River Plate 2012: La Vuelta a Primera? - News & Comments (R)

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Que crack Villalva! Ten minutes, and he did amazing again. He's the player we've been needing to change up the pace in the second half, I can't believe it took Almeyda so long to see.

2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No Carlos Sanchez or Chori Dominguez next game.. How would you guys form the team?

Considering his good form, I would definitely bring in Villalva. I would also play Aguirre from the start, leaving the team looking like this from the midfield on up:

Cavenahi-Villalva
    Ocampos-Aguirre-Cirigliano-Ponzio​

3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chori should be able to play as we can ask for the 225 because Maestrico Gonzalez has been called up by Venezuela.

So we at least would have him. As to who will replace Sanchez, only Almeyda knows. I wouldn't mind giving Villalva

By the way, watching the press conference of Chori and Cavegol right now. I love these guys so much. They need to be signed for life. There are no excuses on Passarella's part. Sign them, or leave.

4. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think they've already opened negotiations with Cavenaghi, and that should be pretty straightforward, but Chori's situation is more complicated: he still has a contract with Valencia, and he's only on loan IIRC.

5. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm just worried. Getting back to primera is the goal obviously, but once we get back to where we never should have left we must win the league. Chori I know is complicated, but Valencia doesn't want him. They will try and sell him, maybe back to Russia, but I have hope.

As for Fernando... well I am confident he will stay, but the dirigentes need to step up. They just asked him about this in the press conference and he said he isn't in a hurry but the directors should get on it. He will have no shortage of offers from Brasil, Mexico, and Europe... we need to keep him

Despite what happened against Boca, I am convinced this team we have could win the 2012 Apertura. I see the standard of play of many teams in primera, and we are far better. It was the pressure of the Boca games. You could see how nervous we were. But I think, if we win promotion, this team can fight for the title in primera. Even more so if we add a player or two and don't sell most of the team. This game tonight really lifted my spirits.

The young kids, Abacis, Ocampos, and Cirigliano are all cracks

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How long will maestrico be gone for? Assuming it isn't too long, I'd rather skip on the 225 and not use Chori. I'd rather have him available the week after when we face Quilmes, who should be tougher than Desamaparados.

7. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just got home from this, ********ing 91 bus....

anyways, yowza! what a game! First off i have to give a shoutout to Abecasis, he was EVERYWHERE. Being Carlos Sanchez offensively and making every play on the other end too. Chori and Cavenaghi were on another level moving the ball together. Ocampos is electric with the ball but like has been stated above he isnt a consistent crosser or finisher yet, but he's still a child so I will just enjoy watching his game develop, hoping it is with River. I found myself yelling Ponzio! more often than I'd like but everyone else seems satisfied with how he played. I like to see Trezeguet marking one because it was a very nice goal, it looks even nicer on video because i was completely opposite of it. I liked the in game adjustments Almeyda made as well, I want to see Ocampos in the middle defending every corner.

Alot to be happy about tonight folks, Im gonna let it settle and have more thoughts tomorrow.

8. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Best performance in a long time as Almeyda said.Ponzio,Cirigliano,Ocampos,Chori,Cavenaghi,Abecasis and Diaz in the second half were all excellent.Brillaint gol by Dominguez to make up for recent boludeces.Sanchez was stupid and discipline remains an issue.
    But three points nothing more to be getting excited about.Every game must be played as a final and other distractions avoided.Independiente in the Monu are the type of team we like playing against.The next two will be negative in the extreme.
    Sin Embargo como dice el Tecnico es para celebrar durante un par de dias

9. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    While it was just one game, I think it showed alot about this group. While I usully think things like this are cheesy in sports and dont usually believe in them, I think this was the game where it all came together and they all just said ******** it. I think from here on this team are gonna be cold blooded killers. I think that if they hadnt been moved down this team chould have been a top 5 team in Primera A and agree with the notion that this team has the ability to win 2012 Clausura. Id like to see the back end of the defense solidify a bit more, but things really seem to finally be falling in to place.

This is a deep team too, we got a nice little dose of Villalva last night, and also have both Aguirre and Trezeguet on the bench. There is still a ways to go but things are looking bright and giving us alot to be happy about and look forward to.

10. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5kVkAcE5AM"]Trezeguet's goal[/ame]. The look of joy on his face was just great to see :D

11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    By the way does anyone know when we will switch sponsors on the jersey?

13. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Trezeguet on Fox Sports talking about the pressure of playing in argentina. Says its far and away tougher and more demanding than italy. He's also talking about how he had no passion in the UAE. Says his last game he played in front of 30 people.

He says with River it will be better because he is so excited to play and because its so important to him

14. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I figure it will be by the start of clausura 2012, and yeah thats what el Diego is up to and it sounds like fun.

15. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The sponsor change is supposedly set for July of this year, which would be before the start of the Apertura.

16. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yeah thats what I was trying to say i was just typing fast.

17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Funes Mori scored 3 goals today in a friendly against Ferro. In my opinion this is not a good thing. What we need is not a number nine, but a number 7 to accompany and assist Cave. This is why the 4-4-2 with Chori and Cavegol works so well.

Even though Cave's goal wasn't directly assisted by Chori's this weekened, it was created out of a pinpoint cross of his, and I'd wager about half of Cave's goals this season have been created by Chori in some way or another

I think for that, el Keko Villalva would be the ideal replacement. Funes Mori offers very little in build up play and his finishing is erratic to put it kindly.

The only 9 we need is Cave and then Trezeguet for the last 10-15 minutes because of his expert finishing.

18. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Funes Mori is actually quite capable in helping out in the build-up play, at least in reduced spaces (1-2 touches or just finding space to keep the attack flowing), even if his long-range passing is nowhere near el Chori's. Still, I would also like to see Villalva get the chance from the start.

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Completely different topic, but I heard it's been two years since the last time River scored from a freekick. :eek: The last time was when Gallardo scored vs. Arsenal for the Torneo Clausura 2010.

This is kind of worrying.. Are there really no players who know how to shoot from long range on the team? What happened to Chori? I remember he used to take good freekicks back in the day, but now they're nothing special. Even Cavenaghi, though not the primary freekick taker, scored a goal or two from a direct FK in his first era in River. Maybe he should try taking some more?

I know it might not be thaaaat big of a deal, but a well taken FK can often be the difference between a win and a draw.

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :eek:
    :mad:

22. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Que horror!!!!

23. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not Arano! Not Arano! also hasnt Funes Mori gotten enough chances to establish himself to not give the start to Villalva if its not going to be Trezeguet?

Im not at practice but i think theres enough evidence out on Funes Mori that theres no justifying giving him the start

24. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We also went a couple of years without a penalty called for us -- it might be that it's not just that we aren't scoring free kicks, but that we aren't getting many opportunities in favorable positions. Admittedly, even when we do get them in good spots, more often than not el Chori or Cavenaghi blasts it over the goal -- the one Chori almost scored against Independiente was the last one that really got close I think.

I think there's at least a couple of things justifying it: Funes Mori, much maligned though he may be, has put in some good performances for us, and is certainly ready for 75-90 minutes if necessary. Trezeguet still needs to be nursed back to full match fitness. I also think that Villalva is creative in a very different way to Dominguez, so it's not exactly a straight swap either -- Keko is closer to Ocampos, which is actually why Almeyda has been experimenting with playing him on the wing.

25. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Am I the only one who gets nervous about Trezeguet? As much as I like him, I think he's made of glass. Did anyone notice he was in alot of pain in the final minutes against Independiente? Regardless, that header remind me that he's still got skills. That and the joy on that man's face playing for River is fun to watch.