River Plate 2017-18 Season: News & Match Discussion [r]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think our scoreless draws were the result of a slow start to the season.

That beat down of Racing really lit a fire on this team in attack. We’ve been rock solid in defense and we just needed our guys to shake some off the rust from the summer (winter) break. It certainly doesn’t help that Prato isn’t scoring goals but he hasn’t been terrible from what I’m seeing. It’s just that with all the money that was spent on the guy we’d at least expect hat tricks against scrubs like Argentinos and Boca (lol)

megamac20817 and locoxriver repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, the defense has been impressive: it isn’t easy maintaining clean sheets over 3 consecutive Libertadores knockout matches + a Superclasico. Of course Armani is a big part of it, but Maidana, Pinola, and Casco have all picked up their levels once again. Let’s hope they can maintain it throughout the long season (M Quarta and Moreira will be waiting patiently in case anyone falters)

It is clear that this team is on another level than anyone else in the league.. People talking about “los 3 planteles de boca” or “racing es el que mejor juega”, yet we made both teams look like absolute scrubs. The difference is appalling, it’s just a different class. 29 games undefeated, second time in a row disgracing the bosteros in their own home.

And of course tactically speaking there’s no one on Gallardo’s level. I don’t know how he does it, but he transforms players into lions for these big games. It is commendable, I never saw such a thing even with greats like Ramon Diaz. The fact that he has managed to replace so many key players in his scheme effortlesly (Alario, Driussi, Barovero, Sanchez, Funes Mori, Kranevitter, etc.) proves that it’s in the guidance of the team and not the names.

No te vayas nunca Muñe!

3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Moreira key right there for our tying goal vs Lanus... he brings that offensive function to the team that Montiel perhaps lacks

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lollo is still trash.. we should have let him go when a handful of teams came asking for him in August

Ron Mexico repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What a difference just one player can make.. I have no doubt that with Lux we'd be down right now vs Lanus (probably 1-3), and we would have definitely lost the first leg vs. Independiente. Boca would have probably scored on us as well on Sunday, and thus the whole outcome of that match would have likely been different.

Thank god for Armani.. Without his saves our reality would be very different. It's a shame we wasted 18 months with Lux and Batalla, if not our trophy cabinet would be even more stacked right now.

megamac20817 and Ron Mexico repped this.
  6. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It also doesn't help Lollo that this is the worst I've seen River look defensively this season, so far.

locoxriver repped this.
  7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True... Martinez Quarta has never been the same since he returned from his suspension. It clearly took a hit on his confidence -- at the time he was a wall defensively and was even scoring bicycle kicks for fun lol

Hopefully he returns to his old self... At least he has plenty of time, while Lollo is pretty much expired by now. Maybe we can send him to ride Defensa y Justicia's bench next to his buddy Larrondo

megamac20817 repped this.
  8. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As we are talking shit, Lollo (slightly) redeems himself. Lol. But Quintero's passing is on fire.

megamac20817, locoxriver and pepinointer repped this.
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What a moment Palacios is going through.. nothing but WIN from this kid.

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Palacios is just a crack. I have made this comparison on here before, but he reminds me so much of Carlitos Sanchez with his ability to arrive in the area. His goal against Lanus reminded me of one he scored in the Torneo Local against San Lorenzo. The kid has all the potential in the world, we just need to make sure we get as much use out of him as possible before he is sold.

I think Santiago Sosa also looks like an interesting prospect and maybe De La Cruz can actually start contributing, as he's finally scored his first official goal (I believe he had one in a friendly)

The game today is huge and I think we are massive favorites. I am going to be interested what line up Gallardo ends up going with. For me, Scocco has to be in the line up as it appears he's reached his best form and he has never let River down in a big match.

The midfield base seems set in stone with Nacho, Ponzio and Palacios, which leaves 4 players vying for three spots with Pity most likely out. My personal preference would be Quintero, Scocco, and Borre, but I think it will be Scocco, Pratto, and Borre, but lets see what El Muñeco decides. We need to have faith in him as he doesn't let us down in big matches either.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I thought the team was playing better without Nacho Fernandez.. just a lot more powerful offensively. Maybe it wasn’t a coincidence that we couldn’t score in most games until he got injured? I really feel the Boca game would have been different with him on the pitch since the team would have been so much less dynamjc.

