River Plate 2016 Season: La Reestructuracion del Millo [R]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Jan 23, 2016.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

VAMOS RIVER!

Ron Mexico repped this.
  2. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
  3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The key thing about D'Alessandro is that he is coming from a club where he was the man, and he got them to the semifinal of the Libertadores last season single handedly, where his own team blew it with comical defending against tigres. He is older than Saviola, but he know South American football, and like Alonso, he has been playing football while Saviola sat on the bench for a year at Hellas Verona. Age is relative.

This is an incredible signing. I'm absolutely pumped about this. He is the player we were missing. With D'Alessandro, Nacho, Lucho, and not to mention Piscu, River is actually going to be able to create football this season. I don't know how many other teams in Argentina can say that. Plus, we'll still have the huevos and garra we built under Gallardo with our warriors Ponzio, Mercado, and Maidana

We are now without a doubt the odds on favorite for the Libertadores. I dont see the brasilians being that strong I think our biggest challenge will be from the argentine clubs- Racing, Boca, San Lorenzo, and Rosario Central all have good teams and they all got stronger (accept Boca who lost calleri and gained osvaldo). It's going to be a dog fight but I don't think River has anything to envy of any team on the continent.

Vamos carajo!!!!

locoxriver repped this.
  4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    D'Alessandro, Lucho, Nacho, Piscu, Alario, Mora... :eek:

Alonso and Driussi could also pull off some surprises

Excited as hell for this season! It's a shame Krane and Sanchez couldn't stick around, but overall it was a positive transfer window (Nacho, D'Ale, Arzura, etc)

5. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Worth noting São Paulo is about to play Cesar Vallejo of Peru. The winner will be in our group in the copa.

São Paulo will most likely win and it will be interesting, they're coach is Bauza of San Lorenzo and they just got Calleri from Boca and they have Centurion from Racing. They've also got the likes of Ganso, Michel Bastos, and Alan Kardec, they're a pretty stacked team so there's no doubt I'll be pulling for the Peruvians

6. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Was anybody worried about the team? Now its comimg together nicely. As has been said above I think this is also Driussis season to break out, he's still just 19 and has been playing great in his natural position. After some good games at 7 last year i thinkhe brings even more to the table nos. The teams stacked at this point, if anything its even stronger. They can play rough, well organized football that won them the copa last year, but with more creativity. I'm hype to say the least.

Ron Mexico repped this.
  7. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    ¡BIENVENIDO, CABEZÓN!

[​IMG]

Ron Mexico and pepinointer repped this.
  8. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I literally waited more than an hour outside in the rain, waiting for them to decide on whether the game was suspended or not. What a process. But the good news is there's nonwork today and i have it to look forward to still.

I have a connection now who can get me press passes, the problem is i have to go dressed as a civilian.

Imnso happy games are back

locoxriver repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ah yes, a pair of jorts....

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If that's how we played without D'Alessandro, just wait till he gets going. Absolutely brilliant performance. Nacho Fernandez is amazing. Seriously, what a player.

Pity finally did what was expected of him. A lot of people didn't like his gesture to the fans, but at least he showed some fire out there for once. You need to have personality to wear the 10 it's about time he showed some, even if it was in poor taste.

The only negative was Balanta's injury. Im really worried about him. He'll be out 3 weeks

Ron Mexico and balazsriver10 repped this.
  11. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    We spoke lot of bad words for Domingo, but guys, he's performance is very good, he plays 100% what he has to, he has routine and speed, also a good reinforcement from Gallardo. Ponzio is a jolly-joker, he played as good 2 times CB as he played this position all of his life. Can't wait to see D'Alessandro is on the pitch! :)

Ron Mexico, pepinointer and locoxriver repped this.
  12. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's only the first game against the brewing company but they played good nonetheless.

I'm still skeptical about Domingo but I guess he plays ok especially given the times. He's doesn't have that huge pressure of being a youth prospect replacing Mascherano anymore. He's older and wiser and knows what he needs to do.

Also shouldn't there be another thread for the 2016 season?

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  14. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like lots of changes for tomorrow... We're entering a stretch where we'll be playing every 3/4 days including a huge game in Rosario Sunday followed by our Copa debut in Venezuela next Thursday

I'm excited to see Alonso's debut. He added another dimension the other night. I'm to excited to see Casco back out there however. Pity and Bertolo need to keep building. D'Alessandro will be on the bench if needed. Hopefully he can give the home fans something to cheer about

None of Mora, Nacho, Lucho, or Vangioni we're even called up

image.jpg

15. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The only good thing about the match was it was Ponzio's 200th game. That red card was bullshit.

16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was a stupid challenge to make. A player of Piscu's experience shouldn't even be messing around. Though I agree, it was never a red- but like I said, you can't give a confessed Boca fan like Delfino the chance to pull out his card

There was also a penalty bigger than a house on Alonso in the first half.

I made this point last season when we basically handed boca the 30-team league on a plate and I'll say it again- Gallardo is easily the best coach in America- maybe in the world- when it comes to setting up his team for 1 vs 1 knock out games, but in league seasons he is awful. You can't make so many changes. Rest a player or two, but don't change the whole damn team and rely on the likes of Casco, Mayada as a defense, Bertolo, etc

And this was after just 2 rounds! These guys are professionals being paid shit loads of cash, they can play 3 games in a row?!?!

The set up was all wrong too. The same problems we had vs. Belgrano we had last night, but with very little threat up top. Gallardo fixed nothing during the week

Why for example, was Nacho not called up? We were in dire need of a guy to come get the ball and pause and think. Casco needs to be finished. That was absolutely diabolical.

