Robbie Rogers?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by banbaseball, Jan 15, 2005.

1. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Last reported that he was "training" with PSV. Anyone know his status? Why wasn't he called into play with the U20s?

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    he was called in. made 22 man roster. was cut about a week ago when the roster went to 18. no current club but i guess he may go back to trial in Europe.

3. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    thanks for the update. wow. i had the impression that the kid was pretty phenomenal, although he wasn't even offered a GenAd contract. Is it because he didn't want to play in MLS but wanted to find a club in Europe?

4. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Probably. He'll get on somewhere in Europe....evidently he did ok to well at the PSV trial....He can't sign until he turns 18 anyway..

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    GenAd contracts are an enticement to get a player to give up their college (amateur) elibigility. Through his trials, Rogers has likely forsaken that already. GenAd contracts can't match the average Dutch salary. They're heavily weighted with scholarship money, something I'm not sure Rogers much cares about now. So if MLS had signed Rogers, it would likely have been to a larger, non GenAd contract. There is the problem. Can he contribute NOW? Cause if he's now GenAd, he'd take up one of the 18 roster spaces. I doubt he'd take a developmental deal (small monthly stipend). I never heard anything about him even talking to MLS though so maybe both sides knew he wanted to go to Europe. He got cut from a team with 4 MLS'ers, 1 French reserve player, 4 GenAd signees, and about 9 others who'll probably return to college. It's a u-20 team, so if he's 17 then he might be couple years younger than the others.

He twice turned down offers to train at Bradenton - something rarerly done. It may be something MLS/USSF don't want to promote. I'm concerned he's made a few choices that have limited his ability to get matches the last couple years but hopefully he'll get a good Euro deal soon.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He's 17 and made it farther than Capano did........

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'm curious about his odyssey as it might be instructive for others who wish to pursue European options without the help of an EU passport. I believe he turns 18 in May. So between now and then (assuming he gets signed somewhere), what sort of schedule does he have regarding tryouts, training, games, etc? It sounds like he's on the move, living out of a suitcase, without any stable situation. I wonder if anyone knows more about this.

8. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    And Capano plays another position, was recently injured, and wasn't going to beat out Gaven to start anyway (not to mention Szetela and Feilhaber of UCLA). I'm not saying that Rogers isn't good enough to be on a p40 contract. Just that the incentive for him to yield his NCAA eligibility is probably gone (unless he's paid his own way to all his European trials).

9. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    It would be nice if we could keep him in the States. Maybe play college for a few years and then switch to the MLS. Looks like a number of good players including his old teammate Christian Jimenez have made that decision.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Waste his talent in college while he could keep trialling with Euro clubs and perhaps train with MLS clubs? no thanks.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    And what purpose would that serve?

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to play somewhere IMHO, not just continually trial. If college is the best he can do, then so be it.

13. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Yeah, this guy is starting to smack of Ahabs white whale...

...or is it the Cosacks Red Herring?

Lot of talk about a guy who doesn't play anywhere, and who felt he was too good for Brandenton.

14. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Do you know that he felt he was to good for Bradenton? He did turn down an invintaion but do you really know why? Maybee it was because he wanted to train with his PDL team? Be able to go on trials or training stints anywhere he can at anytime? Something he would not have been able to do if he was at Bradenton. Maybee it was something else? All im saying if you dont know for a fact that "he felt he was too good for Bradenton" you shouldnt say so.

15. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    If I remember correctly his own statemnt said that he felt he would become a better player outside of Brandenton. He would learn more from Klinnsy playing in the PDL and it would make him a better player.

You are right as he never said he felt he was too good for Brandenton (this wasTop Drawer article when he left I believe), but he did imply that he would be better off without it. Seems like a one pretty bold statement to me.

Yes, I'm making the assumption of cockiness, but to say that he would become a better player outside of Brandenton's environment (especially since he wasn't in Europe) is interesting to say the least.

I wish him well. As we have seen being at Brandenton was no assurance of making the U20's, but that's still the best place we have got. Obviously not being at Brandenton didn't help Robbie.

Wash it is! Touche!

16. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino

17. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY

18. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My take on Robbie Rogers,from what I've read,is that He feels that He would become a better player at a Football Club.John O'brian did that at a little earlier age than Robbie Rogers.Till May he is 17
    He seems to be looking at European team's for this,but I hope he also may think about Brasil,and Argentina too.
    His game now,and great speed,added with a little "brasilian or Argentina' polish,could be a nice package!?
    I hope he goes to a great setting for his growth as a soccer player.

19. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino

Brandenton is a fantastic place for a young US soccer player. But turning down the opportunity to train and play with a former FIFA player of the year (JK)-come on. I suppose its a bit unlucky that JK is now engrossed in the German National team.

20. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Swed, I've looked, but I haven't found any reports of Capano being injured recently. But your point is well-made about him not beating out Gaven. [Him not beating out Szetela and Feilhaber, even after playing professionally for almost 4 years is sad and an indictment of MLS in a way.]

21. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played? When? He logged 440 minutes in 2004 (<5 games worth) and most of that was garbage time minutes. Not sure this is an indictment of MLS, which has a 30 game season in 04. OOPPS, Hijacked! sorry.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Brazil is a little dangerous.

But I like the Argies ... (checking their U-20s WCQ results) ... I love the Argies.

23. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes,to the danger in Brasil!! :eek:
    If you have local friends,and learn what to do & not to do?? Much better odds.(8 trips for me). The soccer growth...worth it! ?

24. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Actually, it's just three years. Really, though, how is the failure of an individual player an indictment of MLS? When you're signing 16-year olds, you'll always see some who don't pan out. Far more indicative, in my opinion, is the number of similar players (Gaven being one) who have gone on to be hugely successful.

25. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    this is what I remembered
    http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/MLS/...ent_id=19551&vkey=news_chf&fext=.jsp&team=chf
    he missed some training time in november. sounded like something flu-like. he did make in back in december into training. i doubt this was the reason he was left off, but it didn't help