Oh well.. he’s fit and starting again tonight.

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Borre-Pratto-Scocco in the end....

Quintero to the bench, Pity Martinez out..

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    SCOCCO!!! You were right Gaucho --- he always scores in the important games.

Also Borre has gotten soooooo much better in recent months. Class assist.

VAMOS!

balazsriver10 repped this.
  14. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ********ING GOLAZO... jesus christ, the improvements Borre has made in recent times is fascinating

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The press and others often rotate between Boca, Independiente, and Racing being the "best" Argentine teams..... Gallardo handled all 3 in +/- a one month span.

RIVER ES EL UNICO GRANDE, PAPA. Los demas no existen!

16. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Borre is just so fvcking good! We beat the washed-up, Boca rejects. Ahora semifinalistas!!!!

megamac20817, pepinointer and locoxriver repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also I just realized it was Domingo that gave that horrendous pass that led to our counterattack/3rd goal to seal the game

Looks like he's still a Riverplatense at heart :D

Jokes aside, good thing we got rid of that muerto.. I was hearing the other day that he is one of the fans' favorite players at Independiente. What a small club...

megamac20817, RiverGaucho and Ron Mexico repped this.
  18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What more can be said about Scocco? Since he arrived he has really put the ball in the net when it matters most, from his first game in Paraguay, to the 5 goals against The Strongest, to even scoring two in the disaster in Lanus, the Superfinal, in La Bombonera, and last night. Don't wanna be a downer, but how amazing would it have been had we had him when he was 28 when we all thought he would come?

Quintero IMO always need to be a starter. I agree its important to have players on the bench who can change the match, but I don't think we should just "gift" the opposition 45 minutes. Nacho Fernandez had one nice pass to scocco, but did literally nothing else but throw himself on the ground and complain to the ref. Quintero, even when he is not having a good match, always has the potential to unlock a match.

Borre has not only started scoring goals and making assists, but he is also doing all the hold up play and pressing that Pratto was supposed to have been good at. The kid has the potential to really be a star

Palacios is also a tremendous crack. His shooting and passing was off last night, but he recovered a bunch of balls, won some tackles, and made a few interceptions like he was a veteran #5.

I don't know if it would work in the semifinal against a strong team like Gremio, but in the Superliga or Copa Argentina I'd like to see a team with no Nacho Fernandez or Pratto and Scocco, Borre, Quintero, and Pity all on the field together with Ponzio and Palacios

Vamos River todavia!!!!

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The only thing I can think of is that he has not played this much in almost 4 years. It may be taking its toll since he really has never been known for his stamina or his fitness.
    I think El Muñeco probably has a good pulse on how much he can push JuanFer physically. But that is my outsider's perspective.

It is great to see the hold up play and the assists but I still want to see more efficiency from his shots.
    That Golazo was a very good chance he took. Nine times out of ten he usually sends that way over the bar. The technique he showed and the calmness was unlike anything I have seen from him recently.
    Hopefully it sparks his confidence to do more.

megamac20817 and RiverGaucho repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There was also a play in the second half where Santos Borre was on the wing and tried to dance his way past a defender and slipped on a banana peel. He did do a nice job to recover and pass the ball but it just looked so awkward to me.

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

CRACK!

Anyway.... 32 games undefeated, only Argentine team still fighting all 3 competitions. Sos lo maximo RIVER!

Ron Mexico, RiverGaucho and megamac20817 repped this.
  22. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Armani got hurt and will miss the tour with the National Team. I hope Brazil scores 5 on us so Franco remains the undisputed number 1...

However, it is good news to see Palacios, Pity, and Armani miss the useless friendlies and the whole squad can get some much needed rest before the semis against Gremio.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    :eek::D

24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I honestly don't care about the rivalry between Argentina Brazil. Sure, in a world cup it would be one thing, but in some friendly in the middle east that just breaks up the rhythm of the club season? No I don't care

To me its more important to see Armani as Argentina's number 1 than to beat Brazil in a meaningless match.

megamac20817 repped this.
  25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ******** this Argentina-Brazil game... I can't wait for next Tuesday to arrive for the real game. Va a ser un partidazooo

RiverGaucho repped this.