Road to Russia (Rumo à Rússia) 2018

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good callups considering the available players . As usual santos gets it right .

I just have my doubts over Bruno Alves and Eliseu. Carrico needs a look in. Portugal has a lot of strong fullbacks emerging so not sure how much longer he can call Eliseu .

With this team we really should win this game easily
    IMO

artielange84 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm trying to think if Santos left anyone off that should have been called? I think he's spot on.

My Starting lineup (and my opinion of Santos' call in brackets):

-----------------------------Sao Patricio-------------------
    Semedo(Cedric)-------Fonte-------Pepe--------Guerreiro
    ------------------------------Danilo(William)------
    ------------------Moutinho------------Sanches(Mario)
    ------------------------------Bernardo
    ---------------------Silva(RQ)--------Ronaldo

3. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm just going to say it.

Ricardo Quaresma is the best super-sub any team could hope to use. If we get to Russia without injuries to key pieces, we win everything? I sink so.

When i watch Besiktas for the first 20-35 minutes he is just immense. He's a great example of the Portuguese empire, he peaks early.

4. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Good squad on the whole, my only worry is that we're potentially lacking with centre backs.

Jose Fonte has had an absolute shocker since he moved to West Ham in January, but here's to hoping he can refind his form with ourselves

5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes of course what was I thinking but Eliseu and Alves are both 3rd options and I would put Neto ahead of Alves, who I am glad has made the squad.

6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, the Sporting CB's hopefully mature.

7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Considering the injuries it's a decent squad, I just hope we have a couple of young emerging CB's soon.

We need to smash Hungary, I still get angry when I think of that match in the group stage where they scored 2 deflected goals in 10 minutes.

------------------------------------------------Patricio---------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------Pepe------------------------------Fonte--------------------------------------
    Cedric-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Gurreiro
    --------------------------------------------William----------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------J.Mario----------------------Moutinho----------------------------------------
    --------------Bernardo Silva-----------Andre Silva-----------------Ronaldo-----------------------------

He'll use the safe option in Cedric as Cancelo is still too green defensively, and he will test Nelson Semedo vs Sweden probably. Although I wouldnt mind Semedo starting vs Hungary.

William over Danilo, though Danilo is in great form lately..we'll just have so much of the ball that William would be better.

Moutinho to replace Adrien silva as Andre Gomes is in poor form.

Gelson, Quaresma, and Sanches to come off the bench imho.

Come on Bernardo, have a huge game!

8. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Speaking of CB's, Ricardo Carvalho? Yet to retire from international football.

A pretty decent option to have in case of emergency.

lol.

9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Isn't he playing in China?

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    With Shanghai SIPG F.C., coached by AVB. Hulk is also on that team.

11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We should stop overrating our team

We won't be playing Wales in a World Cup semi final

João Mario riding the pine at inter along with Sanches at Bayern

I always said most of our players are better off staying n the primeira liga

the key new additions now seem
    To be Bernardo / Andre silva and gelson martins

12. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mário was on the bench today, I have not been following but he has not been making headlines. We will see how he plays as he will play in at least one of the games.

13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #438 Sumol, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Our players should just either stay in Liga Nos or play for the smaller Spanish teams like Valencia, Sevilla, etc.

We need to stay boxed to that, anything else is a risk.

---Z--- repped this.
  14. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    To be honest, up until a month ago he was getting rave reviews. I don't think there was even a dip in form or anything that came with sitting the bench.

http://www.football-italia.net/98115/joao-marios-bargain

You don't get articles written like the above when underperforming. Seems like the coach doesn't prefer him in his system, and I do believe Inter's midfield is actually up there in age so perhaps he prefers experience right now. Still odd. Shouldn't have gone to Inter. Maybe if we were in the year 2008. He should have gone to a Dortmund type of team.

JoseEmidio and artielange84 repped this.
  15. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    So you expect Portuguese players to just reject all offers from any teams outside of those you mentioned ? That's absolutely ridiculous

You can't have one rule for one player and one for another.. because I bet you don't think Cristiano should've stayed at Sporting or gone to a smaller Spanish side do you

16. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

17. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  18. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]
    Carlos Pereira na Grande Entrevista da Sport Tv+

