River Plate 2017-18 Season: News & Match Discussion [r]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Dec 29, 2016.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm really excited to see the match tonight, especially after the farcical performance from the national team and in particular the muerto benedetto. It will be good to see the best Argentine striker playing right now: Nacho Scocco.

It appears both Saracchi and De La Cruz will be in the starting line up. Borre also looks set to start so it will be a big test for the three pibes, but it will be a experienced line up as well with

14-Germán Lux; 29-Gonzalo Montiel, 2-Jonatan Maidana, 22-Javier Pinola, 3-Marcelo Saracchi; 17-Carlos Auzqui, 23-Leonardo Ponzio, 16-Ariel Rojas, 11-Nicolás De la Cruz; 19-Rafael Borré y 32-Ignacio Scocco.

PD- I just remember as I was looking through the squad for the match that Casco is with the seleccion :ROFLMAO:

megamac20817 and locoxriver repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    que golaaaazoooo de scocco! crackkkk... i think he's going for 5 goals again :laugh:

megamac20817 and Ron Mexico repped this.
  3. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Scocco is slowly recreating that beastly form he had a few years ago with Newell's.

If he keeps this up he'll make me not miss Alario at all.

megamac20817, RiverGaucho and locoxriver repped this.
  4. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Only Argentine club still competing on 3 fronts:
    DLoARtIXcAA-gNd.jpg

OLE_20171008_02.jpg

megamac20817 repped this.
  6. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know its way down our priority list, but Atlanta beating Belgrano means our path to the Copa Argentina Final has just been made even easier. While we know games aren't played on paper, the club from Villa Crespo is two divisions below us, in the third tier.

The match will be played the 18th of October- a week before the Libertadores semi- so it remains to be seen what kind of line up Muñeco will pick, but if he picks anything like a full strength side, we should have no trouble getting past them and into yet another semifinal.

7. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    ¡Vamos Argentina! Greetings from Hungary guys!

megamac20817, RiverGaucho and locoxriver repped this.
  8. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Glad Argentina qualified and that this nonsense is over. Now we don't have to think about it until May... And we can move back to the important things in life :thumbsup:

CX_LgN1WAAEHCog.jpg

9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    New away jersey being presented:

camiseta-river-660-x-400.jpg

DL4zzutWAAc7L_7.jpg

I like this one sliiightly better than the home kit. It is loosely based on this GEM from 93-94

emva-1.png

Honestly if they had just made a carbon copy of that beauty i'd have been first in line to buy it... If anyone know where this can be found on eBay or mercadolibre or anywhere please let me know, this one is masterpiece missing from my collection. Do you have it loco?

10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, it is one of the few missing in my collection, unfortunately. We'll cross paths sooner or later..

11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You have to be careful with eBay sellers selling jerseys. I am kinda opposed of wearing "hero" jerseys or jerseys of teams I do not support but a few years back I found a Bati Fiorentina jersey I always loved. Bati being an idol of mine and being a beautiful jersey, I was about to pull the trigger. I e-mailed the guy who was honest with me and said it was a reprint from the 2000's and not the original from the early 90's. I didn't go with the purchase. It just wouldn't have felt right for me(Even though every now and then I'll buy retro Jordan sneakers.).

So, many older jerseys you see for sale are retros rather than from the original year. Or they're bad copies that are made in some backlot factory in Hong Kong.

But, I guess it is kinda hard finding the perfect jersey that is in mint condition that is 20+ years old.

BTW, this was the jersey.

[​IMG]

This is another jersey I'd like to get one day.

[​IMG]

12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Adidas Originals in Argentina made a retro-reprint of Goyco jersey a few years ago that was nice.

They are doing this a lot, i first got a Zico Flamengo "new retro" by adidas originals when I was visiting Rio and was infuriated that Adidas didn't do the same for River, then they came out with a retro line from the famous 1986 season just days after I made my request. I got this one last year:

AY2669_01_laydown.jpg

francescoli86-567x378.jpg

So its not the original from 1986, but it is at least made by adidas and i had to get it for all the history the shirt has behind it, and it looks pretty damn good too.

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like Gallardo will be lining-up an alternative team tomorrow, with Barboza getting another shot, Montiel playing in his natural position, Palacios playing from the get-go, and De La Cruz/Borre trying to create up front:

Lux;
    Moreira-Montiel-Barboza-Casco;
    Palacios-Rossi-Rojas;
    De La Cruz;
    Auzqui-Santos Borre​

Hopefully it works out fine.. Personally, I would have put the starters tomorrow and this team midweek vs Atlanta since we can't afford to drop any more points in the league, but hopefully we win both games regardless.

Ron Mexico repped this.
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And so Gallardo's legacy of giving away the league continues...

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think we all can agree Barboza isn't living up to the hype. While good at Defensa y Justicia, he seems too slow and not up to River standards. I know he has only started a few games so far, but he has been the weakpoint of the team everytime he has been given a chance to play.

With Martinez Quarta returning in December, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him move to Independiente or one of the other teams that were interested in him a few months ago.

16. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I think it's safe to say the pressure for playing for a club like River has got the best of Barboza. I, along with many others I imagine, wanted him to return from his loan with DYJ. Unfortunately, it looks like he should've remained on loan. A shame, I was hoping to see good things from him in a River jersey.

megamac20817, locoxriver and RiverGaucho repped this.
  17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    El Muñeco hit it on the head... Playing for River is different, the pressure, and we are a team that always has the ball, while a team like Defensa y Justicia is used to defending...

I also think it is worrying when a defender becomes known for his goalscoring prowess... We saw that with Balanta... Its obviously nice if a defender can chip in with a few goals, but if its their main strength.... bad news.

megamac20817 repped this.
  18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Damn.... Balanta! What has he been up to? Incredible the descent he took from being one of the biggest prospects in the world to not even making noise in the Swiss league

Ron Mexico repped this.
  19. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oh Balanta. What could've been.:(

locoxriver repped this.
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #270 locoxriver, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Pity Martinez, De la Cruz, Enzo Perez, Nacho Fernandez, and Scocco all at the same time? Very interested in seeing what this midfield could do today, loads of talent all over the place

Also hoping the Uruguayan cements his spot in the first team with a solid performance tonight.

21. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Que crack Nacho Scocco! Y Saracchi también.

Vamos River a seguir así!

22. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It seems Moreira is out with a muscle injury, potentially for two weeks. Apparently Montiel is going to replace him, but frankly I would have been okay with seeing Gallardo try Casco on the right just so that Saracchi can continue getting chances to keep the spot.

23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What I had heard prior to Moreira's injury was that Montiel was winning the race between the two to start vs Lanus anyway, so the injury didn't change much.

As for Saracchi, apparently Muñe is undecided between him and Casco for Tuesday. There is a concrete chance the Uruguayan will start. Myself and millions of other River fans join you in hoping he does. Probably not @DaDroopDogg though, I know how much he loves Milton

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Something worth noting: Leo Ponzio is on the verge of a suspension in the Copa Libertadores. If he gets a yellow in the first leg vs. Lanus, he'll miss the return leg in La Fortaleza.... if he's receives a yellow next week, he'd miss a hypothetical final.

It is hard to imagine Leo not getting a yellow in 3 games... hell, it's hard for me to see him even leaving Tuesday without a yellow to his name. Quite worrying, as it would be frightening to play a Libertadores semifinal/final with Rossi as our #5.

Cuidate Leo!

Ron Mexico repped this.
  25. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am so nervous for this match. There is just something about playing another Argentine club in the Libertadores or Sudamericana that makes the stakes so much higher.

The good news is, that even the LPM is still saying Casco is going to start, most of the River journalists on twitter are saying it'll be Saracchi. Obviously we saw against Wilstermann that Gallardo threw a massive curveball and put out a formation no one could have predicted, but for tonight it seems more straightforward. It'll be a tough game for the pibe with Silva bombing down that side, but I still have more faith in him than Casco. In this game we're going to have the ball more, and we need someone who can actually create and put in a decent cross, something Casco hasn't done once since he arrived two years ago.

The thing that is really most worrying, aside from Lanus's speedy wingers, is as loco says, Ponzio and his yellow card situation. I honestly think we will need him more in the second leg away at Lanus than in the first leg of a hypothetical final, but you can't tell a player like Ponzio to play conditioned thinking about a yellow, it would just throw off his hole game.

Sadly, I think we just need to be prepared for him to see a yellow and miss the second match, I just don't see how it can be avoided considering the way Lanus plays especially.

VAMOS RIVER