Road to Russia (Rumo à Rússia) 2018

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VERDINHO

VERDINHO Member

May 29, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Such petty behaviour.

Ligue 1 has always been considered better than the Portuguese Liga. Teams there just have more money.

I don't get where you got the impression that it was ever a weak league as if Nuno Gomes was playing in such a superior league compared to Pauleta. Are you sure you aren't a Benfiquista? Nobody talks about Nuno Gomes like that except for them. I didn't say Pauleta is on Zlatan's level i'm just saying many PSG fans see Pauleta as their greatest because he was doing great things there in a tough time. When Zlatan got there, he was spoiled with service and the fans never made songs about him whereas they did for Pauleta. He is still the face of PSG.

If i was Pauleta and i would have known fans would treat me like this in the future i would have just retired from the national team early so you would have nobody to qualify you for tournaments.

2. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ok, let's post about the Selecao. Sanches sucks, Nelson Semedo got owned on Swedens second goal, and Pizzi was hot dog shit.

Yea it's a friendly but if you don't take advantage of your opportunities, that's why you sit the bench and all the retarded, Lampiao homers will defend them until they're blue in the face.

3. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I care about his time with PSG. In the Portugal colors, one of those players was a stud and the other wasn't.

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Enough about Pauleta. Portugal 2004-2008 can be summed up as : Scolari cagou!!!!!

I'd Portugal wasn't coached by failroz at the turn of the decade I'm sure Ronaldo would already have 84 goals like puskas

Portugal doesn't play again until June. An away qualifier in Latvia. From there we go right into the confederations cup and our first match is against Mexico .

Santos must call up a new CB for these games.

SCP_16 repped this.
  5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I love Nuno Gomes, my second favourite player of my time. That being said, he was not a stud. He was lights out when he first went to Benfica but things slowed down considerably from then. I think going to Italy messed him up, was never quite the same. His career NT stats are 29 goals in 79 games = 1 goal in every 2.72 games. Team career stats are 158 goals in 463 games = 1 goal in every 2.93 games. Decent stats but not exactly stud either.
    Pauleta career NT 47 goals in 88 games = 1 goal in every 1.87 games. Career team 224 goals in 459 games = 1 goal in every 2.05 games.
    Stats imply that Pauleta was more prolific goal scorer. What the stats dont show is Nuno Gomes ability to come back to receive the ball and distribute it. Nuno could do more with the ball at his feet than Pauleta could by far. Pauleta at times looked quite clumsy trying to dribble. They were very different players. Both effective in different ways.
    About Gooddead's comment that Nuno Gomes should have started in 2006, no doubt 100 % correct but that is on the coach and not on Pauleta . Pauleta did not even want to play at the NT any more and Scolari pleaded with him to play one last tournament. He did the same thing with Figo. You cant blame Pauleta for coaching decisions. His country called and he showed up.
    I will not get caught up in the who is better between Nuno and Pauleta. I have respect for both.

6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    4. All the hype about Bernardo Silva but he cagous every single time.

Santos decided to play him as a second striker again. Remember how terrible Ronaldo was at first when he was playing as a out and out striker? (still does not work now). Now compare Ronaldo to Bernardo's physique. I think Santos was thinking Bernardo could be our Germain (Monaco) but I do not see it working. Like I said, wings, 10 or just behind the striker but as a striker in a 4-4-2 come 4-4-3, no.

Gelson
    was impressive.

7. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  8. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Big debate over this (Airport named after Ronaldo) in Madeira and Portugal. I was on the no side. He is too young for such a honor that is usually only given posthumously.

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i'm with you on that, for me if they going to change then it should of been Alberto João Jardim he did so much for Madeira the guy is a legend

10. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Young or not he's the most accomplished and famous person that island has and will ever produce. He also has opened up multiple establishments thus helping their economy through job creation, etc. Fully justified.

And lol @ "Ligue 1 has always been considered better than the Portuguese Liga." By the misinformed, maybe. Portugal has multiple teams that have more CL/EC titles than that pathetic league has combined. Ligue 1 is a joke.

11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you beat me to it

JoseEmidio repped this.
  12. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lets be honest this is a business decision to cash in on Ronaldo. Maybe when he would be much older but he is 32! Purely about money (timing). Hope Madeira does not get flooded with 'football fans (hooligans)' and 16-24 delinquents trying to get laid and drunk on 10 Euros like at some Spanish and Greek tourist islands.

13. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Love him or hate him he ruled Madeira for 37 years. Since I don't like either as the airport name I would stick with the now, old name. Ronaldo is at the end of the name so I will still just say Aeroporto de Madeira (full stop :p).

14. Markeesha

Markeesha Member

Jul 28, 2015
    I'm not gonna even get into another Bernardo conversation on here again. If people at this point don't understand how good he is, than I'm not sure they ever will. Most likely Ligue 1 player of the season, The engine that runs the best offensive team in Europe. All the while being tireless in his defensive effort. You want to make a judgements on him in a 45 min appearance in a friendly or 20 mins against Hungary in which he was played in a proper position, than good on you.

15. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Man, you have a great read on Eder.

[​IMG]

16. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would make that case as well. Just not sure if Ligue 1 is nearly as corrupt as the Liga.

17. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #543 GoodDead, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Again most of his qualifying goals (about 90%) were when we were already winning so no he didn't qualify us. And his Tournament play compared to Nuno's and Postiga's is pitiful. Hell Eder has done more in the games he has played in tournaments for Portugal then Pauleta.

In the last 17 years of our out and out strikers, easily:
    Gomes - Scored a lot of important goals and did so with very limited games/time compared to our other strikers

Postiga - Wasn't prolific but was always consistent, tied the game vs England in 2004 that was huge.

Eder - Sorry but he scored vs France in a Final a game and Tournament winner(and was a beast the moment he came on) a hat trick vs Poland in the group stage means as much as a goal vs Angola in the group stage. That goal will be seen forever and meant the World (or Europe) that was CLUTCH

Pauleta - what did he ever do when it really mattered? I'll wait and after the hat trick what did he do vs South Korea when all we needed was a draw? Nuno subbed on and almost scored in very little time that game, had Nuno started we prob would have at least got a draw.

Almeida - scored in tourneys but nothing of note, like Pauleta

19. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Pauleta was pathetic for the NT when it mattered but that doesn't mean he wasn't talented. If he played for the NT as he did for his clubs, Portugal would have had at least two European Championships by now. As much crap as I like to throw Ligue 1's way, he was voted twice as Ligue 1 player of the year (on top of multiple top scorer awards IIRC). The only other players that have accomplished that are Hazard and Ibrahimovic.

---Z--- repped this.
  20. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pauleta was a good player, just struggled against good teams in tournaments for Portugal. the system wasn't suited to him. Although a good striker, his aerial game wasn't his strength, he couldn't out jump or win headers against the top CBs and Portugal's game was all about crosses to the middle from out wide, which would usually end up being cleared away by a Defender.

thats why from 2004-2006 most of our big goals in the tournaments seem to come from wonder strikes from outside the box, or Maniche running in from somewhere.

it works now because sometimes you have CR7 there to head the ball in...

Remember we had SCOLARI coaching us at the time... look what happened in 2014 when he coached Brazil... he didnt adapt to modern football after 2002...

JoseEmidio repped this.
  21. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #546 Sumol, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Agreed, our game-plan just didn't suit Pauleta at all. His club managers knew how to use him and when you do that, he can be a monster. It doesn't make much sense to blame Pauleta, it's more-so on Failari and his archaic tactics.

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lets keep in mind Ligue 1 was not strong at all from 2000 to 2010. Just look at their UEFA coefficient. Porto won 2 European titles Sporting went to the UC final in the time frame that Pauleta was at PSG not winning the league, while other Ligue 1 teams could only manage one final ...where Monaco got smoked by Porto. Sorry but Ligue 1 may have had (and have) more money but the league and teams were WEAK. Pauleta showed he could score vs weak opposition (Ligue 1 circa 2000's, Andorra, Estonia etc) but didn't score many important goals (game winners, game tying, first goal of match) for Portugal.

So my statement stands Pauleta had padded stats he was not a great striker by any means. A good one but not one that should start in major international matches.

23. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A big fish but only in small ponds.

24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    To be fair here, Porto had an easy ride in 2004. It was one of those WEIRD years that rarely happen. They beat Monaco in the final, so that automatically means Liga > Ligue 1? That's such a simplistic way of looking at things. It lacks nuance. Ligue 1 was still a top league in Europe.

I'm not crazy about Pauleta but i recognize his ability as a striker. You on the other hand, you seem pretty desperate to put the guy down. Your arguments are weak.

25. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    I believe you are forgetting the Lyon team that would have been arguably the best team in Portugal most years in that decade. They were regulars of the CL QF stage. Marseille also had its period. And Monaco made the CL final in 2004. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about.