Robbie Rogers at Stevenage [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Woodrow, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryansd87

ryansd87 New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the jury was out at first - because we previously had a manager who had our players performing well above their ability level - attaining 2 back to back promotions from the Conference (Div 5) to League One. Then when Smith took over, he was left with all these 6ft+ hoof it merchants who we're basically not very coachable.

Westley, our old manager, has gone to Preston now - and taken most of the players with him. But its a good thing because Smith has now brought in all his own players and we are far better for it. The football has been excellent and we have some cracking players. We currently have Marcus Haber, formerly of the Whitecaps, playing up front, and a few ex-Premiership Academy players such as Luke Freeman - who has been unreal since moving here.

Interestingly, though, Freeman is our first choice left winger, and won't be moved. So I would assume Rogers will be used on the right hand side... That said - we also have a pretty good right winger! He'll get plenty of game time though, because our squad isn't very big.

2. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Robbie can play either wing. I think he's actually right footed, but has ability with both. He might be able to play behind the striker too. He's pretty versatile, and had a couple of big seasons for Columbus. I think he was their player of the year either last year or year before.

It's kind of funny that Smith is being lauded for his football. I believe one of the reasons he was let go is that the GM wanted to play a prettier RSL style of football, and Smith was known to be more pragmatic about results. He did come from Arsenal though, so he probably likes his passing game...just didn't have the horses in Denver.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie has good speed and good ability with either foot. He also puts in a good shift, though he does have a tendency to waste his speed (he runs to the ball, then slows down).

His decision making is the thing that holds him back. He had one really good year in Columbus (6 goals and 3 assists) in 2008, but that was the year Schelotto won MVP. Decent year in 2011.

I don't think Rogers was ever the Crew player of the year. 2011 = Chad Marshall. 2010 = Eddie Gaven. 2009 & 2008: had to Schelotto. Rogers was MLS best XI in 2008.

4. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    2012 Rogers led the team in assists. He halso received the Crew Hardest Working Player award.

5. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You are going to like Robbie and its sounds like the style is going to suit him more than the crap thats being played at Leeds right now. Rogers was seriously way better than Varney or White so I suspect something else is up with NW. It maybe be as simple as he does not want to play any of Grayson's recruits. They have to be his finds or ones he has re-signed or forget it.

6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Good observatoin. He, and the Rapids, were stereotyped badly. Labeled as a thug team and all-direct team despite finishing with very few fouls and such. A lot of folks couldn't look past the fact he's English. They did play some direct ball of course but those were the players MLS gave Smith. (You have Conor Casey, you gotta send him some aerials...) He tried to move the Rapids to a 4-5-1 but the players were more comfortable in a 4-4-2 and there were two very in-form strikers so they went back. I agree Smith was fairly pragmatic.

Smith seemed to play them conservatively--two holding/d-mids in Mastroeni and Larentowicz, but it mostly worked. Lots of ties (Stevenage fans know that story now) but he seemed to get a lot out of his team.

7. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    And you just described their best 4 players over the last 3 years or so? In MLS you have to play your best. You don't have enough depth to leave a Larentowicz on the bench because you want to play more attacking mids in a different style. You have to play your best.

I thought he got a raw deal, and I was surprised someone else didn't pick him up in MLS. Portland has to be kicking themselves for not doing so.

8. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beleive Rogers is determined to make it in Europe and dispel the ghost of Herrenveen. Apparently there are two or three MLS teams ready to buy out Leed in prep for the fall playoff push but Robbie would rather try to make a name and prove himself. Kudos to him.

Unfortunately, the current gaffer does not need wings style players as it does not suit the ultra direct style. Strong defense and 4 big rugged forwards and a big center mid would be perfect. Buliding from the back, overlaps etc are not his cup of tea or pint of whatever. As a side note McCormack who is Leeds best player will struggle all year bet.

9. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Warnock has Leeds playing a 4-3-3 to 4-5-1 formation with McCormack (5'9), Becchio (6'1) and Varney (5'11) uptop and able to interchange positions. Certainly not big rugged forwards. He also has Byram the RB bombing on doing a passable Dani Alves impression.

The reason Rogers has left Leeds is not because Warnock doesnt have a place for him in his system, its that Warnock has watched him for 7 months and despite publicly stating he has no money to spend and desperately needs more pace, has decided he is not good enough.

If Warnock had any money to spend, he'd be battering down Swansea's door to sign Wayne Routledge.

juniorLA and Placid Casual repped this.
  10. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watch Leeds play a few times. McCormack has struggled badly since Neil took over and will continue to struggle until he leaves.

11. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Here is an observation on Varney from a fan of his prior team. I think the comment about his ability in the air is what NW likes about him and the comment about him not being able to play as a winger is interesting as well:

He started most of his games wide left in a 4-3-3 cutting in on to his right. That's important to note for context of how he played for us. First observation is that he's quick off the mark which gives him a great advantage against most opponents. He's not tricky, so will usually push the ball beyond and chase. It's a method that I suspect will be good at Championship level, however, his control is a little inconsistent which can slow him down once he has beaten his man, plus his vision isn't a key strength. He can rush situations at times.

Aerially he is surprisingly good and although I don't think he scored a goal with his head he did win high balls from goal kicks and long balls from the back. He is however, capable of moments of brilliance backed up with his strike against Wolves which was devastating. However, his finishing is inconsistent and can be frustrating. He started off really well with Blackpool, but lost his way as the season wore on and gradually lost his place in the team. A lot depends on how he is deployed. As a winger in a 4-4-2 I'd say he'd be limited. As a forward in the same system he would be pretty useful paired with a target man looking to get on the end of knockdowns.

The 4-3-3 system at Blackpool really suited him, giving him plenty of options around him and little defensive responsibility. All in all Varney is a good player capable of around eight to ten goals a season and almost certainly one or two of them will be jaw droppers. However, his lack of consistency in all aspects of his game means he's not a player to rely on for a steady stream of goals. If he stays fit, he will give fans more highs than lows and everytime he gets the ball at his feet a chance to get the fans to their feet in anticipation.

12. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  13. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He played a solid 20 minutes in the Boros win today. Commentator described him as looking "quite capable".

soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly shows his new coach has confidence in him. Thats an improvement and step in right direction.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I wasn't too thrilled that he landed in League One but he's in good hands with Gary Smith, who has more knowledge of Robbie's game than any other coach in England. In the end, I think this is a win-win for all patrties envolved. Today was hopefully a sign of good things to come.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers started and went 59 minutes in a 1-1 draw at home against Shrewsbury Town

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers started and played 62 minutes (at forward according to ESPN) in a Johnstone's Paint Trophy game at Dagenham and Redbridge. Stevenage lost 3-2.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Stevenage play Coventry live on Sky, Sunday 1:30pm kickoff (8:30 east?).

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
  21. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to elaborate..?

22. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Minor hammy injury right?

23. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    He came off injured in the midweek cup game, don't know what the injury was.

24. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. Just curious. Stevenage fans dont even seem to be aware that he's injured on twitter.

25. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I imagine his fitness is an issue. Warnock kept him in cold storage and then Rogers played in three straight games. Asking for a ding or two until the lad gets fit.