River Plate 2017-18 Season: News & Match Discussion [r]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Dec 29, 2016.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope I'm not committing blasphemy here, but is Gallardo staying a good thing? I know most of last night's game comes down to Lux being a complete idiot, but our form in the local league is just embarrassing since el Muñe took over.

I really love him, but I see boca creeping up on us in the historical standings and the overall titles while we flounder around mid table. I also see how European teams can play the same team basically each week even w/ midweek champions league, obviously with some exceptions, yet we can't even do it when we play Lanus who is a 45 minute bus ride away, or against Racing when Funes Mori threw the league title away back in 2014.

I'm just so frustrated that the local league used to be our bread and butter, now we can't even win a game. I don't think it should be "La copa o el torneo local" it should be both. Nos quedams sin pan y sin la torta

megamac20817 repped this.
  2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    BTW, we have 78 more points than the dirty people across the way, but they are chipping away. Independiente had a massive lead over CASLA and are now 62 points behind them.

I know many people may not care, but to me being top in the historical table is more important than almost anything. We need to turn this around fast. We can't lose to teams like el rojo its just sad

3. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think you’re thinking of Gonzalez Pirez being responsible for 2 goals against Argentinos which lead Racing to their once in a lifetime title win.

4. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

And yes, Gonzalez Pirez is a muerto. The fact that he is a big star in MLS shows how poor the league is, but Funes Mori, despite being a hero in Libertadores and in La Bombonera, had a history of monumental, amateurish ******** ups

5. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I guess I forgot his career was full of blunders prior to his Libertadores form. Lol.

6. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Well it wasn't pretty, but it's three points and a W. Am I the only one that hates the formation that Gallardo uses?

Ron Mexico repped this.
  7. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not a fan. We need to play with two up front. And while Borre is still not 100% convincing, he is clearly a better option than Auzqui who doesn't contribute anything to the team. Borre at least provided a goal threat and the only way he is going to improve and adapt is by getting minutes and starts in particular.

8. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
  9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That top/jacket is not new. Its definitely from a few years ago, so you would find it on the adidas or River website.

I think your best bet is eBay or mercado libre because I'm pretty sure that from like 2013.

A nice alternative i'd recommend are the Adidas originals training tops based on the famous 1986 treble winning team featuring Francescoli, Alzamendi, Alonso, Ruggeri, Pumpido, Negro Enrique, etc. If you're in Bs As they will have it at any River Plate store, Adidas store, or Adidas Originals Store. Or http://www.tiendariver.com/indument...plate-originals-2016-17/prod002-1399-044.html though sadly the red is sold out

Unknown.jpeg

tedmak repped this.
  10. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
    upload_2017-11-24_18-4-40.png

Thanks for the help - also found this as an alternative but, alas, it is sold out on Amazon.

11. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
    Mercado libre was exactly the place - thanks

12. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is hard to say, because I've been such a massive fan of his practically from the start, but Maidana's time in the starting XI has reached its nadir. And I find it especially hard, because I've seen him recover from a dip in form before, but this time feels... persistent.

That's not to say he's the only one I hope to see replaced this transfer window: I'm not sure Nacho Fernandez is up to scratch, and Auzqui is just not good enough (I'm having flashbacks to Menseguez).

The only slightest silver lining I saw is that - at least - Bologna is competent. It was honestly reassuring to see a keeper who actually keeps his cool in situations that had me on edge because with Lux or Batalla they would have been a gamble or a goal, like the lob attempt he got his hand to. I know it's an odd thing to say after losing 3-1, but I can't honestly fault him for the goals...

locoxriver repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bologna might not be a top keeper, but I'm fairly confident we wouldn't have been eliminated by Lanus had he been in goal. With Lux it was just like every approach they made ended in goal. Vs. Union the other day, for example, I know for sure several of the stops Beto made would have been goals under Lux/Batalla. Oh well...

Regarding Maidana, I completely agree. He has been beyond slow and ineffective for over a year now. He still has balls and leadership, but if you pair him with another slow CB like Pinola or Barboza (as we have been doing), then it's a complete disaster. It will be a relief having Martinez Quarta back next year, and maybe we should begin trying Montiel as a CB again now that Moreira returned from his injury. Barboza has to go... not River level. Call Holan and ask him if he still wants him for Independiente.

As for your Auzqui=Menseguez statement, you couldn't be more spot on with the comparison. I don't know how much better the kid Borre is, even if he has scored a goal or two here and there. He seems way to light and hasn't really shown a sign of progression.

We need to bring a GK, a 5, and a 9. A creative midfielder would be very useful as well, especially if Pity ends up leaving in the transfer window.

So sad how a season with so much potential is ending up this way. No doubt the losses of Alario, Driussi, Martinez Quarta, and Mayada half-way through it ended up effecting us tremendously. This team isn't even a shadow of the one that completely outplayed Boca in la bombonera just months ago.

14. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    His assist was perfect though, I'll give him that. I think he is pretty promising, but I would still love to see a more polished striker in his spot.

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True about the assist.

Good to see Mora is about to return... never thought we'd miss him so much, but next to Auzqui he's Messi

16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What a player Tagliafico is. And to think our directors decided to bring cAsco. I truly hope D'Onofio loses the election Sunday. While its true we won quite a bit under his directorship, and it was certainly better than DAP's or (shutters) Aguilar's, he basically lived on the 2014-15 successes for the last two years.

Personally, I don't know is Casselli is any better, but he has Trezeguet and Crespo on his team. Francescoli may be one of River's all time great idols, but he has proven to be incompetent as a director. Trezeguet has direct experience working for Juventus over the last few years. Who knows is Trezeguet would be good in south America where he clearly won't have as many contacts, but he could do any worse than Enzo.

