Roberto Baggio, a Great or Not?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Duck Manson, Oct 3, 2005.

1. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's hope to have a lot of good italian players, I mean good as baggio was, in the future.

Truth is if he was german or english or dutch... don't get me wrong they have produced top class players just not that type of player, the pure top class n.10. Only Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay have.

Look at Zola, compare the impact he had in serie a with the one he had in PL.
    And it's more serie a's fault (tactical paranoias of the 90s) than PL being at a lower level.

Baggio would have probably played more in the NT if he had been brasilian.

2. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hum... maybe also France ? I mean Kopa, Platini and Zidane were 'decent' number 10 (and Zidane still is).

3. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course, you're right.

4. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Lol, Holland hasn't produced pure top class number 10's? Cruijff, Bergkamp? No?

5. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think he means that Cruyff was not a "classic" number 10 -ie a pure playmaker- like Maradona, Platini, Baggio or Zidane.
    As for Bergkamp, I think he was more a striker.

6. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Cruijff not a playmaker? Cruijff was one of the most tacticly gifted players ever. I rate only Di Stefano higher then him. As for Bergkamp not being a classic number 10? He sure did very well as a classic number 10 at Ajax and Oranje.

7. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I mean Cruyff was more versatile -he often played as a winger and even up-front isn't it ? That's why I said he was not a "classic" number 10 or playmaker.
    As for Bergkamp, he was as much a striker as a playmaker.

8. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    So just because someone can do more then just playing as a number 10 they can not be classified as a number 10 anymore? Cruijff played most of his matches as a withdrawn striker. He wasn't the typical center forward and thus played in a withdrawn role so he didn't have to face those central defenders as much in duels. But he really was a support striker(read number 10). And while he could play as a winger his biggest strength was then lost, the ability to coach everyone around him. That is why he was more suited to a central role. In his season at Feyenoord he even played as a central midfielder.

Bergkamp started out as a rightwinger but was quickly placed behind the striker because of his increadible ability to score amazing goals. While never really as constant performer in his seasons in which he was on fire he easily scored about 25 goals. That, and he also gave you those increadible moments of brilliance because of the amazing speed at which he can do things with a ball.

Both are number 10's but both can also play on the wing or as a withdrawn striker.

9. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

LA CURVA SUD ROMA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    cuz obviously you're an Italy basher "its sooo clear" and any chance you'll get to bash a player you'll do it, how pathetic! and btw he is very happy with his career and also as a loving father and husband. ...even brazilians have missed pk's in the past everyone has. SO ONCE AGAIN YES! HE IS A GREAT

10. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think anyone is going to doubt Cruijff's skills. But as Babaroum said I don't consider his greatness to be attached to the role of the typical n.10 (a la Maradona, Zico).

It is true also for Platini. While Zidane fits that definition perfectly.

Cruijff and Platini are to be placed above Baggio as they are in the list of the greatest in world's history.

Baggio is not there, Zidane is not there even if we are talking about exceptionally skilled players who will be remembered.

Bergkamp... maybe you're right he could be seen as a n.10. I place him well below Baggio. Not my preferred Netherlander player even if undoubtly talented.

11. galactico(12)

galactico(12) New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    absolutely. One of the all time greats... shame he missed that penalty, that tainted his fabulous career.

still up there with the very best.

12. galactico(12)

galactico(12) New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    IMO these are the greatest players ever... (in no particular order)
    This is not based on acheivments, but rather on skill and 'greatness'....

maradona; de stefano; pele; zico; jarzinho; gullit; beckenbauer; cruyff; baggio; puskas; eusebio; platinie; ronaldo; romario; george weah.

(there are others aswell, but cant think of them off the top of my head)

13. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gerd Muller belongs there too.

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I Consider Him Great And A Professional At Least.

15. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  16. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Clearly a world-class goal.

17. LA CURVA SUD ROMA

LA CURVA SUD ROMA BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2005
    Montreal
    splendid!! and hes done that many more times later in his career also :cool:

18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be controversial, but I believe Baggio is the greatest Italian player ever. Roberto!

19. divinocodino1018

Oct 18, 2005
    Boston
    Absolutely one of the greatest ever. the 94 World Cup was the first World Cup I watched in the italian district in Boston. He carried the Italian national team in that WC. He has always been my most favorite player and continues to be (look at the user name lol). Forza Italia!!!

20. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  21. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    More proof of just how good he was.

22. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree on most counts. Cryuff was usually number 14 but he was a great playmaker. Baggio was a number 10 but I wouldn't classify him as a pure playmaker. There have been times where Baggio was more of a striker or he would score from playing in midfield. Bergkamp as you have said, he is more of a striker. Bergkamp, a number 10? What a joke!

MarioKempes, I wouldn't classify your comments as controversial.

23. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Even though I love Baggio and he's definitely in my top-5 favorites, I have to disagree with the notion that he 'carried' Italy to the final in WC'94. He was largely invisible for most of his time on the field and it was sadly obvious that the pressure had gotten to him. His only brilliant moment came from the 1st goal against Bulgaria in the Semifinal, while his other goals were either tap-ins or set up by the hard work of his teammates (<-- which is what really got Italy to the final).

24. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wouldn't call Baggio's winner against Spain or his second goal against Bulgaria tap-ins. His goal against Spain required some effort. Dribbling the goalie, especially one like Zubizarreta, isn't as easy as one, two, three and his volley against Bulgaria was well-executed. In a way, he was carrying Italy because he was scoring goals and the rest of the team were struggling to finish off their chances. Casiraghi, Signori and Massaro were quality strikers but Casiraghi and Signori failed to score. Massaro only scored one goal and he squandered a few chances in the final.

25. Panzo

Panzo Member

Oct 3, 2003
    But don't forget that his goal against Spain was created from Signori, who had both defenders converging on him and thus made a sacrificing lunge to lob the pass to a wide-open Baggio. That's what I meant about the hard work of teammates carrying Italy to the final.

And I believe that Signori (who was often relegated to the midfield or even bench due to Baggio's favored status) showed more drive, effort, and heart than him. This is likely due to their contrasting development as players since Baggio was seen as a prodigy from an early age while Signori had to prove his worth by starting at the bottom and fighting his way up gradually from the lower leagues. This IMO made him the better suited option for Sacchi's workrate-driven style. So despite the miracle goals, I think Baggio's presence as a starter was one of the things that limited that team's offense throughout the tournament.