D'Alessandro's injury is just shit. It's absolutely devastating.

Ron Mexico repped this.
  17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Half time River up 2-1 in Rosario.

Both Mora and Alario have been immense, doing much more than just scoring. The pressing and hold up play really sticks out.

Ponzio is playing high up the pitch to press, but his creativity is lacking. We are basically not playing through the midfield, just hoping to win the ball back quickly and attack over short spaces- like on Mora's goal

Our defense is still a liability.

Let's get another goal or two and kill it off

18. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am absolutely dumbstruck that the team managed to let a 2 goal lead slip away like that. I pin a lot of the blame at the end of it on Pity, who got the ball near the corner on Rosario's side and inexplicably started dribbling back towards our own half -- managing to lose the ball after having done Central's work for them getting the ball upfield.

Pity needs to spend a lengthy time on the bench, and if necessary, try and regain his confidence at another team. Right now he's a disaster, and his petulance (I'm still incredulous that he had the nerve to try and silence the fans after a single decent match in months) on the very rare occasion that he doesn't play like crap make him unbearable.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  19. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pity was awful and should have been benched after the first half- and he gave the ball away in crucial moments- but the defense was terrible. Mammanna has his mind in Florence it would seem, and Vangioni has his in Milan- he made absolutely no effort to close down Larrondo on the last goal. He just stood there. Pathetic effort. Every ball into the box was half a goal. Mammanna didn't win a single aerial duel I remember

This tournament is only 16 games and it's now 25% done already. Ludicrously, this tournament determines who qualifies for next years Copa Libertadores... At this rate, the only way we are going to qualify is by winning this years addition.

It's really alarming just how awful our defense is. That's now 8 goals in the last 3 games. Sure, individual errors are an issue, but coaching and scheme play apart. Letting in so many goals is systematic- especially when you see that he changed more than half the team and the goals keep flying in. Balanta will make a difference when he comes back, but how much?

Also, what happened to Nacho? He wasn't even on the bench tonight... How we could have used him to run out the clock instead of that little prick Pity...

megamac20817 and locoxriver repped this.
  20. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nacho wasn't even called up for the trip to Venezuela. What the hell happened? He was our most impressive player in the summer and was amazing against Quilmes... I don't get it. Did his relationship with Gallardo break down? This'll be three matches in a row in which he doesn't even get on the bench....

What makes the nacho decision worse is that Pity continues to get called up

Vangioni also left out, which means we'll probably have to see Casco back in the line up :thumbsdown:

21. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    I hope Vega will be the LB.

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Possible line-up for the Copa debut:

[​IMG]

Not just no Nacho.... no Alario, no Mora, no Ponzio.

I understand that the busy schedule makes rotation necessary at times throughout the season, but the starters recently rested vs. Godoy Cruz.. it's not like they're arriving from playing a crazy streak of games or anything.

With the Argentine league already a quarter of the way through (incredibly), the Libertadores has become our main focus given the several points we already dropped in local play. The Strongest surprised Sao Paulo yesterday by defeating them 1-0, so now even more than before we can't afford to drop any points in the Copa.

Gallardo is taking a risk by going with subs..... last copa he did the same thing in the first match vs San Jose, and it almost left us empty-handed prematurely. Sure, we lifted the copa in the end, but those 3 vital points we lost that day almost made us go home without even advancing to the knockout stage until the stars aligned on the final group match day. That should have taught mune the importance of every single point in the Libertadores, but it seems he thinks giving players a break every week is more important.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apparently, Nacho got sick as a side effect of the yellow fever vaccine that was needed to travel to Venezuela. Yet this doesn't explain his absence in Rosario or against Godoy Cruz.

And I agree loco- the whole point of resting the starters against Godoy Cruz was so the squad would be fresh for the copa- at least that's what we all assumed.

There's no need to panic obviously, but you're right- the argentine league is pretty much out of the picture- but we still must try and finish 2nd in our group to qualify for the next copa... So while the libertadores has to be priority, we need to pick up maximum points especially at home, starting Monday vs independiente

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Alonso barely getting his first official start today and already has 3 goals this season... fantastic goals/minute rate. Great alternative for the attack, and he arrived practically without affecting the club's finances. No doubt a good decision by Gallardo.

Didn't get to see the first half today, but I hear I didn't miss much. The second half wasn't amazing either, but it was still the best possible start in the Copa: besides the 3 points, those +4 goals for the goal differential could be decisive later on.

RiverGaucho and balazsriver10 repped this.
  25. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree with you loco, Alonso is a beast. Like I said a few pages ago, he knows what it takes to play Libertadores and Sudamericana and he comes from being a captain and star man at Nacional. despite being older than both, he has already given 50000000x more to River than Saviola and Aimar combined. The main difference? He came to River for glory and in peak physical condition, not as a last resort. The more I think about those two, I just shake my head.

The other high point is Piscu who looked at his best. This guy has to be rated as one of the top set piece takers in the world, I wonder what Gallardo is thinking about for the clasico if D'Alessandro is healthy. Any chance we see them both on the field together at some point?

I also want to see Nacho back in the line up to link up with the others. He's a player I think has so much to offer.

Next up, Independiente on Monday then Boca the following Sunday. Two clasicos in less than a week, if we get 6 points it will be a massive boost to the squad before we play São Paulo, who despite losing to The Strongest, is clearly our main rival in the group.

Ron Mexico, locoxriver and balazsriver10 repped this.