River Plate 2017-18 Season: News & Match Discussion [r]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Dec 29, 2016.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another massive three points.

Battalla was immense in the second half.

I was kind of resigned to a draw for a while, but the whole team deserves massive credit for the result, and that final goal was great team work from Alario to hold it up and play in Mayada who forced a good save from their keeper, to Mora who kept the ball in play, then of course Alario again for the cool finish.

We're now 3 points ahead of Independiente Medellin, but with a game in hand, and we're all but assured a spot in the last 16.

Stil have much to improve, but in away matches in the Copa the result is really the only thing that matters.

Vamooooos carajo

Ron Mexico and locoxriver repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This.. Winning in Medellin vs. Independiente is not an easy task. A lot of teams would settle for the draw... Emelec at home has always been a tough visit, and really any team is happy to leave with a point.

The fact that River left both venues victorious is more than impressive. The team has surpassed two very difficult tests and proven that they can take on any rival and setting in the copa.

A win in our next game would officially clinch our spot in the Round of Sixteen, even with two group matches left to play. Very commendable work from Gallardo.

Vamos millo

Ron Mexico and RiverGaucho repped this.
  3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dejo esto por acá
    C-duT-WWsAAgMA4.jpg

Ron Mexico repped this.
  4. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I still think Casco is a cancer to the team

RiverGaucho repped this.
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who else but Alario? The kid always comes through. You can only hold him quiet for so long. I hope he gets a closer look in the seleccion. The kid has what it takes unlike a former gallina.

[​IMG]

RiverGaucho repped this.
  6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well to be honest Alario didn't have the greatest of games... He even missed a one-on-one chance prior to the goal that you would have been all over Higuain for.

but yes, Alario a la seleccion... de una

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's a striker, he's going to miss a chance here and there. You give a player the benefit of the doubt until you can't any longer.

Giving anybody that is not named Fatso is a plus. For nearly a decade Fatso has been our 9 and he's given us nothing. it's time to move on and give others a chance.

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh, I agree with you. It might have sounded like it, but I wasn't being sarcastic when I said "but yes, Alario a la seleccion de una..."... I've been waiting to see new players tried in Higuain's spot for a long time, just like you.

Just pointing out that Alario didn't have the best of games that night. Probably one of his worst since he put on a River jersey, to be honest.

RiverGaucho and SupaMario repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We're on the same page, loco. My entire point was, even if he was having a stinker out there, he still got a crucial goal in a difficult match. For such a young player to continue to show up for important matches, it is refreshing to see.

RiverGaucho and locoxriver repped this.
  10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ganar, Gustar, y Golear. Brilliant match to warm up before the superclasico, and damn what an absolute golazo from Mayada. I've always liked Mayada but DAMN i didn't think he had that kind of strike in him. True golazo the way he was able to curl it into the top corner and also from pretty much a standing start. It reminded me a lot of Messi's goal vs Iran in the world cup in 2014, though right footed.

And the two guys up front Driussi and Alario are just out of this world and it was good to see Mora with another assist

megamac20817, locoxriver and Ron Mexico repped this.
  11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi sabe... :p

[​IMG]

megamac20817, RiverGaucho and Ron Mexico repped this.
  13. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lepra supporters getting triggered. Lol

14. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The thing that is amazing about the original picture is he has Lanzini, Chori Dominguez, Aimar, and Vangioni... And he has Vangioni's River shirt, not Newells :ROFLMAO: And the best thing... He doesn't have a boca OR ex boca shirt. No tevez, no riquelme, no palermo. AWESOME. He even has scrubs like Leo Franco and Rodrigo de Paul, but no bosteros :thumbsup:

Ron Mexico, locoxriver and megamac20817 repped this.
  15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also worth bringing up, Patricio Loustau has been named as the referee for Sunday's Superclasico. Oh known Boca supporter, he was the man in charge in 2011 when herefused to give no fewer than 7 clear penalties and sent off Almeyda... The guy should never have been chosen for this match given his record in this fixture, but considering who's in control of the AFA it should be no surprise. With Boca in free fall since the start of the year, Angelici and Tapia need to put a stop to it so they can assure the title, so they've called in one of their thugs to get the job done. Sunday just got a whoooooleee lot harder (and don't forget, if the ref can't give them the 3 points, they'll call in El Panadero to suspend the match)

C8auNpFXoAMzeMx.jpg

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah... The worst part is Loustau was picked "by hand" by AFA. In other words, Angelici pretty much picked the ref he wanted for the game.

Lets hope for no bs... The last few Supers had been reffed correctly, lets not take it back to when they'd give Boca ridiculous calls.

megamac20817 repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #93 RiverGaucho, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    River is in the next round with a point tonight. Its not the perfect result obviously, but getting through to the next round is a huge result

The good
    Mora was great. He scored the penalty goal and was all over the field. He played well up front, but helped out tracking back. He deserves to play the clasico IMO. Nacho is a starter, but is it worth the risk when you have Mora in such good form? I know they have completely different characteristics and alter the way River will play, but Mora is a sure thing, whereas Nacho may not be ready.

Mayada is a great professional. In the era where players are spoiled brats, its great to see this guy. The last Emelec game he came in as a right midfielder and helped make the winning goal, Sunday vs Temperley he came on as a left midfielder and scored a golazo, tonight he played as a right back, then right wingback and put in a good performance. Never complains. Never demands minutes, plays where ever you tell him. I love him.

Auzqui looked active, won the penalty, and almost won the game late with a shot against the crossbar.

Larrondo played and actually looked like a footballer for the first time in a river shirt. He scored a great goal that was ruled off sides, I'm not sure if it was, but the finish was quality, in his previous 8 or so games he couldn't even control a ball.

Mina played. He wasn't that bad and even had a few decent interventions. I say this as a good thing, because even though he was rightly benched, I feel like it was really harsh to not even take him to the bench and sending him to the reserves, especially since players like Domingo were always called up and even got a few starts. How many goals have Battalla and M Quarta cost us? Many. Yet they both start (rightly so, I'm just point out how sad Mina's situation is) Mina definitely isn't good enough to start, but the guy doesn't deserve to be embarrassed like he has been, the guy scored a goal in a superclasico then never played again until tonight, which is unheard of. I honestly think Gallardo was punishing him for the comments he made after the last superclasico in el monumental when he said he was hoping to make the jump to Europe after such an awful game. M Quarta was at fault for all three goals against Lanus, yet never came out, not even for one minute. So while I sustain that Mina is very rustic and lost his spot fairly, he should be ahead of Lollo, who was good tonight but still way off, and especially of Montiel, who to me seems average at best and no where near the likes of Quarta, Pezzella, Balanta, and other CBs we've seen come through the club

The bad
    The goal was a complete mess. M Quarta and Battalla are clearly two cracks, but they each have at least one ******** up per game. Tonight, it came on the same play, and the result was a goal. We are through to the next round and clearly the favorite to win the copa, but we haven't kept a clean sheet and thats worrying.

Domingo is a horrendous footballer and needs to leave River ASAP.

The whole 2nd string midfield is sub par. There is no creativity or thought processing between Rossi, Arzura, and Domingo. We should maybe look to add a back up offensive midfielder in June.

Now, onto more important things...

VAMOS CARAJO!!!

megamac20817, Ron Mexico and locoxriver repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Excellent post, Gaucho.. I agree with every last word.

As for an offensive addition to our midfield in June.... Enzo Perez? Francescoli already began talks with him months ago, and now it looks like Valencia's new coach is separating him from the team. He would be ideal in Gallardo's scheme, a real reinforcement..

I know a lot of people want Chori Dominguez to return, but I think he may already be past his best. He will be turning 36 in a month and just had his least active season in the last 7 years, both in terms of matches played and goals scored. Of course I'd welcome him with open arms because of all that he did for the club, but at this point River should look to continue expanding. The mentality should be to form a group that would compete with the elite in Europe, not just settle for what we can.

megamac20817, RiverGaucho and Ron Mexico repped this.
  20. Tom Bridge

Tom Bridge New Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Hi, new here and maybe this is the wrong thread, but can anyone here tell me how to watch the superclasico on Sunday from chicago? I'm sick of the terrible YouTube channels yet that seems to be the only way, I would gladly pay for any service that would stream the game in good quality.

21. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't seem to mind the futbol para troncos channel. Probably because I would have it at one of my dual monitors at my desk so the quality isn't too bad when it's on a 23 inch 1080p monitor.

22. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know man, the biggest flaw in the AFA, after the corruption obv, is that they haven't sorted out the TV rights. I would like to see a future where the clubs can sell their rights to overseas viewers via streaming. I live in Argentina, but travel a bit and have family in the US, so I'd gladly pay 10 USD for a season pass or something if they could guarantee me a quality feed.

Its also unlucky you're in Chicago which is the only major city/region without an official River fan club: NYC, Washington DC, Miami, and LA all have them and they seem to always be watching the matches in high quality from the pictures I see on Facebook, etc. Try searching social media and see if there is an unofficial fan club in your area then you can also be with more fans

megamac20817 repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Barring any last minute inconveniences, Nacho Fernandez is set to return to the first team for the superclasico

[​IMG]

RiverGaucho repped this.
  24. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Batalla :mad::mad::mad:

We MUST buy a goalkeeper in Summer.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  25. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Battalla's error was horrible, but Moreira's foul was stupid given the situation. Gave the bosteros a life line they didn't deserve just like the last ********ing clasico. HAY QUE GANAR :mad::mad::mad: