Road to Russia (Rumo à Rússia) 2018

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I didn't say we couldn't. I expect a draw but Spain to finish ahead on goals.

I think we match up well against Spain, and Ronaldo will be motivated. We have a midfield that can keep up with them and more physicality.

2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are (very quietly, it seems) in the group of death. Morocco is the dark horse of the tournament. We drew the best nation of that confederation.

Iran almost held Argentina to a draw in Brazil. That was the Argentina that made the final. Doesn't anybody remember how we fair against teams that play like Iran? It's our achilles heel. A draw is just as likely as a win.

A draw against Spain puts us at severe risk. We need to win.

3. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Be greatful you play Spain first. Even if you do lose you should be able to win the other two games. Whether you play Russia or Uruguay I feel you can handle both of them. I'm more scared of Germany and Brazil as Portugals main threat.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  4. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It's an exaggeration to say a draw with Spain puts Portugal's advancement at severe risk. If Portugal gets a well-earned point from the opener against Spain, it will have played one of the tournament favorites even. If it does that, everyone would and should expect the same team to be able to get four or six points from Morocco and Iran.

5. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not surprising, but many on BS saying Morocco/Iran will beat us and we will go out in first round...

we really are the most hated team around. Its even more obvious since Italy is out.

6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I already wrote about some of the good signs in the other thread.

After this draw I think we are even more destined to win. Spain in the first game? Morocco to potentially avenge probably our biggest humiliation ever on the world stage? Iran with Queiroz?

last time, the only time actually, Spain and Portugal met in the WC was in 2010. Spain was reigning EC champs and went on to win the WC. Now the roles are reversed, we are EC champs and are looking to win our first WC.

using the predictor, most epic path would be

R 16: W v Uruguay
    QF: W v Argentina

SF: W v Germany

F: W v Spain/Brazil

seems unlikely to win all those strong teams but hey lol.

7. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I absolutely love this draw. It is as close to a group of death as there is in this tournament.

This would suggest Portugal needs to head into the tournament with a winning mentality from the start.. a sluggish start will not be tolerated nor will it be acceptable if they want any chance of advancing. This is not an easy group by any stretch.. and yet, i am happy it isnt.

I believe Portugal has a good chance of beating Spain in that opening match, Spain has shown in the past they can be beaten and truthfully.. though talented.. fail in comparison between their 2008-2012 teams in which Portugal with a much weaker squad challenged them head-to-head.

This is our time. It is written in the stars.

King Sebastian has returned from the war and is going to bring the Seleccao their first star.. if you take a closer look at the os lusiadas, a hidden chapter remains.. it will be told to all by none other then the great fernando pessoa allowing vasco da gama to finally rest in peace.

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Tough group no matter how you slice it . I've watched Morocco in a couple of WCQ games and they were solid. Iran with Queiros will not be easy. Spain is never easy, but they're usually slow starters and since the first game is vs. them it augers well. A solid defense will be crucial for advancing out of the group.

jec1 repped this.
  9. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are also slow starters tho....

Draw it is !

JoseEmidio repped this.
  10. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So many haters on bs

I am working over time Defending our team and nation

Nani_17 and jec1 repped this.
  11. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Z, we hated BC we're the best! People wanna be us! I expect us to be better, we have much more depth and FS is our lucky charm!

Did u see his face when they announced Spain ? Took it like a boss! no FEAR!

I FEAR NO ONE!

This group isn't that surprising but it'll be tough. IMO, Argentina are in trouble; they've got Iceland (defense juggernauts), Croatia ( dark horse) and Nigeria ( very tough).

12. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Defence wins titles! Period.

We barely got out in euros and we played stellar D, with our young lions. We got better each game.

I like our chances but Germany should be the favs to win it all. F××k BRAZIL!!!!!

13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Me and Z are slapping haters there left and right. Come back us up. The lack of respect out there for Portugal is ridiculous.

14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    link?

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mod theatening to perma ban me when I'm defending us .

They all remember me and know me for not putting up
    With their anti Portugal bs

16. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Am I the only one who has noticed there is a direct correlation between the rationality behind someone's arguments and where they are from? I'm seriously wondering if there are schools in South America.

17. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Haters are always going to hate...

18. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Now you know how it feels Italy gets a lot of hate and I feel Portugal will get it too. You will feel it most from the english

NewLaw83 repped this.
  19. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Just ignore the Shit. Portugal is a solid team who deserves respect.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  20. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We're getting crap from Brazilians, Argentinians, Americans, etc. That doesn't really surprise me. There is a Persian guy talking crap as well but his posts really struggle to get my attention when he's claiming Portugal will finish last. When you support an underdog, you should at least have the common sense to be humble because chances are, it won't end well for you.

21. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares about respect, though?

European champs. Don't respect Portugal and you only have yourself to blame.

22. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Argentina fans are super salty and hostile towards Portugal I find in those threads.

It's gonna be fun watching croatia and Iceland bounce them out of the first round .

23. mars078

mars078 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Morocco is a dark horse because not much is known of them but they’re not the best from Africa. They have a good young team but don’t have the experience to trouble Portugal. They overcame an Ivory Coast team in decline. But their French coach Renard is a colourful character who led my other team Zambia to the 2012 African Nations title. Nigeria and Egypt are very strong however as both came through strongly in tough groups. Egypt is a potential R16 clash with Portugal.

I’m happy with the draw however as long as Portugal avoid Germany’s half of the bracket.

24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Man, our GROUP B thread in that forum is blowing up. I did not expect that. Maybe i should though since we're the most hated team on the planet.

25. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah its pretty nuts and funny to read some of the haters posts. Well this should keep us entertained for the 7 months!