RIP Tony DiCicco

Discussion in 'Coach' started by cleansheetbsc, Jun 20, 2017.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

One of the Gods of NSCAA. Didn't know he had been sick. I believe he was still doing GK trainings as recently as Turning Stone back in February.

Val1 repped this.
  2. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    He missed the NSCAA convention in January, but I had no idea. My condolences to his family and friends.

3. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Catch Them Being Good

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What an awesome philosophy. For just about anything, actually. Raising your kids, being a supervisor/manager, being a good next door neighbor. And it's just a fun read as well.

RIP

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wow just saw this he is dead? He died without his mustash. I had my mustash for about 40 years before shaving it off. I think he used to go for the taller bigger girls for his team if I remember right.

6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    The biggest stars (on teams with many stars) were Akers and Hamm. Akers was 5' 10, extremely strong, but suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome and had iv's at half time to keep her in the game. 105 goals and 36 assists in 153 matches. Hamm was 5' 5", widely believed to be the best female player of all time. 158 goals and 144 assists in 275 matches, averaging better than 1 goal AND 1 assist per match. Both played in the midfield and forward. Both selected by Pele for the FIFA 100, the only women that Pele selected.

7. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There was another big girl he had. I don't think he got Mia Hamm the first coach got her.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Tony was the goal keeper coach when Anson Dorrance was the head coach. Anson was Hamm's college coach. Carin Jennings (Gabarra) was another attacking wonder in a pint size package. Golden ball at the 91 finals, while Akers won the golden boot. April Heinrichs was the 3rd forward of the 1991 "triple threat." I don't remember anyone else being Aker's size, although I am sure some were.

For the record, Anson has sent about 90 Tar Heels players to the national team. No one else has come close.

9. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Back to the topic, DiCicco's turn-around of the U20 wnt in 2008 is considered by some as his greatest success story. He was a great coach.

10. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't he get another big girl Abby wamback. He was a keeper coach originally.

11. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Abby Wambach first played in 2001, after April Heinrichs took over.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. rca2

rca2 Member+