RIP PFC

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by yojimbo81, Nov 2, 2013.

1. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you provide a list of clubs that use "Wolves" or "Lions" in the official club name. Not nicknames, official names.

2. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Well there are Tigres and UNAM Pumas in Mexico. Tigre in Argentina. Grasshoppers FC in Switzerland. Wellington Phoenix in Australia. Hull City Tigers in EPL. Teams in Africa that use Leopard or Leopards in their names. You are right there are no official teams with wolves or lions in their names that i know of but using animals in official team names is not as rare as you think.

What I think is overused is naming teams with repetitive names like Phoenix FC or FC Tucson or FC Edmonton etc. You can always add other "traditional" foreign monikers like Racing, Royal, Athletic, United etc. Personally the only traditional names in US soccer are those used by teams from the 1920s to 1980s.

3. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of sheer boredom... And this is just what I found from mainland european clubs in the link below. Just so you know Lions and Wolves while used aren't overly popular... Colors seem to be a favorite. Red, Blue White, Black and Gold seemed to be tops.

Les Lions
    The Lions
    SC Bastia
    France
    Les Lionceaux
    The Lion Cubs
    FC Sochaux
    France
    De Witte Leeuwen
    The White Lions
    Telstar
    Netherlands
    Los Leones de San Mamés
    The Lios of San Mamés
    Athletic Club de Bilbao
    Spain
    I Lupi
    The Wolves
    Roma
    Italy
    Die Wölfe
    Wolves
    VfL Wolfsburg
    Germany
    Os Leões
    The Lions
    Sporting C.P.
    Portugal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mainland_European_football_club_nicknames

This has some coolest logs that show... A couple of lions and a wolf. I just wanted to use it becuase it was from Bleacher Reports. ;)
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...82319-coolest-30-club-logos-in-world-football

4. Tower Bridge Battalion

Mar 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Congrats on staying in the league. Us here in Sacramento were lloking forward to making the trip.

5. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the PDL thread:
    Could this be Phoenix? I am thinking it is another place based on the "amateur opportunity in a region that needs it" as Arizona already has FC Tucson and Salt Lake's Academy, but I could just be reading too much into it.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be. I've heard it's a possibility. But I'm sure that by month's end - when the announcement of new owners is supposed be made, remember - we'll know.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you figure the rest of the world got them from?

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    November 2, 2013:

Was that GMT?

9. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the "later this month," I always assumed that there would be no word until after the USL owners meetings in the middle of this month.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is because you are not new to this game. :)

11. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never really paid much attention to USL, or NASL for that matter, until Phoenix FC was announced. So it took me less than a year (I think the exact moment was when they allowed Phoenix FC to play at 'nationally recognized' Reach 11) to realize that USL is a half-baked operation. Kicking out BDR did gain them a little respect, but rumor is 2 of the BDR guys will still be involved with the team. (No offense to the players, coaches, support staff, owners that have it together, etc. in USL.)

Sam U El repped this.
  12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has its moments, certainly.

13. PhillyWild

PhillyWild Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope that the new ownership group gets it together and has better luck this upcoming season.

14. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope this news is good for Phoenix fans. It will be hard for the new ownership to do worse than the old ownership, unless they are mostly the same ownership....o_O

16. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been posting krap like that since the end of the season. But yeah, PHX FC should have an announcement this weekend or at the ownership meetings next weekend.

17. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any evidence of this or is it just more hopeful speculation?

18. Boise_Soccer

Boise_Soccer New Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    The lack of offseason communication is unacceptable, the twitter account hasn't said shit since halloween. How are they supposed to gain outreach support when they literally are "silent" in an offseason that could be used to gain ground in a very large market.

Wow. Call me an idiot, but wow.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the people who didn't have a watch party for the US/Mexico qualifier that was four days prior to their home opener.

These are the people who couldn't get scarves available to buy as Christmas gifts last year.

These are the people who put out a table with marketing information at a preseason scrimmage at Reach 11 and then had their person manning said table pack up and leave when the game started.

Timing isn't exactly their thing.

20. Boise_Soccer

Boise_Soccer New Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Boise, Idaho
    Simply amazing how these ppl have this large sum of money to invest in a soccer team, yet are so clueless how to run it. Even the new ownership(?) or even the USL office who is possibly guiding this ghost team, couldn't they get some intern to at least run the twitter account, or office secretary(?). Or yes, like Kenn mentioned, get some freakin scarves or something on the website for fans to purchase. Hell, if I have time in my very busy daily schedule to run a half-assed Boise soccer social media campaign, couldn't they find SOMEONE to keep this team marketed (even half-assed).

Simply not communicating with the fans is a very very very bad thing to do.

Anyways, here is a picture from the AGM....picture LITERALLY tell a thousands words.

https://twitter.com/CactusPricks/status/411613179098066944/photo/1

brentgoulet repped this.
  21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they really had a "large sum of money," that might have covered some of the problems. But their lack of it made it worse.

And they don't have an office secretary because they don't have an office. They don't have interns. Even when they did, their stuff was half-assed.

It really was a nightmare all the way around. The only good thing was the stadium when it was in full configuration. That really was a good D3 environment. I enjoyed it. Peoria is closer to my house, but I would have gotten season tickets if they were back in Tempe and had the full stadium.

22. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That picture from the AGM proves nothing at this point except that there was a table for Phoenix FC and no one was sitting at it at the moment the picture was taken.

Like Kenn said, they lost the one thing that they had going for them (Sun Devil Soccer Stadium). I doubt I'll buy season tickets again even with the 30% discount me and other STH's were promised for screwing us over so badly last season. That assumes they will actually follow through with their promises, which history suggests they won't.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cynical.

Then there's Matt.

:)

24. Golot

Golot Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Chandler, AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the 30% discount will be honored. Isn't a new ownership/management group taking over the team? I thought that was the statement from the league.