River Plate: El MAS GRANDE de la HISTORIA (Match Thread / General Discussion)

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Jan 19, 2019.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The whole Montiel/Mayada debate bothers me because its like the old paper vs. what actually happens on the pitch. If you play three forwards, you aren't necessarily going to be a more offensive team even if it looks all out attacking on paper, especially if the three forwards are Caruso, Pavone, and Funes Mori....

Its the same thing with Montiel. Because he is a CB, playing him at RB looks like a more defensive formation, but the guy was never a great CB by any means, and he is not naturally gifted at defending in wide spaces or coming in from the back post, as seen last night.

Meanwhile, Mayada is a naturally a midfielder, so playing him at RB seems "offensive" yet Mayada has the lung capacity to track back and the speed and awareness track runners from deep, all things Montiel is awful at.

Just look at Maradona in the 2010 World Cup. He decided he was going to be a mastermind and leave Zanetti, an attacking RB, at home and play 4 CBs across the back with Heinze and Otamendi as auxiliary laterals. This completely backfired and we were embarrassed against the Germans, but the cracks were already there against awful Mexican and South Korean teams. We weren't more offensive, we were wide open because you had to side backs who couldn't play in space, track runners, or cover the back post and it was only outdone by the humiliating display made by Sampaoli's Argentina

megamac20817 and Ron Mexico repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Matias Suarez called up to the NT for the last round of friendlies before Copa America.

Gaucho’s boy Montiel to get a shot as well

Ron Mexico and RiverGaucho repped this.
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wasted opportunity to clinch 3 points. We were clearly superior to Palestino but lacked finishing.. two crystal clear penalties not called as well (when do they begin utilizing VAR? R16?). One could argue that we should have beaten Alianza Lima as well, but I feel that match was more locked and the final 1-1 draw was a fair result. Today, though, we outplayed the Chileans from beginning to end but couldn’t find the net.

Now we must go to Porto Alegre looking for the win, or we’ll have only 2-3 points halfway through the group stage. Even though it is a difficult group, I am not necessarily worried... however, the outcome of the next two matches vs the Brazilians could be decisive.

megamac20817 and RiverGaucho repped this.
  4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

5 days ago..

[​IMG]

Today..

[​IMG]

They never learn do they? Every time a team claims to be the best in Argentina, Gallardo stuffs 3 in their asses (see Racing, Boca)

RiverGaucho and Ron Mexico repped this.
  5. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate

The win and three points are great and all, but losing JuanFer for awhile is going to hurt.

Ron Mexico and RiverGaucho repped this.
  6. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Losing Juanfer really sucks. Minimum six months out.

On the plus side, with the likes of Alvarez and Ferreira this is the best crop of young prospects we've had in a while. Unfortunately, they are going to have a lot more pressure on them now with out Quintero, but these kids seem like they're up for it

Ron Mexico repped this.
  7. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Juanfer is the best football player in Latin America IMO, he is in another level than everybody. I think his vulnerability is that River could have him in the squad now, otherwise he would be in Europe in a top league, top team and this teams knew that I think...

¡Fuerza Juanfer!

It was Zuculini's best game in River jersey, he ran to the ball in the 92. minutes like if it will be the world cup final and the result would be 0-0. Suarez is a great sign, he is a really clever and good player. Good to see Alvarez and Ferreira, those pibes will be key players in the end of the year, or earlier.

Ron Mexico and locoxriver repped this.
  8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just read on Ole that River has had 16 injuries so far in 2019... jesus

megamac20817, Ron Mexico and RiverGaucho repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    River are interested in... Pastore? I’d assume he’d have to take a major cut...

10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is this being rumored because of Quintero’s injury? Probably humo, since Gallardo likes to give chances to those who have been waiting.. in this case Ferreira, De La Cruz, and Carrascal could fill in for the Colombian, or he could go with a frontline of three (Suarez/Borre-Pratto-Scocco)

I highly doubt he’ll make a move for Pastore given the amount of options he already has, but maybe if a move is accessible they’ll make an attempt. Who knows..

11. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I kind of don't want us to be eliminated in the copa by the likes of Palestino or Alianza Lima just because D'Onofrio's cheap ass couldn't shell out a few bucks for a loan deal for Pastore. Or worst lose out on next year's copa.:sick:

12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, that’s the reason.

Pastore doesn't seem very motivated these days and it appears he's packed it in. Plus, he's constantly been injured.

locoxriver repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember him getting off to a fantastic startvand then he got injured. Seems to be the story of his life.

He’s obviously a skilled player and I wouldn’t complain if he came, but I don’t know if he’s the solution. With so many options up front (and most of them currently in form), I honestly don’t see Gallardo making a push for him.

14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Pastore came, though, would he even be eligible for the copa? Wouldn’t he have to wait til knockouts to be registered, or is there some kind of long-term injury replacement rule like there is in the league?

15. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Really? When was this rule implemented?He’s not cup tied to any other team in the tournament. I thought that was the only block. Maybe I’m thinking about Champions.

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    From my understanding there are periods of registration. 30 players registered before group stages and then you can make modifications during certain intervals during knockout stages.

I may be wrong, but that’s how I remember it being

17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That rule is correct, if he hasn't been registered yet, I don't think he can be inserted during the group stage. He would need to wait for the knock out rounds, if we make it.

Yet you all are forgetting a far bigger stumbling block than the copa registration: Why would Roma just let Pastore leave on loan in the middle of March? I also believe there may be some sort of FIFA regulation against this.

I think the Angilieri signing happened because he played in Argentina only. I don't think we could have signed a player from abroad.

I also think this is the case because most other federations have pretty strict rules about transfers, in Argentina there seems to be some "exception" to the rule if a player gets hurt or something, but in Europe I've never heard of a player changing clubs randomly halfway between two mercados.

I remember this happening with Teo back when he left Racing after the whole gun incident, and he ended up in Lanus, only to play the Copa. He played two games, they got knocked out, and he was eliminated, but he wasn't allowed to sign for a foreign team. Its much like the Centurion situation, where as soon as he was frozen out by Racing after the Coudet-gate that Godoy Cruz wanted him, no foreign team ws going to be allowed to.

I know the centurion and teo situations are different, but they do show that in Argentina, there are always weird loop holes or situations that allow for late transfers, this never happens in Europe and Pastore will be a Roma player through June, I'd bet a lot of money on it.

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol the day De La Cruz is actually playing good they give him a bs red

Ron Mexico repped this.
  19. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Nacho, Enzo and Armani were AMAZING! Good job guys, it was a great victory!

locoxriver repped this.
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Martinez Quarta probably played his best game since returning from his 7 month suspension. He finally looked his oldself, quick and confident.

Ron Mexico repped this.
  21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Armani desgarrado :thumbsdown:

22. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lux or Bologna? Well, there goes our chances for Libertadores. :(

23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ********ing Montiel..... for the love of god, how hard is it to stay a little extra after training sessions practicing crosses?

Ron Mexico and megamac20817 repped this.
  24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bien ahi, Nico!

megamac20817 repped this.
  25. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good second half by De La Cruz, honestly ghastly performances by Martinez Quarta, Montiel, Borré, Ferreira and, in the second half, Suárez.

Muñe has a lot to talk to his squad about. I hope Mayada's replacement of Martinez Quarta to shift Montiel to the center is a sign of things to come, or at the very least that Muñe realizes that we should get an actual RB in June.