Road to Russia (Rumo à Rússia) 2018

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Right Fullback situation

We are coming into a really ridiculous age quality RBs, just want to touch on a few selection issues on the horizon.

If Nelson Semedo locks down the RB position at Barcelona does this put a lot of pressure on Cedric?

People's thoughts on this

As a Benfiqusita I'm annoyed at losing a great player but firstly I think Cedric has been so solid at RB and I'm not so sure Semedo is a massive upgrade.

I actually believe that Ricardo Pareira has been the best Portuguese RB over the last 2 seasons and IMO should be in the 23.

Then we have the most talented of the lot about to sign for Juventus, Joao Cancelo. I think this guy can be the best RB in world football but seems to have one amazing game followed by an absolute shocker. At Juventus they may be able to turn this diamond in the rough into something special.

Lastly Diogo Dalot seems to be a fabulous player. I actually have never seen him have a bad game, too bad he will have plenty ahead of him in the pecking order.

Bruno Gaspar is a solid player with that under the radar quality I like in a player still leading his trade.

Anyhow RB is serviced well, if only some of these blokes were CBs.

verde-rubro and JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Coentrão was a beast for the Selecção but if he were to have a good season and be chosen for WC 2018 (if we make it) it would be advisable that we have somebody besides Guerreiro at LB i.e. someone that could possibly fit in but is not a known LB, has any of our RB's or other players played LB? (assuming we only take 2 LB's).

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #653 JoseEmidio, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Or LB's our LB situation is not that good primarily because of Coentrão if he was consistently fit we would have much less of a problem, any up and coming LB's you rate?

Or could one of the above be used as a LB?

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    for the WC all we need is health. If everyone is healthy Santos will have a happy problem at every position minus CB. After the WC we are going to need CB's bad.

5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Mario Rui deserves a chance, Napoli and Roma both wanted him for the forthcoming season and he is in a similar vein to Cedric. Really solid and reliable

6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Call ups for the WCQs against Faroe Islands and Hungary.

Guarda-redes: Rui Patrício (Sporting), Beto (Gozpete), Bruno Varela (Benfica)

Defesas: Fábio Coentrão (Sporting), João Cancelo (Inter), Bruno Alves (Rangers), Cédric Soares (Southampton), Eliseu (Benfica), José Fonte (West Ham) e Pepe (Besiktas).

Médios: William Carvalho (Sporting), Adrien (Sporting), André Gomes (Barcelona), Danilo Pereira (FC Porto), João Mário (Inter), João Moutinho (Mónaco), Pizzi (Benfica) Bruma (RB Leipzig), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City), Gelson Martins (Sporting) Ricardo Quaresma (Besiktas).

Avançados: André Silva (Milan), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) e Nélson Oliveira (Norwich).

Looks like Nani's days with the Seleccao may be numbered.

7. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I want to see a Danilo-Pepe CB pairing. Imagine how much slower Fonte and Alves will be next year.

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Coentrao getting better each game, I just hope he doesn't pick up an injury in these games.

Our depth at RB is scary now, when we can afford to not call up Nelson Semedo & Ricardo Pereira.

Funny how William is "injured" yet was called up. That being said, considering lack of depth in central defense, I wonder if William or Danilo can be adapted to play CB with Pepe?

Only a matter of time until Bruno Fernandes gets a call-up, just a question of who gets cut (Andre Gomes?)

JoseEmidio repped this.
  9. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Guerreiro injured? Glad Fabio is back but did not expect it this soon. Fonte (I think) is not getting much playing time...

Saw Bruma at the Emirates Cup (Arsenal) and he was easily the best player in the first game...Bruma/Gelson combination could be ruthless in the near future. Waiting for Bruno Fernandes to replace Gomes.

Nelson Oliveira, against this call-up...prove me wrong.

11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yea don't get the Oliveira and Andre Gomes call-up.

12. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Interesting call up, excited to see that he called Bruma up. Not quite sure about the point in 3 centre backs though, I would have probably had Pizzi out for Semedo.

A little surprised about not including Nelson Semedo as he was fantastic in Barcelona's first game of the season and should be starting the next game and potentially lock down that starting spot for good. Going to be a very tough choice on who to bring to the World Cup of the three. I can't say who I would choose, I guess we have to wait to see how they all do this season.

Nani is injured but really he should be relegated to the bench when called up which looks like will be the case.

Coentrao is great news to see him fit and back with the national team. Having him and Raphael fit would be great for the World Cup.

What's up with Athony Lopes? He is healthy, not quite sure what that's about, maybe Santos is sour about him missing the confederation cup due to family reasons.

For these qualifiers I would like to see in the first game:

Cedric Pepe Fonte Coentrao

Carvalho

Bernardo Joao Mario Gelson

Silva Ronaldo

And then in the second game replace Gelson for Gomes, I know a lot of people don't like him but having his size in the midfield will help versus tougher opponents.

13. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    All i am going to say is WOWWWWW... this brings a smile to my face. The depth in this National side has never been so golden.

I am happy to see Fabio Coentrao back, and truthfully prefer him (when healthy) over Guerreiro as Rapa's presence in the Borussia midfield has hurt his progression defensively in my opinion.

Props to Santos for including Bruma in the squad.

Seriously though? the depth!!! look at some of these names that do not have a spot in the starting 11.....

In regards to formation... likely to see:

-------------------------Patricio
    -Cedric-----------Pepe--------Fonte------Coentrao
    --------------------------William
    -Bernardo---------Joao Mario-------------Gomes
    ---------------Ronaldo-------Andre Silva

What i would like to see be tried out:

-----------------------Patricio
    ---Cedric-----Pepe-----------Danilo---Coentrao
    ------------------------William
    --B.Silva-----------Joao Mario--------Martins
    ---------------A.Silva------Ronaldo

14. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Semedo would be suspended I presume

15. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Joao Moutinho lol really?

16. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Semedo suspended, will be interesting to see which 2 of the 4 (Cancelo/Cedric/Nelson Semedo/Ricardo) Santos calls when all 4 are available.

Andre Gomes is just laughable, Bruno Fernandes needs to be there based on his start to the season.

With only 3 CB's called hopefully Danilo is being a sought after solution to partner Pepe vs top teams.

Not calling Anthony Lopes is just stupid, him missing the confederations cup for personal reasons has been taken personally by Santos himself.

Nani shouldnt be called ever again, Bruma gets his much deserved callup

JoseEmidio repped this.
  17. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    We are making assumptions on why Anthony Lopes was not called... unless i missed something that stated factually why he wasnt called?

If our assumptions are correct... i agree.. it isnt a smart move to leave him off the team for that reason. It kind of reminds me of something Bento would have done.

Still confused about the Nelson Oliveira/Andre Gomes/Joao Moutinho call ups.

18. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    Can someone tell me what Coentrao has done to deserve a call up??????????

19. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Played well at Sporting and is getting better game by game as he increases match fitness?

I think it might have something to do with that

20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Cut back smoking from 2 packs to one pack a day.

21. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Raphael guerreiro is injured and Eliseu sucks

Coentrao is playing well last couple games

22. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    We must be watching different games.

23. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    I'd like to add that he only drinks and drives on the weekend and only cheats on his taxes once a month.

24. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Zero

Santos is contradicting himself, in one hand he doesn't pick Sanchez because he doesn't play, and on the other picks Coentrao who has played a handful of full game sin the last couple of years. He's unfit and he admitted it himself

25. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You don't play on a Jorge Jesus starting 11 if you are unfit.