Rob Stone: US Manager shortlist is Ramos, Tata Martino, Marsch, Berhalter, Friedel, Osorio & Vermes.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by soonertony, May 5, 2018.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The academy was good and he integrated Trapp without issue. The owner just has no desire to invest anything in to Columbus area.

There's no real relationship between top club managers and and top NT managers. There is some overlap but the roles have some pretty profound differences particularly now that clubs bring in players from all over the world.

2. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    So, coaching 150 games in MLS is allegedly one of the requirements for the new coach.

3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what was worse news, the above, or when Twellman said even if the coach is named in November he does not expect him to start till New Year's.

4. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    He also suggested Sarachan could be in line coach the Olympic team.

5. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    What was with that list. Why not at least make it interesting and put a couple non mls names on there even if totally made up.

6. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With no games between mid November and camp cupcake is this really a big deal?

7. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two big opponents in November, no?

xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, the list was MLS coaches with min 150 games. I wasn't positive if they said the new coach has to have 150 MLS games, or MLS candidates had to have 150 games. It sounded like the former, but I was unable to rewind to confirm. Either way, it sounds like a silly, arbitrary requirement. I mean, it knocks out Martino, although English requirement does that as well (and I'm sorta ok with that - US coach should be fluent in English).

9. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I only heard this on the broadcast last night, but I took it to mean they had to have 150 games of professional coaching experience in general, which I'm fine with. That's roughly 3-4 club seasons, difficult for me to see how anyone could have enough of a resume to put them in the running for the job without 150 games under their belt (unless their coaching experience is entirely at the international level, but doesn't look like we're going after anyone like that).

Martino does supposedly speak English, but apparently isnt comfortable doing so in public.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    But didn't Twellman say it excluded Martino? Martino has more than 150 games in professional coaching. I'll have to watch that segment again.

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The idea is to have a coach that will work in collaboration with Stewart and Romejin and Ramos and everyone else in Chicago. The coach will have to relocate to Chicago, just like Stewart did. I'm sure this takes a bunch of coaches out of the running. Part of the allure of Internation Coaching is it is a part time jig. For example, except for games at Soldier Field, do you think Klinsman or Arena were ever in Chicago? They were based in LA and flew into camps just like the players.

Has Martino even relocated to Atlanta? Maybe if HQ was in New York or LA or Miami, we could get someone. But I don't think many of the great coaches that would be interested in national team coaching want a daily schedule in Chicago. Can you imagine Zidane moving to Chicago and taking the train into daily meetings with the staff in the dead of winter?

Having said that, this is what they want. I do wonder if they could get someone like Hannes Wolf to relocate and join the team. But the way they want to do things, it almost seems like it will be an MLS coach. Nobody else will want to do it.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The problem with this new set up is the amount of time it takes. You just know that the new coach has to arrive and then needs two months of time with Stewart to fine tune the division of responsibilities and the hiring of staff.

TOAzer repped this.
  13. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    @ebbro Do you have a link to this 150 games thing or was it just at halftime....

edcrocker repped this.
  14. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    It was at halftime.

edcrocker and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Only thing dumber than a rule you can’t enforce is US Soccer. If I were the manager I’d be perfectly happy with a corner office in Chicago, but I’d be scouting players/teams every week in whatever other city/country I wanted to be in.

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is an interesting coincidence...

LOL

@SkySportsPL

Where is next for Arsene Wenger? "I believe that I will start again on January 1. I don't know where yet, but I feel rested and am ready to work again." Arsene Wenger ready for January return to football: http://skysports.tv/O1UUiw

[​IMG]

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I would welcomed. Wenger.

Hopefully after being sacked, he'll become a new and reenergized Wenger.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they stated (was it Twellman?) before the US v Colombia game that the problem with Marsch was that he had a dispute with Dan Flynn going back to US Soccer firing Bob Bradley with Marsch as part of his staff. Which, as much as I’m glad Marsch went to Europe instead, is complete BS given that Marsch was right to be upset, and it’s petty for US Soccer to be holding a grudge when he’s the best American coach over the last half decade. So really the problem was too much loyalty to his boss at the time (Bradley), not the opposite (Curtis) as you’re speculating. But can’t have a passionate guy who isn’t a yes man, even if he kept the entire dispute internal...

It was also stated on the broadcast that the problem with Tata Martino (and other similar candidates) was that he doesn’t speak English... which is also a BS reason for not hiring a coach. Dude has been really successful in MLS over the last two seasons with plenty of American (and other non-Spanish speaking) players, no reason to think he couldn’t coach Americans on the national team similarly.

No specific reason was given for Pareja, who does speak English, maybe “he’s just not American enough”...

Basically keep finding petty BS to knock down the best candidates until you get down to Berhalter, whose team is second to last in MLS this season in goals scored.

Namdynamo, jjmack, gunnerfan7 and 3 others repped this.
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Right, I am just saying that if I were Stewart in this job then I would not hire Marsch. Not the right type of personality for the specifics of this job description which basically requires playing nice with Stewart since there is a lot of overlap. They need a guy who knows how to team play. Berhalter, for better or worse, has more of that personality.

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #4195 Eighteen Alpha, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Jorge Ramos, or rather Hernan Pereyra, is saying the next Manager will be Tab. I think it is probably bull hockey (where are the 150 - or even one -professional games, for example) but I might not mind it for a year or two if USSF would then name Hugo Perez youth coordinator. At the very least, Tab's teams play a more attractive futbol than the men - which isn't saying much and he has shown a knack for winning. I really never thought I would never even be able to consider ultimate Jersey GOB Tab but given the likely alternatives...

In any case, none of the above is going to happen.

21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

This is BS. We need a coach with a proven winning record, who can get this team to play good soccer and win. Don't care if he's from Mars. MLS coaches are not even at the level of our players.

22. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Beat me to it!

It goes back to the same point as before. Why wait this long and waste time whether it be Berhalter or Ramos at the end?

Winoman, Patrick167 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wenger. BigSoccer's dream made reality.

The plus is that he'd get nearly infinite rope from the fans, even more than Jurgi. Arsene could lose the Gold Cup in semis, fail to make Qatar, and fail to make the Olympics games, yet most would still be asking to give him another chance.

The minus is that he'd be twice as expensive as Klinsmann. He was making 8m pounds per year last time I checked. He's going to ask at least twice as much for a cycle with the USMNT.

An Unpaved Road and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Whether Wenger or Ramos the captain is obviously Zelalem.

25. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So i remember people wanting Tab out of the youth setup since he was a coach. Lately i've seen less hate directed at him.

Between Gregg and Tab, who does BS like better? You know since Tata is going to Mexico.