Roberto Carlos [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mario, Apr 11, 2003.

1. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Roberto Carlos is to blame...he alone!

is this the reason why he retired from brazil. and why won't cafu retire does he honestly think he will be selected in 2010?

2. egwene

egwene New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Let's hope we find his replacement before the next WC. Thanks my lordship for what you did, but honestly, you overstayed your welcome? btw, I thought there's someone at Barca who would have done ok in RC's place, Sylvinho? Belleti? Too late now, and they will be too old for 2010.

3. sibuor

sibuor New Member

Aug 29, 2004

Gilberto was better than Roberto Carlos in confedaration cup and even in the only world cup game he played against japan. he brought much more to te table that Carlos.
    my gut feeling is that Somebody somewhere paid Perreira money to mislead Brazil. Because up until the world cup brazil was untouchable, clearly the best team in the world. then out of the blues teams like croatia started looking better that brazil. wtf. I cant remember a single world cup or inrternational match where brazil lost its passing game character.Even in losses like 98 finals, 82, 86, 90 Brazil always had their passing game and style.
    I have never seen Brazil play without their trademark style like this ever.
    And what was even worse is Perreira defending his ugly play and believing that he would get results this way. After the ghana game in which brazil was on their heels for atleast 75 minutes, Perreira had the nerves to say that he dont have any reason to change anything because his ugly style was getting results.How can someone be proud of the way Brazil plyed against Ghana.? i didnt see one good thing in that game.

4. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

The way we played against France was a disgrace. I felt utterly humiliated and ashamed. I like to think I can take defeat (as long as it is honorable). In this game, there was no honor, no silver lining, nothing to latch onto and dull the disgust.

As I said in another thread, never before have I felt the need to cover or remove my jersey after a defeat. After leaving the stadium against France, not only did I feel the need, but I actually put on a sweater despite the heat and discomfort. I felt (and still feel) dirty being associated in any way with the crap that had just transpired.

Keep all of this in mind when I tell you that in all likelyhood, there was no fix. Parreira is simply that bad. He took all the potential we had and metamorphed it into a swirling mass of forgettable mediocrity.

Tactically, we were terrible. G. Silva played almost as a third center back(as per CAP's instructions), leaving us undermanned in midfield. Ronaldinho was still out of position, and very balls would reach him or Ronaldo (one of the few that looked like he had a beating heart). No one would approximate themselves to their teammates to receive passes... the marking in midfield was laughable. Juninho and Kaka were MIA. Cafu blew our best counter attacks, and RC was tying his shoes when he should have been marking Henry. This is to say nothing of our fans, which were equally disgraceful.

Lamentable performance, and even more lamentable that I had pay to witness it live.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

Great work by Ricardo Anderaos, whose blog is available on www.estadao.com.br.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

REPLAY: (not on Ricardo's webpage but if you enter the right number, the following appears.)

[​IMG]

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

And you wonder why he called it quits right after the game. It was very un-Roberto Carlos like. Remember him saying only days before that Brazil would not lose the World Cup practically dismissing any chance of a defeat.

He knows even if the failure was by the whole defense not playing the off-sides trap, the picture of him with his hands on his knees while Henry was scoring the goal just completely burned his image in the Selecao. He knows the fans just won't forget this easily no matter how much he has given to the Selecao.

I say it again ... it's just sad to have lost like this. We gave the game on a platter.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I am not sure if I would agree with that assessment. We have some good young leftbacks, but they are mostly young, with no experience and some of them are injured (like Maxwell).

At the moment, I was extremely pissed at RC. Now, after a few days, I can think with a calmer mind. I do agree with one thing that you said, and it is that we do not have anyone better than RC at LB at the moment. I hope some of our young LB's get some call-ups to gain some experience.

On a side note, it is quite a shame that Cafu and Parreira ROBBED Cicinho of his first World Cup. I didn't realize this till the other day, but Cicinho is 26 years old. He will be 30 in 2010, and in all likelyhood, that will be his TRUE FIRST Cup and his LAST. All this due to a selfish Cafu and a coach who didn't have the balls to bench his old RB for his past accomplishments and a record.:rolleyes:

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Roberto Carlos in English

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

well we have a lot of talent at LB. it's just that i see us having more depth at RB. cicinho and dani alves are near world class level. i cant say that we have anyone who is equal to them on the left. but, in a few years, as you say, we should be good. maxwell is a great talent.

yeah. cicinho is an old guy. he made the transfer to europe at a rather mature age. i think he will still be good at 30. roberto carlos was still at his peak in 2002 I'd say and he was about 29 or something.

i think it's just extremely difficult to strip cafu of his captaincy. im not sure if parreira wouldve been capable of doing this. benching your captain is bad i think. but, cafu shouldve stepped down before the cup. look at what becks did. he's still good and he stepped down after the cup. but yeah, things wouldve been different with cicinho starting. i dont think the pain will go away so soon. we are all still really bitter. im watching the final now and i still cant believe france made it to the final.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

O lateral-esquerdo Roberto Carlos está chateado com as duras críticas que vem recebendo desde a eliminação do Brasil na Copa. Tais cobranças anteciparam sua aposentadoria na seleção.

