Rochester 2016 (Revs affiliate news)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Apr 5, 2016.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester Rhinos 1:0 @Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Apr 2, 2016

Smith Goes Full 90 for Rhinos
    By Brian O'Connell
    April 2, 2016
    NE Soccer Today

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting this in the 2016 thread.

Honestly, I think this is the first time they have used Rochester in a way that might actually benefit the Revs. I hope McCrary finds more PT in Rochester this year.

3. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Taken from the 2015 Rochester thread:
    Not sure if the Rochester thread would be the place to discuss this, but I'd think a u23 team wouldn't happen until after colleges finish up, as a lot of players in that age group would likely come from college programs.

That said, I'd think if the team was going to happen, they'd have figured out many of the players who would play for the team, both former academy kids coming home for the summer, and other local college kids.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure exactly what they are doing, but it's a different approach than the first few years, so I applaud them for that:

Gamble Gets Short-Term Loan to Rhinos
    By Brian O'Connell
    April 15, 2016
    NE Soccer Today

6. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sounds like by short term loan, they mean 1 game, which sounds a bit too short to me. Gamble did get into the game as a sub, but if you want players to get playing time, I'd think sending them down for a few games would be preferable, so that they could get used to the team and the team could get used to them. I see Jordan McCrary played a week ago, but wasn't on their roster this week, nor did he make the Revs squad, was he recalled for some reason, or injured perhaps?

Looks like we've had a guy play in each of their 3 games so far, which is very nice to see and does seem to be a pleasant change, but for guys who aren't going to make the game day squad here - as Donnie Smith did yesterday, for I believe the 2nd time - I'd like to see them get a chance to stay in Rochester longer and vie for more consistent playing time.

Did someone from the team admit in the past few months that they weren't getting as much out of the relationship as they could, or was that just a local writer who said that?

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Rochester has played 8 games now.

Donnie Smith, 1 GP, 90 min
    Jordan McCrary, 1 GP, 70 min
    Michael Gamble, 1 GP, 27 min

<sigh>

RevsLiverpool, metoo and a517dogg repped this.
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    metoo and a517dogg repped this.
  9. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Rochester is 4W 2L 2T. They're 3 W 1 T at home.

10. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I reped this, because I don't think they get enough out of the arrangement, but to be fair, the Revs have had a lot of injuries of late, and they did send some guys down early. I can see that they might have needed to keep the guys lower on the roster, with so many injured. A thought for a different thread, but of greater concern for me was why did they get so many muscle injuries, especially hamstrings? Koffie's injury at least looked like landing wrong and twisting something, which happens, but I think all the others just muscles popping for guys, as they played.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The revs were theoretically setting up a u23 team this year. I guess that's about as real as their SSS, so may as well loan some of the young guys out.

12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've seen players referenced as "U-23 players" in articles on the Revs' website; however, I can't seem to find a roster or any of their results.

13. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U-23s will be playing a friendly against the newest local NPSL team next week. This should be announced today.

15. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd assume the U-23's are going to made up of college players, so I wouldn't think they could finalize things and announce a roster until after all the kids finish their terms, and perhaps even finish graduation.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that. But even with the all injuries, Jordan McCrary has yet to make the 18, let alone play. Michael Gamble has made the 18 once, with 0 mins played. Neumann has made the 18 twice, with 0 mins played. Barnes and Knighton haven't played yet, either.

At least Heriveaux has been in the 18 almost every week, even though he only has played 4 minutes.

Other teams have injuries too, yet I doubt there is one with only 187 minutes of USL loan time. The teams with their own USL club probably eclisped that number in the first game.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  17. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They very well could need those guys just to have a full practice, we've only got 26 on the roster from what I can tell, and if some of the guys who make the game day 18 are carrying a knock and might be questionable, I can wanting to keep a few extra guys around. We're obviously not going to compare to a team that has it's own USL team, that's just a different argument for me, one about the philosophy of the organization, and if you want to spend to try to develop what you might call fringe or incomplete players within your organization, as opposed to say relying on scouting to try to find players, or something else.

As I said, I reped your comment because I don't think they use the relationship well, I'm not trying to argue that the way they run their organization is the best way possible, but given their current constraints, ones that are self imposed if you like, I can understand them keeping those players around until they have a mostly healthy roster.

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But hey, who needs those guys at the end of the roster anyway? All they do is take up space and eat up all the granola bars and bananas from the table after practice!

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    NFLPatriot repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I couldn't either. Some irony they announced the roster today. It's progress and hopefully will yield first teamers or at least push them.

21. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    metoo and a517dogg repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, for the Revs it makes a lot of sense, but if you're the Ra-cha-cha coach, why would you want 3-4 guys coming down from the Revs, displacing "your" guys who have earned their starting places/minutes, only so they can get some time, and then they'll be gone in a few weeks?

Maybe that's why some teams actually own/control their reserve teams so they can do this kind of thing. An independent team might not be so accommodating.

metoo repped this.
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what? I thought "affiliate" meant "bow to my every need"? ;)

a517dogg repped this.
  24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, taxes, insurance, all that fun employee stuff that takes allocated time and money away from the organization's "number one priority". Heck, with a smaller roster we could pay for TWO full time employees working on that top secret project rather than merely 1.5. We may even be able to get them new tape measures. KIASBM! ;)

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester 2:0 FC Montreal
    Sat June 4th
    USL Soccer

No Revs players involved.