Rising star Jonathan de Guzman

Discussion in 'Canada' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We're not talking about Julian DeGuzman at this point in the conversation.

2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For those who aren't aware, we're talking about Marco Bustos. He's a midfielder who played for us at the last U17 World Cup.

There's a story by Marc Weber that quotes the $10,800 in Athlete Assistance that Moaca was talking about. The CSA expects him to still play for us later this month which I cannot understand if he isn't 100% commited to us.

3. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I thought this blog covered it quite well. I skimmed it in a hurry but I think I agreed with the gist of it. The author made a good point of calling it a character issue because even if he attends the Chile camp and chooses Canada he's screwing Chile by taking up a place and resources from them as well.

Noticed U20 coach Robert Gale's reaction "We are not amused" Good reaction because instead of taking this BS like we usually do at least he's not condoning it. And he really can't say much more and probably doesn't want to get into a peeing match either.

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I find the whole conversation about who should play for what country very confusing and frustrating.

Frustrating because i think at times we have not been that far away from World Cup Qualifying and you just wonder if during the last round of qualifying our squad included some of those names mentioned above if we would not have been there. Instead these guys individually choose not to represent Canada and collectively their individual decisions really hurt our chances.

Confusing because, well, as a country of immigrants we have (in lots of sports) benefited and taken advantage of the "new Canadianess" of some athletically gifted folks who were not born here.

All in all, I mostly stopped worrying about it when we decided that a guy born in Hamilton that chose to play for Northern Ireland deserved inclusion in the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame.....it indicated to me that we, as a soccer nation, are quite comfortable with the whole ambiguity of world soccer and, in fact, what being Canadian means.

As for who to cheer for, fortunately for me the land of my birth and the land that I love both fail to qualify for world cups so it does not affect me personally.

5. ZidanePirlo

ZidanePirlo New Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why doesn't the CNMT cap these rising youngsters at an earlier age? Can't play for Chile or whatever if you've already been called up, right?

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So you would have played him in a senior international?

Guarda-Redes repped this.
  7. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And in a competitive game at that? ie only GC and WCQ for us...

We should have called everyone in against Saint Lucia!

8. TRS-T

TRS-T Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I feel for you guys.

These Canadian players who turned down their own country should be ashamed.

Guarda-Redes repped this.
  9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well a new era has just begun for soccer in Canada. TFC was really the only top level club in Canada and was just in 2007. Now full Academy in place, first class training facility as well.
    Montreal and Vancouver are still less than 5 years since joining the MLS.
    Vancouver now has the training facility for Academy and National team. As well are on the verge of having their own USLPro club in West Minster, with the city and local investors getting a new SSS in place.
    Montreal will likely have their own USL Pro club.
    TFC tried to partner last year with the Lynx. It did not work out but will likely have something in place and a SSS to play on at the Kia training center.

FCE just started an Academy partnership and have made great strides with improving Clarke.

Ottawa Fury have had a successful Academy for several years now and the move to a pro NASL club adds pro roster spots for younger Canadian players to be able to stay in Canada to play. As well as a fantastic venue now up and running.

Also having both BMO and Stade Saputo with natural grass pitches in stadiums that can accommodate the about 20K with suites etc. where National Teams around the World would be willing to play a match for a friendly or where Canada can host any FIFA qualifiers without having to put in a temp natural grass pitch