Rob Stone: US Manager shortlist is Ramos, Tata Martino, Marsch, Berhalter, Friedel, Osorio & Vermes.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by soonertony, May 5, 2018.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bold Prediction: Low will coach the USMNT in the next WC!

(btw, when Monaco win the World Cup Imma say I told you so.)

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Low would be perfect for us. He loves older guys with experience. I only watched a little bit of game yesterday, but thought it was very odd how many WC starters were still on the field and a guy like Brandt is still stuck on the bench.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think I need to get a disclaimer in here:

I have been saying the fix is in for Berhalter but the recent news that Crew have been saved has to be taken into consideration. The ownership group has something to do with Browns and who knows how much they would offer Berhalter to continue on.

TrueCrew repped this.
  4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I don't, but he seemed pretty in touch with the situation. Regardless, i think Don Garber should have no say.

21st Century Pele and Winoman repped this.
  5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I think it’s safe to say most would take a pay cut if it meant leaving the Crew for the USMNT.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, we don't know what the plans are for the Crew. They could be grand and Berhalter could write his ticket (maybe?). You just saw what USMNT looked like v. Colombia without just a few #1 players and there's not all that much in the pipeline looking to 2022. Heck, there's even problems with synchronizing the top players. Everything has to go right. The career of a USMNT manager is ephemeral these days. What happens when he doesnt qualify? Count on 4 years max. Then what? Will your next situation be better than Crew 2019? How is Caleb Porter doing? Mastroeni ? Arena ? Schmidt? The SJ guys? Heaps? Klinsmann?

The deal he is offered to stay with new ownership will determine things, imo.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think he'd jump at $500k plus incentives.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If Arena wasn’t such an old fart he would already be back coaching in MLS. Being fired from the USMNT is a better career move for a young MLS manager than never being hired in the first place.

21st Century Pele repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Take away Klinsmann's $25m bank account courtesy of Sunil Gulati, did this young German promote his career with his USMNT act? I don't think so. He may land on his feet but that will likely have to do with his playing days.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    From what I've heard Stewart doesn't have as much say as you're suggesting. He's going to filter and provide the candidates for review. Maybe he can say who his preference is. But the other three will decide. Stewart isn't coming to the others with a final candidate.

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Good old corporate micromanaging. Increases the chance of making a lesser decision while blurring the line of accountability. We've come a long way!!!

juveeer repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The point in a tournament is to advance. If you disagree, that 's cool.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    JK wasn’t a young, American MLS manager. There isn’t a single American coach in MLS who wouldn’t be able to coach in MLS again, even if he got fired by US Soccer for not qualifying. Besides, it’s a far more certain thing to quality for 22 than it is to not get fired by then by your MLS employer. Far more turnover in MLS than US Soccer.

freisland repped this.
  14. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    but but there was some change!!!

15. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    He's managing a committee. Technically they decide but anyone who's ever done that knows it means its on Earnie to get a decision through that committee that is 1) swift and 2) a positive outcome.

Pegasus and Winoman repped this.
  16. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me wants to see Michael Bradley named player/coach just so I can watch heads explode...

MPNumber9 and Pragidealist repped this.
  17. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lesson No. 1, the evolution of the back pass and how it can make your passing stats look better.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The big problem with Marsch from Stewart's point of view is that the GM that believed in him and hired him for RBNY later left the organization because of disagreement with Marsch. Not exactly the team player type guy that the current set up will need.

19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Take a look at the league standings. There are only two types of teams winning now a days. Those with huge budgets and those with huge academies. Columbus has neither. Or better said, the ownership has minimized all investment possible to the team. Yet the team remains relevant.

Second, players that go to Columbus have career years. Players that leave Columbus play much, much worse.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    As soon as the pro-players handed Cordeiro the presidency all of this was pretty set in stone. It was obvious that the process would eventually end with heralded ex USMNT players at the head of the program. In my eyes it's time. Some compare Berhalter to Bob and Bruce but the only thing they have in common is nationality. Neither were pros, or had any mentionable impact to the NT. A hallmark of successful NTs is having successful transitions from players to coaching.

The part that worries me and irks me is the move to having a GM. I just don't see it in a NT.

21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Kekuteh Manneh and Romaine Gall have quibbles with this. I understand this is the myth we have to tell ourselves to like this hire. Mike Grella, Pedro Santos would also like to discuss this with you. I can go on. Zardes had a good Spring moving to Columbus. But nobody else is doing anything special or extraordinary. Higuain is producing at a much reduced rate.

IF they make the MLS playoffs, it will be some credit to the coach that they did it with such an anemic offense. But let's not pretend that Berhalter has created all these great offensive players from nothing and the team is rolling.

jjmack and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Last year, Pareja had a team that dropped 5-6 places and out of the playoffs in two months. This year, Berhalter might do it too. Both seem to be the leading candidates for the USMNT job. Weird.

23. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Last year, we had a MNT that dropped 4-5 places and were out of the qualifiers. They seem perfectly suited for the job.

24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Finlay and Kamara left and they are not the same. Manneh was there one year did ok and since it was his option year he wanted to be sold to Pachuca. Hardly mistreatment. Crew will make the playoffs.

Look at my history, I've been pushing Berhalter a long time.

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't know if that matters. He's doing the equivalent of helping a relegation-fodder team avoid relegation. Between that coach, and a coach who wins things with either a good academy or through spending, I'd rather take the winner.

One or two players have been better there compared to previous years. For example, he's revived Zardes' career. But in 6 years, he's not done anything to improve that academy, unlike Vermes/Pareja. And those two have won more, on similarly-mediocre budgets.

Eh, I guess we'll see. I suppose I just hope that his appointment doesn't mean that we're going to see a ton of Zardes and Trapp from now on....

Patrick167 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.