RIP Jack Layton

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Dignan23, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Dignan23

Dignan23 Member+

Jul 6, 2001
    Fort Vancouver, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    My apologies to the mods if this thread is in the wrong place. This is the only place online where I know that I can talk to actual Canadians.

I read with great sorrow about the passing of Jack. I didn't agree with all of his politics, and as an American I had no opportunity to vote for him, but I have HUGE respect for the man. And I would give just about anything if America had a politician that was as well respected by the Left and the Right as Jack is in Canada. He was a giant. And his final letter to Canadians brought tears to my eyes. He loved his country immensely, and dedicated his life to try to make things better for all Canadians. While I'm not sure that I would want him to be Prime Minister, I think he would have made a fantastic opposition leader, and it's a damn shame that we won't all spend the next four years watching him give Harper hell.

Go in peace, Jack. There won't be another man like you anytime soon, unfortunately.

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Off topic, but the thread will stay as Jack's passing is more bringing people together than tearing them apart.

Thank you for your wishes, the whole country is feeling it. Even many right leaning people in this country are pretty bummed about it.

I'll be wearing an orange shirt to the TFC game on Saturday in his honour (FWIW I am not an NDP voter).

3. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    When it comes to knowledge of politics,mine is pretty low...However,it is sad news that an individual like Jack Layton,someone who wanted a better Canada(although not everyone agreed with his views on certain matters) passed away.

May he rest in peace...