News: Robbie Rogers: USMNT Left back of the future?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Sep 26, 2014.

1. NCFan

NCFan Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    A-I doubt Jurgen cares about his sexual preferences. I suspect he doesn't care for his (justifiable) wavering committment to soccer at various points. He may have also suspected he would be the sort to write a book where he analyzes his former teammates homophobia and their reactions to his coming out by name. We know jurgen hates player who gossip to the media.
    B-If Rogers were 5 years younger he'd be getting a shot.
    C-He is not that steady at left back yet and even he admits this year was a set back.

mike4066 repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Supreme Court justice? I hate that guy. If it's not explicitly mentioned in the Constitution, he'll have nothing to do with it... unless he's letting corporations count as people, or if it fits his personal worldview...

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1. Possible, but I don't want to say definitively one way or the other since I don't know and its a controversial subject

2. I think he's good enough to at least get a chance at Camp Cupcake

4. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    You are correct I do think he deserves a Camp Cupcake call given his body of work (he won't get one though).

That doesn't make him a NT-level player to me - wouldn't put him in my top 30 players in the pool or top 3 at his position.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If Robbie were German instead of gay this conversation would be very different.

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Robbie were an elite talent instead of just ok, this conversation would be very different.

7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    As opposed to the elite talent we have playing LB?

8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly...we have a bunch of guys who are average. Doesn't mean we have to add another average person to the mix.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Its a January camp. Rogers deserves a run out of a couple games to see if he can be a useful, Brad Evans-ish piece this cycle.

10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have been lurking in this thread, and it bothers me a bit that there are allusions to homophobia on the part of JK.

In the absence of any evidence other than a failure to call up a possibly qualified player at a position of need, I think the allusions to homophobia are unjustified. Occam's Razor would simply count this omission as another piece in the preponderance of evidence that JK sucks as a coach.

I prefer to read big soccer about sports, but maybe that is just me.

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    How Occam's Razor would deal with stopping calling to a qualified player who is also your ex teammate and a friend?

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Not that differently than cutting the best player in the history of the country from the WC squad that he once called in to Bayern Munich despite great derision from the board for doing so.

Private Entrance and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  13. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Just to be clear:
    1. The "allusions" to homophobia come from the linked article.
    2. The fact JK hasn't called up Rogers to the USMNT isn't really meaningful
    3. The fact that JK hasn't returned any phone calls (as of the article almost a year ago) to Rogers (his friend and mentor of 10+ years) is somewhat strange

I "bumped" the thread as I hadn't read that article before (didn't follow USMNT and MLS as much as I would have liked to this year) and was just curious if there had been any followup.

pastor repped this.
  14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He doesn't play smart enough to be Brad Evans ish

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Fringe player, and that's being kind, not qualified player.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Wasn't a fringe player before the announcement?

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm still giving the benefit of the doubt to Klinsmann on this until further notice. Therefore, nothing should have changed.

18. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was not even a professional soccer player before the "announcement". He was a USMNT fringe player 4 years ago.

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You can give him that benefit but Occam's Razor works against it.

20. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why? Rogers whoscored ratings justify a call up. Given the play of the USMNT in the last six months or so it's hard to give JK the benefit of the doubt. Rogers is better as a back than as a wing. As a wing he received numerous callups. He plays better now but gets Nada. Odd

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Don't cha know that our wings are fullbacks!

Edit: for the record Jurgen is not a homophobe.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic post.

mike4066 and freisland repped this.
  23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't understand Occam's Razor.

Rogers' last call up was back in 2011. A sample of other players who last got called by Klinsmann in 2011, have had decent seasons since but have not been called back: Zach Loyd, Ricardo Clark, Jeff Larentowicz, Teal Bunbury , and C.J. Sapong.

The simplest answer is Rogers is not considered good enough by the staff, to get a call up.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Unlike those other players, Rogers has been one of the top LBs in the league over the past 2 seasons, not just imo but also as rated by the stat services. And his prior callups weren't as a defender.

On the other hand, LA are reportedly in talks to acquire Ashley Cole. o_O

ussoccer97531, deuteronomy and pastor repped this.
  25. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Rogers always seemed like a guy with a lot of speed with horrific touch. I too wish Klinsmann would try different guys at LB but it seems like a bit of a jump to consider him one of the best at this position.

We see Klinsmann converting guys like Bradley and Evans to fullback so many rush to anoint former national team players like rogers, convey and Shea as soon as their coaches move them to lb.