Rob Stone Fires back

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by Z010 Union, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=6465

Looks like someone got a beat. Own up son.

2. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    hahaha you get em Stoner!

Now lets talk about Max Bretos.....Oy Vey.

3. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would give Rob Stone positive rep for that

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yes, that was greatness from Stoner. I saw that question posted right before I left work last night and was wondering what Rob was going to answer back. I'm glad he didn't hold back too much, the poster deserved it. I've watched soccer broadcasts from all over the world, all kinds of styles, and every single commentator gets off the play by play for a stretch when things are dull. Soccer commentators don't have the luxury of a timeout, a deadball, or the time between pitches to interject interesting stories about the players. 90 straight minutes of "by the book" play by play would bore the hell out of anyone.

5. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    One bone of contention about virtually ALL MLS broadcasters I've heard.

STOP telling me constantly where players went to school, what city they grew up in, and/or what country they are from! NOW!

Braoadcaster's crutch that has no business being used over and over and over...

6. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoner is awesome. We need announcers like him. That dude was way off base. But then again he is probably used to listening to the EPL with there sophisticated announcers in the Queen's language. Stoner is the best announcer for the league and national team.

By the way, have you seen the Fan Zone presentations on Fox World? They are hilarious, especially when you are not prepared for it. GO ON DUFF, GO ON DUFF, GO ON DUFF in a high pitched scream right into the microphone during a Chelsea game recently. Funny stuff with there thick accents and how they rip on the other teams or their own players. Check it out.

That would be cool if they brought a rabid fan in the both with Stoner and Wynalda to just rip on teams or go crazy with support.

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    True, but I'm sure you're aware that this is not a specifically American phenomenon. Whenever a player in the Premiership is not English, you can count on being reminded of this fact by most EPL announcers at least 6 or 8 times.

As the the other two thirds of it, that is probably to establish some sort of connection with 'new fans.' Hopefully there will at some point be anough 'old fans' that it won't be as necessary, and they won't do it as often. (e.g. Yes, I am quite aware that Brian Ching is Hawaiian, thank you.)

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please reread the quote. Thanks Alex. :)

9. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I forget to add, well done Stoner. I enjoy "Funky Cold Medina" et al.

Look forward to seeing you on the sidelines Sunday and hopefully back in the booth for the Jamaica match. Oh and just to piss off Alex and let us know you read the boards can you throw in a "Jamaica me crazy" :D

Cheers,

10. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex McAdam... you got burned! :D

Never pick a fight with a guy that has the last word.

11. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to go Stonie!

I didn't like Stone in the booth when he first started, but I think he has gotten much better in the past year or so. I think he works good with Eric, too. And I enjoy the occasional off-the-wall comments he makes.

12. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Dear Rob,

I'm writing this here because I'm pretty sure you follow these boards. Thank you. Thank you for taking a few seconds to tell SoccerFan, or at least this variation of him, where to stick it. I have never respected your work more. As the Bitch Brigade (my term for multiple instances of SoccerFan) lines up to complain about your work here on BS and elsewhere, please ignore them. You're doing great. And if you ever see Jack or Ty around, please thank them for their work on my behalf.

Nutmeg

13. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    WHat is with all the hate for Bretos. I love that guy - he' s a nut. Love the way he calle dthe DC goals on Sat.

14. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    i can't stand the two broadcasters .. i agree they are too negative about the players. they don't want to be broadcasters they just want to critique them and basically in the negative. that is not what broadcaster are suppose to do. There are some that are calm and just tell the play by play. sometimes i feel they are jealous or something as to why they have to be so negative...

15. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town

That happens in every game, of every sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put in some ear plugs and turn up your stereo, punk ass!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Max Bretos...(mind you, this is coming from a G's fan)...biased? Yes. Awesome? Most definitely...

17. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    As everyone rushes to fellate Stoner, I'll play deviladvocate.

The issues is not Stoner himself. Stoner, Jedwards, whoever.

