Liverpool fan from the Madra Rua. But noone else. I will try to swing back down there this weekend for a bit and maybe this time I can get a little vocal with you guys - we will see.

15. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Y'all won't be able to miss me the weekend I am down there... Either wearing a Bayern shirt or a German NT shirt. I will stick out like a sore thumb.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember seeing you guys. I thought that might have been you but when I was going to ask I guess you had moved over already. Im the guy with the shaved head and the skull and cannon banner, I think I was two or three rows in front of you standing to what would have been your right. Bribetaker usually hangs near the corner. Mr. O has seats on the west side.

As far as Goingdownsouth, there are a few Bayern shirts roming around, Save up you pennies though so you can get yourself a Battery jersey! they have them at the proshop and at only $55, a bargin compared to some other jerseys.

17. smudgers

smudgers New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Charleston
    Excellent, I will try and swing by Friday night - even if only for a little bit. Hope to see you then.

18. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Aren't they like black and yellow though? I am not sure how that one would look on me, but that is what the wife is for... to make sure I do not commit any fashion faux paus... LOL

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they also sell the away kit (solid red jersey) and the third kit (solid white) same price. the Yellow and Black stripes look good on everyone.

they also have a few different varieties of t-shirts and some polos as well in different colors.

mikey

20. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, I know... I have been through the online shop. It will be hard for me, as always, to avoid picking up something. We shall see... ;)

I am anxious to see their Champions League kit next year. :rolleyes: