Road to Russia (Rumo à Rússia) 2018

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    917856077525454850 is not a valid tweet id

2. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    That has to be the best WC qualification group stage that we have played..

Disappointed with Ronaldo today, we owe him a lot, but I still think he's not a good captain when things aren't going his way, he demands the ball too much, hogs the ball and generally puts his team mates down when they miss shots or dont' pass to him.

This is something I thought he had gotten rid off, but it came back today.

Anyways, hope the players can stay fit, good to see the out of form players are on the bench. Antunes was good too, surely he is a better option than Eliseu?

3. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Pepe was a beast again. I love the guy. Still remember when he becomes Portuguese and tons of haters were all upset about it. Pepe is as Portuguese as it gets.

4. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I thought the performance today particularly in the second half was very good.

Bernardo Silva was absolutely magnificent today, really caused Switzerland some massive issues. Hopefully a defining point in his Selecao career. MOTM for me

William Carvalho for me has been absolutely fabulous all year and is essential for player like Benardo and Joao Mario to receive the ball is good areas in transition. It's a pleasure watching him in action for both sporting and portugal. Close second behind Bernardo for me.

I also thought Joao Mario had his best game for the Selecao. He was rusty in parts which is understandable considering his lack of playing time but he did so any positive things and really helped with the fluidity of portugal in particular in the second half.

Best qualifying campaign since 2002. This side is going under the radar and that's exactly how like it.

JoseEmidio and Paposeco repped this.
  5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Also starting to think Nelson Semedo may be needed to cover for our ageing CBs as cover. I love Cedric and he's a fantastic player but I just feel Semedos pace could spare us a couple of goals on the counter

6. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Honestly, I thought Ronaldo was relatively passive in that he wasn't super wasteful with the ball even if he was trying to create goals for himself. I'm sure he was pissed at the end when Bernardo didn't pass it back to him, but otherwise he was helpful in midfield up 2-0 and stole possession for the last break at the edge of the defensive penalty area.

As far as Antunes vs. Eliseu goes, neither is the best option when everyone is healthy, but how many important goals does Eliseu have to set up to get just a little respect? Just off the top of my head he created the opener vs. Hungary and the opener today, and Portugal allowed two goals over the final nine qualifying matches. What more can he help the team accomplish? Antunes adds nothing to the attack and lost possession more in 20 minutes than Eliseu did in 70.

Sumol repped this.
  7. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Eliseu's doubters today.......

[​IMG]

8. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's a crime that Barcelona's starting full back is sitting on our bench for Cedric.

Cedric is above average, Semedo is world class.

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are in Pot 1 for the draw.

10. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    He hasn't started in Barcelona's last 2/3 games.

Besides, he's young and unproven, now that we've qualified Santos can try him in friendlies etc. Cedric doesn't do it for me either, gives up the ball too much.

It's a good thing we dont have to go through qualification IMO.

11. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When was the last time winning a world cup was as realistic as it is now? 2006?

2018 will be even more realistic.

[​IMG]

12. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree. These guys might not have the overall talent as 06 but they have more confidence.

They also have developed a quality in that even when they aren't playing well, they are just tough to put away. Still onlybthe one competive defeat under Santos. The hangover game.

13. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    South American champion (Chile) - OUT
    North American champion (USA) - OUT
    African champion (Cameroon) - OUT
    Asian champion (Australia) - TBD
    Oceanian champion (New Zealand) - TBD

Only continental champion guaranteed for World Cup is a nossa seleção

JoseEmidio and NewLaw83 repped this.
  14. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Put the crack pipe down. Eliseu is still dog shit

15. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We all had hopes in 2002 too :ROFLMAO:

16. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pretty crazy.

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That was a disaster. Huge drop off in coaching from 2000 we should have walked into the QFs at least. Starting Pauleta was always a stupid idea he had nothing on Nuno Gomes. Besides his hat trick vs Poland. Never could get anything going for himself.

18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When is the last time we had 2 players who could regularly put the ball in the net while on the field at the same time?

Andre Silva may never be World Class but he is definitely a fox in the box while everyone is distracted by Ronaldo he slides up in opposition DM's and scores lol.

19. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    This is so true. Andre Silva just needs to finish more of his chances. The kid is always working hard and you can tell he bothers the opposition because he is always getting taken out.

20. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This team is better than 2006

2 reliable strikers including ronaldo
    Better keeper
    And more depth in midfield
    Better coaching
    Better bench

The team does not have any clear weakness , imo. The only knock is aging CB and lack of defensive depth which is mitigated by the teams playing style, holding midfielders and coaching.

I have a feeling Portugal will be in the 2018 final and I really believe this , probably against Germany, Spain , or Brazil.

NewLaw83 and RedBullSeven repped this.
  21. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Now I can root for Portugal with out Americans putting me down, since USA is out.

NewLaw83 and verde-rubro repped this.
  22. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We also have Bernado Silva which attracts defenders towards him. Leaves Ronaldo and Andre open.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  23. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  24. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I do not recall if anyone remembers my post about Portugal to win the WC? Well they now sit at +2000 even after qualification... where as in my post they were +2500 i believe. Either way, a 5k wager pays out 105,000$. Still contemplating it, thats for sure. Who has more talent then this Portugal team? All biased aside, i really believe this team will win the World Cup.

25. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Ha ha, tell me about it. It's okay, they still take great pride in almost beating a rotting husk of a Portugal team in 2014 and then almost stealing a match from Belgium it deserved to lose 4-0. I really am enjoying a lot of U.S. supporters receiving their comeuppance. Maybe now that the U.S. is out the American TV analysts for next summer can learn the name of at least one other Portuguese player.

RedBullSeven repped this.