Consensus Reality of the people paying the bills is that they
    need to dumb down the telecasts. I hate it, but i'm not paying
    for it. So I just tune it out. I still watch. But I don't listen.

The dumbed-down pbp and color, however, if it was designed
    to bring in new fans, now has more than 5 years track record
    of failure attracting new viewers.

Way too many I/O's and front offices are erect for the SoccerSmiles
    crowd, and the onscreen manifestation of pandering to kids nets you
    4th-grade level pbp and color.

No offense to Stoner, you're still as humble as the night I met you
    in Indianapolis in '97 after the USOC Final. I'd rep you too for the smackdown.

But Bob Ley and Seamus Malin brought far more class and rep to
    the National Team than anyone has since, and in my book they
    will be the gold standard that no one will equal or surpass for
    probably the next 25 years.

Excelsior.

-bs

18. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    How do you know that the "dumbing down" of broadcasts hasn't attracted new viewers? I think it is safe to say there are more viewers of soccer now than 5 years ago (ratings are up at least for this year), so perhaps some of these new viewers were initially attracted by such commentating to some degree?

19. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Respect for Stoner. I guess he's not quite the idiot I thought him to be.

20. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's definitely not unique to the U.S. announcers. If anyone has ever watched Hockey Night in Canada on CBC, you'll know what town a Canadian kid is from, what junior team he played for and what kind of cake he had for his 9th birthday.

21. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Yeahhhhhhh Good job Stoner.... Seemingly lots of people do not, but I like ESPN's Broadcasts. Especially when you put them up against some of the other tandems out there.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I think most of your comments are directly on point, but there's an inherent conflict in your logic.

Here's my read.

1) The people paying Rob ask him to announce the game a certain way.
    2) Rob announces the game that way (which happens to fit his personality).
    3) Everyone involved is happy, EXCEPT for the knowledgeable adult soccer fan, who may wish the analysis was more sophisticated, that the announcers spoke less, and that the whole production focused less on irrelevant issues.

Your logic implies that Rob change #2.
    But I'm pretty sure #1 is true.
    That's an inherent problem.

I will say that I've noticed over time that the announcers for MLS and the Nats are slowly assuming a greater and greater amount of knowledge on the part of the viewer. However, MLS Cup, the highest-rated game of the year, really isn't the time for that - it's the time to be as much of an infomercial as possible.

All that being said, I do think Ley and Malin were great, and I remember Malin from 20 years ago (my dad had a love/hate relationship with his announcing). I think the overall production quality now is similar to other ESPN2 fare (college hoops and college football), and for that, I'm very grateful.

23. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Malin was a pompous bastard, like Gardner the writer, and the original poster was exactly right- the "color" guys are morons who can talk but don't really think, and for some reason are hired as color guys despite poor knowledge of the sport.

Or did you like it during MLS Cup when Lorrie Fair was driveling on about ass zits or something- while on the field DC scores their second goal. At least she understood that she should stop pronto and get attention back on the action.

Or maybe you liked when Gomez then Nelsen made nice tackles/saves to stop a KC chance and Color Guy goes "It looks like he was taken down in the box!" Just yelling it several times. Thing was, it wasn't even close if anything the Wizards player wacked Nelsen in the leg as ryan calmly poked it out of bounds...how is misrepresenting some of the most basic stuff in the game any good for anyone??

Wynalda's the best one...at least he understands. He basically called the game for DC in the 10th minute with DC down 1-0...

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    You get the same prattle in an EPL match -- comments on the players, etc. It's just a different tone of voice, that's all:

ANCR: That's Beretta with the ball.... what a poor effort from the Italian...
    that won't win him favor with the management, will it? ... I don't expect he got away with that during his stint with Roma... etc.

You just need to sound as though you're delivering a lecture on the mating habits of snails.

25. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok.

If you watched MLS cup on ABC this past Sunday, and then watched the nats game on ESPN2 just yesterday, I think you will see why so many people can't stand Rob Stone.

The quality of the commentating between the two matches was simply night and day.