The other thing that makes D'Onofrio's potential triumph very worrying is that he will have no motivation to bring in any players. We saw what happened in Aguilar's second mandate...

17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jesus, can we just accidentally forget Casco in Orlando when preseason rolls around or something? The guy is really desperately trying to take Arano's title of "worst player to don the shirt". And to think we fought hand-in-hand with Boca to get this guy from Newell's. Mamita, the bosteros reaaaaally have to thank us for saving them from this headache.

PLEAAAASE no more Casco, Rossi, Auzqui. I've had enough of these players that aren't good enough to start for Chacarita, let alone River.

megamac20817 and balazsriver10 repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Balanta received a lot of criticism in the last part of his spell in River, but do you guys think he would have been any worse than Maidana, Pinola, and Barboza are at the moment had he stayed?

Another completely random question: what ever happened to the kid Franco "Dinho" Lopez? Was he just very overhyped? Gallardo made him debut with just 17 years of age two years ago, but since then he has been completely erased. It made sense when we had Alario, Driussi, Mora, Alonso, but with our deficit of forwards at the moment you'd think he'd at least get a chance to train with the first team.

19. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its hard to tell because Balanta suffered from a complete loss of confidence after his long injury lay off. One minute he was being compared to Passarella and linked with Barcelona and the next he literally became our worst player. He's still the only player I can remember who asked to be subbed off because he was literally playing so badly and was incapable of stopping the Chapacoense attack then cried on the bench.

eder-alvarez-balanta.jpg

To me it was clear that Eder just needed a change of scenery and a chance to start over. I haven't seen Basel play this year, but they advanced out of their group in the champions league over a team like Benfica, who traditionally does so well in that competition, and Eder has started all he games. So while yes, I think Balanta is a better player over all than Pinola, but it just wasn't going to work for him at River. I think he is really benefiting from playing in a less demanding league like the Swiss as well where you only really need to concentrate on the UCL. I do wish him the best, always liked him and seems like such a genuine guy.

Another interesting thing I was reading is that the Argentine club with most matches played in the calendar year of 2017 is Atletico Tucuman with 48, including the up coming cup final. Flamengo played 83 if you include the return leg of the Sudamericana. Now I know Brazilian clubs play a lot of meaningless matches in the state tournaments, but its literally just astounding to me how they've ruined Argentina football with the current league set up.

And next year, our teams will play even fewer games because our current tournament is only 27 rounds and the following tournament is rumored to be only 25 rounds. I seriously don't know how the clubs can stand for potentially only having 25 rounds, 13 fewer than the important leagues and then during the Apertura/Clausura. Not only is this a financial hit on the clubs, but it sucks as a fan. After the Copa Final on Saturday we don't play again until February. No other league in the world has such a long layoff. I also don't see our socios dues being lowered despite the lack of football we get to see.

This is why I just laugh that they call this tournament the "Superliga" when in reality we play fewer games than in Uruguay or Denmark or any small country you can think of.

20. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Enzo Pérez, what a player he is... Total Crack!!! We said nice goodbye to this horrible year, congratulations for the team to win again Copa Argentina! Next year we will have 3 very important reinforcements: Mora, M. Quarta and Mayada!

¡River el más grande del Mundo!

megamac20817 and Ron Mexico repped this.
  21. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No jugó Casco y salimos campeones :)

But Saracchi had a rough game. Uff!

megamac20817 and locoxriver repped this.
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looking forward to facing the bosteros for the Supercup. That's the real positive from this title.

Now lets focus on bringing in some quality reinforcements, because the current XI are not going to put up a fight in next year's Libertadores, that's clear.

megamac20817, RiverGaucho and Ron Mexico repped this.
  23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Casco-curse lives on. If he plays, its impossible for us to win a big match. Let us hope the Nexaca rumors are true

Saracchi was not great, but he did pick out Nacho for the second and his attacking always provides a threat the opposition must be prepared for. So while his defensive game was poor, Maidana and Pinola were far worse and IMO are the two players we really need to replace along with the GK position.

Scocco has certainly been a good reinforcement, we just need to find someone to pair with him to really get the best out of him. Without him, this entire semester would have been a total lost. We would have been eliminated by Defensa y Justicia in this Copa.

The Supercopa will be fun, we need revenge on the Bosteros, badly.

I have to admit I enjoyed and celebrated a bit, but it does feel a bit empty I must say, but overall please. Aguante RIVER TODAVIA

megamac20817 and locoxriver repped this.
  24. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Am I the only one not excited about D'Onofrio's reelection? I had a feeling he who would win, but my god, it was a landslide. What exactly has he done recently to deserve a landslide victory? Also, why does it seem like River fans have become a bit complacent in regards to what happened in the Libertadores and the Superliga? Seems like because Gallardo is the coach and we won the Sudamericana and Libertadores during D'Onofrio's reign they get a pass. We won the Copa Argentina this year but the objective was to win the Libertadores and the way we were eliminated from the Libertadores was inexcuseable. Many will probably disagree with me, but after the elimination by Lanus, then losing to Boca in the Superclásico, Gallardo should've resigned. With D'Onofrio winning again and Gallardo at the helm I honestly don't see anything chaning. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Gallardo lost this team after Lanus eliminated us.

Ron Mexico and megamac20817 repped this.
  25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just realized the group stage was drawn for next year's Libertadores.. we got an interesting group:

Flamengo (Sudamericana 2017 finalists) + Emelec (gave us a tough time last year) + undetermined 3rd rival

The third rival will be one of the follow:

Deportivo Macara (Ecuador)
    Deportivo Tachira (Venezuela)
    Santiago Wanderes (Chile)
    Melgar (Peru)
    Independiente Santa Fe (Colombia)

A hypothetical River, Flamengo, Emelec, Independiente group is fair game for anyone really...

Ron Mexico repped this.