Riquelme to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Bolivianfuego, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Rumor is, Riquelme may come back to boca again. He needed a 'rest' supposedly....

Hope he comes to the MLS though.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  2. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Soooo.... apparently Riquelme is no longer going to Palmeiras to recap:

- He held his promise, even though legendary coach "El Virrey" Bianchi coming back (leading coach to win most championships, all in the mid-late 90s-early 2000s with Riquelme at youth).

- Was in talks with Palmeiras of Brasil to cover his wage, but now that they are getting relegated to the brasilian second division, not as interesting, and supposedly were having issues with his wage demands.

- There were rumors of him going to Southhampton who I BELIEVE are in the Premier League, but struggling. Their hope would be Riquelme helping them stay up. I don't see this happening. The league, the struggle he'd have, and the fact he doesn't play much defense... don't think he'd go.

- Simeone was rumored to want him over there at Atletico Madrid...but they just signed a '10' from Espanyol...

All that is left is some rich oil country.... or MLS..... I am hoping he comes to MLS.

- Not to mention he was close to coming (with Bianchi before he took the Boca job) to Chivas USA. There has to be other interested MLS teams...

Check out my points in the first few posts... I think Riquelme could be something here in MLS. Thoughts?

3. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Paraphrasing impact Sporting Director Nick DeSantis is response to question about Riquelme: "Riquelme? No. But I would hope that president (Saputo) would put me in a position to realistically try to get someone like that. "

RT @patleduc15: NDS: "Riquelme? Non. Mais j'aimerais que le président me mette en condition d'aller chercher quelqu'un comme ça." #IMFC

4. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting...

5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    With Riquelme now a Free Agent--there is a chance we see the Lazy Magician possibly in MLS.

I think the guy still has a good 2 years left--and as a DCU fan, I'd LOVE to see him in the black and red pulling the strings.

If Blanco in worst condition could do what he did for Chicago, I think Riquelme can at least match it.

6. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take him for the Galaxy.

7. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Feels like the "Riquelme to MLS" rumors have been around since the 2006 World Cup.

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Really wish MLS made more an attempt to sign him. He signed for a second division club for probably a lot less than what he was earning before (1 million USD).