Road To Russia - WC2018 Qs

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Blondo, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Who we'll face in 2017 ...

Greece & Russia (25-28/3) ... CzechRep & Estonia (5-9/6) ... Gibraltar & Greece (31/8-3/9) ... BiH & Cyprus (7-10/10)

... shoot me now

Talk of France, Portugal, Chile, etc. ... yet we get ruskies & czechies ... I doubt the czechies will draw a lot of people to Brussels ... while our FA is gambling needlessly with a World Cup top seed (we'll lose points even when we win all matches) ... instead, we should be cashing in on our current ranking and standing by bagging much stronger opponents (or rest our players/give the kiddies a look in)... after the most important/highest yielding time frame draws to a close, not that our FA pays any attention (simply dumb luck), we'll go on a money-spinning trip to Asia ... let's hope for decent opponents because we won't learn much from playing the Czech Rep., Russia, China or Thailand ... already getting enough of that sort of thing in the Qs.

2. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Dreese Murrtains ... Serie A top scorer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Lou-ka-koo ... Premier League top scorer

[​IMG]

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's the deal with his form this season? scoring like a Mad man

5. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Often used as a super-sub and playing on the wings instead of central attacking areas ... Napoli's very attacking, high intensity football bringing the best out of him ... he's at his peak and needs to make the most out of it now.

PS they have an away CL game against Real Madrid soon ... could be a fun game.

6. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    A top side when everybody is fully fit and in form ... the eternal FB/wingback problem remains ... yet Meunier really impressed and if Carrasco minds his defensive duties only depth is an issue ... however with 3 ATB we really need a few options ... Kompany returned from injury, so let's pray Pep gives him more minutes and he stays healthy ... Lombaerts and Vermaelen aren't that old/remain serviceable CBs but aren't in a good place right now (the least you can say is they're well-rested) ... also, I added those that could be on Martinez's radar (+ kiddies) ... time permitting Martinez needs to properly bed in the most promising talents unless they fail to come good en masse.

[​IMG]

Against Greece start with Dembele instead and either Mertens or KDB ... probably Mertens as super-sub.

7. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Jordan Lukaku is utter crap. All hope rests on Miangue but I'm afraid he's not a very big talent either.

8. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I was hoping that with the trust given to Miangue by De Boer he could make an impression this season plus confirm the season after ... yet it's no surprise De Boer was replaced as Inter were woeful at the start, their embarrasing EL exit and the hair–trigger sacking of managers at Italian clubs ... Miangue hasn't played much since his loan move, let's pray he soon does ... we can really use more options, especially as I fear for my health if J.Lukaku gets called up too often ... on the right Meunier really surpassed my expectations, still lack depth there as well.

@Gorando ... do you watch a lot of Serie A? If so, how is Kums doing ... sounded like his season was going well and maybe he tapered off a bit after the winter break ... IDK if Martinez considers him an option, although more depth wouldn't hurt ... Nainggolan, in the form he's displaying, should be a nailed on starter ... let's see how Martinez and Nainggolan get on next month.

9. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Kums is on the bench lately, I don't think he will ever become an option under Martinez.

Blondo repped this.
  10. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Grease seem to be on the up ... solid defensively and Fulham reject Mitroglu keeps scoring on chavs in a pub league ... expecting them to be a pain in the ass

[​IMG]

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Presser tomorrow around 12 CET

12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  13. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    What did Martinez mean by his recent team selection?

[​IMG]

... Batshuayi - rotting on the bench
    ... Origi - hardly plays and from time to time you can see why Klopp doesn't use him more often *might not play because of injury
    ... Benteke - not really poor but not really good either
    ... Lukaku - in great form, has improved a lot in recent seasons (especially aspects of his game that he received criticism for), unless we also use Mertens as a striker, but then why call up so many strikers, he's by far our best option

... Mertens - scorching form
    ... Hazard - POTY season *probably won't play due to injury
    ... Mirallas - returning to action
    ... Chadli - saw a few cute moves but I seldomly watch WBA
    ... De Bruyne - not too impressive for his standards, often sitting deeper now (Radja is playing higher up the pitch for Roma now)

... Nainggolan - shit g'damn how could you even consider not playing him looking at his current form, should be the first name on the team sheet, only have to decide if you use him as an attacking midfielder or not
    ... Dembele - Nainggolan and Dembele in midfield looks really good on paper and it's a shame it hasn't been given much of a chance
    ... Fellaini - limited apps, his performances were mostly okay-ish, he shouldn't start
    ... Witsel - pissed off to China, a year and a half of a really low standard of football when WC2018 starts, agreeing with Conte: "must pay the consequences"
    ... Tielemans - start bedding him in, still needs to make several steps but looks extremely promising, give his career a boost
    ... Dendoncker - looked better than Tielemans but he's also a bit older/stronger, deserved his inclusion and could be a CB option (I'd say only if we really need it)

... Carrasco - guessing he'll be allowed to get more comfy playing as a wingback, when he makes the position his own he'd be our best option as Miangue hasn't made a big impact and J.Lukaku would be tyhe alternative
    ... Meunier - has performed better than I expected
    ... Foket - very thin at fullback/wingback, Castagne deserved a shout but still

... Vermaelen - almost never plays and didn't cover himself in glory when he did
    ... Boyata - I hear he's on the up again, very low expectations though, is he really ahead of Engels
    ... Ciman - hearing he wasn't doing that well and considering the level he plays at he should only be called up as a stop-gap solution
    ... Vertonghen - solid
    ... Alderweireld - solid

... Casteels and Sels - 3rd string goalie, a bit odd but why not, Sels wasting away but Casteels is back between the sticks
    ... Mignolet - decent even though Liverpool customers demand more (tbqh their defense is a shambles regardless of the goalie)
    ... Courtois - having a top top season

Kompany, Kabasele, Denayer Lombaerts, Defour and T.Hazard are reportedly injured/lacking match fitness ... Faes going on loan to Heerenveen was a mistake ... Cools, Miangue and Vanlerberghe needed at U-21s? ... whenever I had the chance to watch Januzaj he was up for it (competition in this Belgium squad is tough but he can still come good) ... Musonda and Bakkali need to sort out their careers asap.

14. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Watched the Everton tie ... Lukaku bagged another 2 and an assist ... Denayer and Januzaj played today (Defour on the bench), will catch that one on MOTD later

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Vermaelen barely played before the Euro 2016 tournament either and he ended up being our best-performing defender.

16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    IDK fam ... Ciman ... Vermaelen ... Boyata ... It's a worrying situation to be in ... feelsbadman.jpg

Hard to believe it was better to call up Boyata than Engels or just add Engels as an extra defender ... when will he be bedded in properly? ... he has missed so much already.

What did Lombaerts mean in this interview? @Belgian guy

Lombaerts was in dat interview zeer hard voor de stad Brussel en België in het algemeen. "Veel immigranten uit Brussel respecteren de vrouwen niet. Mijn vrouw voelt zich veiliger in Sint-Petersburg dan daar. Als ze alleen wil wandelen in Molenbeek of Anderlecht, dan riskeert ze om aangevallen te worden. Dat is niet normaal"

Lombaerts vindt dat het Belgische systeem niet klopt. "Veel mensen arriveren in een vreemd land en leven van de uitkeringen. Dat kost miljoenen euro's. Ze krijgen volgens mij meer dan wat werkende mensen krijgen in Rusland. Dat stoort me."

De Rode Duivel geeft aan dat de situatie in Europa penibel is. "Eer de Europese Unie een beslissing neemt, moeten 28 landen akkoord zijn. Maar kijk wat er gebeurt in de wereld: Putin, Trump, Erdogan en de Chinezen nemen beslissingen over het Midden-Oosten, Europa doet niets. In België moeten immigranten zich verbergen in vrachtwagens om illegaal Engeland binnen te komen. Soms worden truckers aangevallen. De overheid heeft zelfs sommige parkings langs de weg moeten sluiten."

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I wouldn't exactly trust that source.
    He even complained in the past about how poorly his wife was occasionally treated in Saint-Petersburg. So for him to come out and claim the exact opposite is a bit odd, to say the least.

18. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    The source is Proximus 11 ... highly likely it's what he said in the interview.

19. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    But the source is a translated article. It's not clear if the Russian source had quoted him accurately.

20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    OK blud, guessing he's still your guy ... it's something that we hear quite often coming from West-Flanders ... no big surprise if it's literally what he said.

Edit: doesn't Lombaerts speak a bit of Russian? Would be odd if he didn't after so many years.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Lombaerts is an educated individual who finished the first three years of law school and who has generally spoken nothing but sense in interviews. To believe that he has suddenly morphed into a racist I will need a bit more than some translated quotes from a Russian magazine article.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Who should start at RB if Meunier is not fit? Seems like our options are all pretty shit if he is not ready by Saturday.

23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Sounds like Lombaerts will move to Oostende ... the Belgian equivalent of geordie shore is not without its own dangers though, like herpes ... needs a game badly as he hasn't played since November 2016

@Belgian guy ... probably Foket (or one of Alderweireld/Mirallas/Chadli if need be) ... the eternal full/wingback problem ... Greece have better options, they could present a problem ... and they also have a strong spine with Manolas and Sokratis.

Is Meunier still well-respected in Brugge? ... as soon as he arrived in Paris he complained about the animosity towards Walloons during his time in Brugge ... IIRC he said francophones in the interview and it didn't sound that the dressing room was a hostile environment (he didn't really specify TBH, Brugge in general) ... Meunier went on to say that Engels shouldn't postpone a move away from Brugge (or risk plateauing this year), that even all kiddies should leave the Belgian league the first chance they get ... IIRC Engels had an offer from Arsenal last summer (classic Wenger "could have signed") ... I'm happy he chose to stay, posted about my hopes he'd do well in the CL, which was the case until he was injured, on his b-day even, by Slimani (quite a dirty player, even his own fans posted plenty of "NSFW" vids from his history).

PS pig torture in Tielt not helping the image problem of West-Flanders ... thank god for subtitles :ninja:

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If Meunier truly hated his time at Club Brugge so much, he wouldn't have stayed for five seasons.

25. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Well give it a good google ... it's more relevant to your clubbie ... I saw it after the EUROs - before transfer deadline day. Does it really come as surprise? He had a long-lasting injury, had tried to transfer out before, ... IIRC he would have left earlier but in the end it didn't work out. TBH I've seen worse written about Club ... losing sympathy over the years ... Brugge's performances in Europe and youth development still interest me ... about time they started punching their weight ... Brugge's academy is the big absentee in our NT ... actually there are many Pro League clubs in West-Flanders yet compared to the others they punch well below their weight ... e.g. I'm really loving Genk ... Courtois, De Bruyne, Carrasco, and so on, and so on ... hoping Antwerp (and later Beerschot) to make a strong return ... even Standard to get their shit together (although I wouldn't mind to see Standard suffer, I do respect their youth academy).