O presidente do Marítimo, Carlos Pereira, disse, esta quinta-feira à noite, na Grande Entrevista da Sport Tv+, que é uma honra e um privilégio para a Madeira ter Cristiano Ronaldo como seu representante.
    A alguns dias de regressar à sua terra natal, para jogar no novo Estádio do Marítimo, envergando a camisola da selecção nacional, Cristiano Ronaldo foi assunto abordado por Carlos Pereira naquele programa.
    Numa abordagem sobre a actualidade do Marítimo e da vida do futebol nacional e regional, o presidente do Marítimo começou por assumir o fracasso na contratação do treinador brasileiro PC Gusmão, no início desta temporada.
    Por outro lado, revelou a sua satisfação pelo desempenho do actual técnico Daniel Ramos que conseguiu transformar a equipa e contribuir para sua posição actual (6.º) na Liga.
    “O quinto lugar seria brilhante”, confessou o líder dos ‘verde-rubro’.
    Outro dos temas discutidos foi sobre a suspensão do brasileiro Dyego Sousa uma das principais unidades do ataque maritimista. Carlos Pereira afirmou ter ficado surpreendido apenas com a rapidez da decisão do Tribunal Arbitral do Desporto (TAD). E, acrescentou, que agora só o jogador ou o Conselho de Justiça da FPF – em quem confia – podem alterar o veredicto do TAD.
    O presidente do Marítimo revelou também que vê com muita apreensão o futuro da Liga Portuguesa de Futebol Profissional em face dos seus altos custos actuais, contrapondo mesmo com as receitas da Federação, “ a FPF está a crescer em termos de receita, enquanto a Liga está a diminuir”.
    Carlos Pereira não fugiu ao tema, sempre quente, da arbitragem e, apesar de assumir que também tem queixas –“ todos nós nos queixamos” - entende que Portugal tem uma boa qualidade no sector.
    Na Grande Entrevista da Sport Tv+, o líder maritimista não fugiu aos temas regionais com destaque para a situação em que se encontra a outra equipa da Madeira.
    “Se o Nacional vai descer a culpa não é do Marítimo” – deixou claro Carlos Pereira que, por outro lado, reconheceu que a afirmação da Madeira foi feita pelos três clubes, Marítimo, Nacional e União.
    À pergunta directa sobre as ‘velhas’ afirmações nos benefícios dos Governos Regionais ao Marítimo, o presidente ‘verde-rubro’ foi incisivo: “É falso que o Marítimo tenha sido beneficiado”. E, concluiu a ideia dizendo que - e a propósito da nova infra-estrutura criada nos Barreiros - “se há clubes prejudicados é o Marítimo. Outros abandonaram o velhinho Caldeirão dos Barreiros…e criaram novas infra-estruturas” longe da centralidade e com um duvidoso custo/benefício.
    Ainda a propósito da vinda da Selecção Nacional à Madeira e para jogar no novo Estádio do Marítimo, Carlos Pereira considerou-se um presidente feliz e deixou a ideia de que a “Região deve sentir-se orgulhosa”.
    E acrescentou, ainda, que “o Caldeirão voltou e com a selecção vai estar a ferver”.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  19. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Can't wait for this game

Hopefully we smash them and there is a campeaos chant

We need to win , with the team
    We have we should. Our attack is stronger than at the euro

20. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Me too, a 1-0 obviously is all we need but hopefully we have a class performance and win 3-0.

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am hoping we don't underestimate Hungary. They had a good Euro and showed they can score on us one way or another. I am not looking past them this is a big game and our players better be sharp.

22. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We have played Hungary 7 times with a record of 5 wins, 2 draws and no defeats. Apparently we can expect a similar match to the one we had in the Euro which was one of the most exiting games of the tournament (3-3).

Hungary so far in the group:

Faroe Islands 0 Hungary 0

Hungary 2 Switzerland 3

Latvia 0 Hungary 2

Hungary 4 Andorra 0

https://www.publico.pt/2017/03/25/d...ra-primeira-vitoria-frente-a-portugal-1766448

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hmm can't find Sanches anywhere in the starting lineup.

24. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ------------------------------Patricio---------------------------
    ------------------Fonte-------------Pepe----------------------
    cedric-----------------------------------------------------gurreiro
    ------------------------------William--------------------------------------
    ---------------Gomes--------------Joao Mario---------------------------
    Quaresma--------------------A.Silva-------------------------------Ronaldo

Bernardo Silva on the bench and andre gomes starting while he's in horrible form.

25. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think this is a slightly more defensive team with Cédric and Gomes instead of Cancelo and Bernardo. Cannot say I am not disappointed that Bernardo is not starting. Btw Benfica's use of this game as a protest is pathetic.