Neste domingo, em entrevista ao Fantástico, o jogador disse que queria seguir defendendo o País e bater o recorde de jogos de Cafu e reafirmou, como o Portal do Estadão já havia publicado, que no momento do gol do francês Henry, sua função não era a de marcar. “Eu não tinha de estar ali [junto aos atacantes rivais]”, enfatizou. Por sua baixa estatura, ele disse que espera sempre pelo rebote.

Keep digging Roberto ... keep digging.

11. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

I actually saw the interview last night. :D He mentioned that he was doing what he was told... that Parreira told him that the center backs would mark the players in the box because Roberto Carlos was "too small" to really make a difference on the set plays :eek: .

Now... whether or not it's true is anyone's guess. I'm leaning more on the line of... "... there's no harm in marking the weak side attacker" since he wouldn't have been in the way of the central defenders + Gilberto Silva. But oh well, what's lost is lost. It is a shame because besides that play, I thought he was a plaeyr that at least had a lively match and did a terrific job limiting Ribery. But it's damn ironic that the two players that all of us kept saying were our weaknesses were the ones that put the nail in Brasil's coffin (Cafu's foul, Roberto Carlos's mid-day siesta).

12. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT

thats a bunch of rubbish from R.Carlos as he can jump pretty high and that ball hit off Henry's foot from a low point, R.Carlos should atleast been giving Henry a harder time

13. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

i saw the interview on globo too. i can see what he's saying...but at the same time, you can see that he's trying to shift the blame. at the very least, he couldve been watching the damn play or looking at zidane when he was kicking. instead, he was hunched over still fixing his damn socks. i think that a zidane free kick is the wrong time to start having an obsessive-compulsive fit to make your socks look perfect. hah.

at the same time though, that zidane cross was really a perfect one. the ball landed in a spot where it was pretty much impossible for Dida to save. I suppose he couldve come out and and tried to punch the ball away. That mightve been too risky though.

14. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT

i disagree as if he was following Henry like he should of been, then he would of easily intercepted the ball and had to option to clear it away the other direction or over the top of the goal for a cornor, remember he does have a powerful left foot and he is very skilled with the ball

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

The center-backs were supposed to mark ALL OF FRANCE'S OFFENSE ??? Wow, I don't know, but last I checked we only have 2 center-backs. Maybe he is including Luizao and Cris from the bench.

Now, RC saying that it was Parreira's orders is just comical. Is he a robot ? RC has been around. He is an experienced full-back. One of the reasons we have him on the team is because of his experience. You would think that a player of his calliber can look at the situation (Henry free right in front of him), and make a call that goes against "Parreira's" orders. Sometimes you need to have common sense. And he did not ... for whatever reason.

I'd respect him more if he came out and said ... "I screwed up", instead of blaming others for something that is obvious was his fault.

BTW, this is already the second excuse, First, the whole defense was supposed to be playing the off-side trap. If they were, the other players who stayed out and RC would have to take steps up, but they didn't ... so that's BS. Now it's Parreira's orders. :rolleyes:

16. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil

Like every 'extra tough macho' type of guy, deep inside he is only a coward who has no balls to admit his stupidity.

I still remember Chilavert spitting on his face a few years ago... Judging by the look on his face, he deserved it.

Talent aside, he has always been stubborn.

17. sibuor

sibuor New Member

Aug 29, 2004

it the end the nail came from cafu and the hammer from roberto carlos..... the sad thing is the whole world had seen this coming and perreira chose to do nothing about it.
    Besides the henry goal, the two were full of mistakes. Cafu did everything wrong just like he had done in the previous games.Roberto Carlos kicked the ball thoughtlessly even when he was all alone ,twice in the game he kicked the ball out of bounds with no french players anywhere close by.

18. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004

In this WC 2006, Cafu should not have played.
    Cissinho is a really amazing player and he could have helped Brazil to threat the opponent in offense and defence line.
    Cissinho is first of all very very fast, and very tricky.
    Secondly, he is very smart.

But Cafu has a problem in the second half.
    It's not really Carlos to be blamed.
    Zagallo and Pararreira favoured too much known players and didn't trust youngsters that much.

19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Roberto Carlos is apparently going to leave Real at the end of June..

20. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  21. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo

talk about a great way to end your career. :rolleyes:

RC provided the touch of death for both of his teams when they needed him most.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yep.

Although in both cases, neither team deserved to win. :D

Man ... I can still remember being in Brazil and hearing about this full-back playing for little Uniao Sao Joao and that Palmeiras was trying to get him. I remember thinking ... "Roberto Carlos ? You mean the singer ?".

Today if I hear the name Roberto Carlos, he is the first image that pops into my mind.

Damn I would love to see him come and play for the Verdao !!!

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

haha I was about to ask you guys that. I wanted to see if you Palmeirenses would take him back after leaving Real? Of course he isn't as good as he once was, but he would be a top lateral in Brasil..

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Absoulutely !!! I am still angry at him for the WC fiasco. But then again, I am angry at the whole team because they all sucked. We werent' going to win the WC anyways.

I am not crazy about his personality off the field, but I think he could play good for us. I just hope is not looking for a place to make big money, because I don't think we can pay him that much. He did mention Qatar in his interview.

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I cannot believe this guy really bent down to fix his sock while the free kick was taken. Did he not comprehend the magnitude of the moment....

haha