Rivalries

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Toon³, Oct 7, 2005.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: Rangers 2007-08 season thread

[​IMG]

2. camerondocherty

camerondocherty New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    nj
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

[​IMG]

3. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

btw, as an afterthought.

all the talk of yobs and neds is spot on to an extent.

but does he fall into that category and yet look at the shameful t-shirt he wears.

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Everything is wrong with that chant, but I have to admit I laughed pretty hard when I first heard it.

I'd like to see the lady cop without all her lady cop garb, btw.

5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

aye. but is that the kind of t-shirt kids should be seeing from their elders?

:eek:

you're like some sort of supercharged rabbit!!

the duracell bunny for sure.

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Probably wouldn't want kids seeing stuff like that, but I'd hope that I could teach my kid to spot a loser by the age it would matter.

Do run, run run, do run run.

7. cloudy3139

cloudy3139 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Irvine, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just typed out a big post there, but the response from the server as usual is shocking. So inconsistent. So it never accepted my post and so i wont be contributing to this thread.

8. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow
    Aw, diddums. :(

Though, i got to agree with you but it was the first i had seen of it. Hadn't a clue what it was doing but it stopped soon after anyways.

9. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow

Hahahaha!

10. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where did Naka get that dog from? :eek::D

11. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    His trip to Germany of course. :D

12. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    We shall not be moved.....!!!!!!!

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Say hello to three in a row.

14. Red Sky

Red Sky New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Re: Stand up, if you hate Rangers

Hmm ... not sure about that, but it's certainly heard often enough from Jags fans. Quite embarrassing. :mad:

Talking of songs that don't get heard often enough ...

I can't read and I can't write,
    But that don't really matter
    I am a St Johnstone/Kilmarnock/Columbus fan
    And I can drive a tractor

:D

15. st mirren till i die

Jul 14, 2007
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Saint Mirren FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I don't really see much wrong with it myself, we used to sing it but stopped at the request of the club.

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh

Why is it embarrassing?

17. Red Sky

Red Sky New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    (Only a month late, sorry. :D )

That song's an embarrassment because two wrongs don't make a right.

Besides, the club's kids-go-free policy is starting to work and it's dragging along parents who'd otherwise not go to football games. I doubt many of them would like their children exposed to that kind of language*.

*Not that kids won't hear it on the street but I'm talking about a football ground.

18. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Swearing in football grounds? Whatever next!:eek:

Isn't the whole point of the song to have a go at the bigotry in a humerous way, rather than be a super-bigoted song?

19. Red Sky

Red Sky New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland
    (Please see the part of my previous post about two wrongs not making a right. Thank you.)

Okay, swearing's part of the 'matchday experience' :eek: but I fear it isn't the best recruiter of young fans and their parents to games. :D

20. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    But "******** the queen" and "******** the pope" are not neccesarily bigoted in their own right outwith the catholic vs protestant context and even then they're hardly rock solid examples of bigotry.

Maybe parents don't want their kids exposed to really bad language at games but I'd rather keep the swearing than risk losing oversensitive parents who'd rather attend games in a vacuum than be axposed to a bit of atmosphere.

21. Jimenez

Jimenez New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Rangers fan. Thought I'd post my reasons why I hate Steak Pie F.C.

Their perpetual quest to be loved by anyone who has the displeasure of coming across them abroad. It's frankly pretty creepy. Kudos on the minutes silence by the way for the 100 or so dead miners in Ukraine, the horror displayed on the Ukrainian players faces at the sick PR stunt was quite frankly galling. Thank GOD the referee seen sense after 20 secs and called an ending to it. And they wonder why we call the Ambulance chasers F.C. (their wee campaign to bring punishment on us by trying to say we were mocking the death of Tommy burns shows how seriously warped their minds are, they're mentally ill IMO) Of course we all know where and why the minutes applause stems from. Inability to sit through a minutes silence to remember 66 Rangers fans who tragically lost their lives while seeing the team they love.

Their never-ending need to find offense at anything and anyone. Playing the victim card over their psuedo Irishness then singing songs glorifying the IRA. Tell me MOPES, is anti plastic paddiness anymore racist (your lot are making a bloody mockery of that slur) than hating Brits? Only in your one way street of offendedness I'd imagine. Isn't it ironic that the same people who cry 'bigot' glorify the deaths of innocent men, women and children 'cause they happened not to be of their faith? and are quick to sing about 'huns' this and 'huns' that. Isn't it also ironic that the same people who are now trying to cry 'racist' due to a simple wee ditty taking the proverbial out of your faux Irishness are responsible for the biggest act of racism in British sports history?

oops silly me. I forget that Timbeciles don't do irony. You only deal with astonishing levels of hypocracy to go out of your way to say 'they hun bassas are pyoor worser than us man'. In doing so you have got another countries government involved in Scottish politics. There really is no length you wont go to for a wee greet is there? Well you have forced the Rangers support to fight fire with fire and now have the Spanish authorities probing death threats made to one of their citizens made by the 'holier than thou' so called GFITW. You have opened a pandoras box and will now have to look in the mirror (not a pretty sight I can safely assume)

Round Ye's!

22. Jimenez

Jimenez New Member

Sep 18, 2008

It's unbeleivable that a song poking fun at another mobs literacy skills has been requested not to be sung. :confused:

Too many people within the game now looking for a reason to hug their mammy. Ra shellik angel squad being the originators of this ridiculous sanitisation of the game.

I hope you're happy.

23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i see no perpetual quest. i travel abroad for European games and i'm happy to make friends with supporters of other teams in foreign climes.

such a strange idea isn't it... :rolleyes:

and Jock Stein helped the injured in that sad and terrible incident yet you love to sing your little ditty about Big Jock without any semblance of truth. funny it only began appearing after you were banned from singing that other wonderful one with the line "we're up to our knees in fenian blood surrender or you'll die". lovely stuff...

Big Jock Knew alright.

For a start Big Jock obviously Knew that a club mired in sectarianism (and lets be clear what that means – the approval and encouragement of baseless hatred) was a curse on civilisation and he wanted nothing to do with their organisation, their supremacist spine, and the insidious establishment support structure.

Big Jock also Knew about people and the innate virtues that fashion strong characters, champion progressive principles, and ensure that even in the most hostile of environments, those values flourish!

Then there was his unique and total grasp of football and what makes it the marvelous sport that it is. Simply winning was not enough! Winning while playing in with speed, skill, imagination and verve was the non-negotiable contract he made with himself, the team and with the support.

Suddenly it had dawned on Rangers that as much as they liked to think they knew so much, Big Jock simply knew far more and was even cleverer in his use of that knowledge.

But what probably came as the most damning of shocks to the Govan Gentry, was that here was a man who realised that philosophy of honour and egalitarianism found no welcome, no respect, and no comprehension in the bowels of Edmiston Drive.

While probably he wouldn’t have shouted out his reasons in detail, Big Jock Knew that he would never have fitted into an environment where he couldn’t scout never mind pick the players he wanted; where he couldn’t associate openly with lifelong friends; and unacceptably where he would have to live a lie.

Big Jock Knew that Ibrox and its custodians, under the pernicious guise of institutional tradition, harboured a sickness and that anyone who took the road to that place paid a non-refundable toll that sustained, aided and abetted that illness.

Big Jock Knew that in being part of that cult, a man would no longer be able to look in his shaving mirror and see an honest and honourable face staring back.

But most of all Big Jock Knew, to the dumbfounded chagrin and amazement of RFC that he was not, never had been, and never would be “one of them”. After all, having been ostracised by one community of closed minds in Burnbank, it would have been an anathema to even contemplate returning to such a shadowy and Stygian environment.

faux Irishness? what stupidity. Celtic were formed firstly as a charity to help the Irish in the East end of Glasgow. we have an inextricable tie to Ireland. it's hardly false.

as for a simple wee ditty -

I often wonder where they would have been
    If we hadn't have taken them in
    Fed them and washed them
    Thousands in Glasgow alone
    From Ireland they came
    Brought us nothing but trouble and shame
    Well the famine is over
    Why don't they go home?

Now Athenry Mike was a thief
    And Large John he was fully briefed
    And that wee traitor from Castlemilk
    Turned his back on his own
    They've all their Papists in Rome
    They have U2 and Bono
    Well the famine is over
    Why don't they go home?

Now they raped and fondled their kids
    That's what those perverts from the darkside did
    And they swept it under the carpet
    and Large John he hid
    Their evils seeds have been sown
    Cause they're not of our own
    Well the famine is over
    Why don't you go home?

Now Timmy don't take it from me
    Cause if you know your history
    You've persecuted thousands of people
    In Ireland alone
    You turned on the lights
    Fuelled U boats by night
    That's how you repay us
    It's time to go home.

a simple wee ditty indeed. wonderful... do you actually sing any songs about football? your team, players etc...?

a lot of the older Celtic fans aren't that far removed from people who fled the famine. that 'simple wee ditty' is vile and disgusting. but hey, when you have a club that kept a sectarian signing policy for the best part of 80yrs then it's inevitable that some of the support are going to turn out like the ones we witnessed trashing Manchester after a big screen cut off.

i have a lot of Rangers supporting friends. they're good guys and lasses but have a look in the mirror at the bile a lot of your support sing and do. i've never advocated that Celtic fans are the holiest of the holys. we have our fair share of idiots. thankfully, they're a small minority. can you say the same?

unleash Murrays poodles. we're used to it by now. while you're at it, can you ask Moonbeams about the announcement he was going to give in May regarding the complex at Ibrox? by my reckoning i make it May132nd.

24. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    The word "pwned" comes to mind.

Let's not kid ourselves here though.

I have great grandparents and great, great grandparents that came from Ireland to Scotland after the famine. That puts me as close to 'the famine' as the majority of Celtic fans and that song is not that offensive.

The song is clearly aimed at the pathetic few who identify themselves with a side in an argument over nationality and religion simply because of the team they support. It's aimed to get their hackles up and show them up to be the paranoid, victim complexed idiots they are and it succeeded 100%.

Thei idots from both sides are as bad as each other and there is absolutely no denying that. Incidents of Celtic fans idiocy and bigotry are too many to mention, let's not pretend otherwise.