RIP David Bowie

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by JeremyEritrea, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 Alberto, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

High quality version of Space Oddity on Vinyl

Best played at 720 or 1080p

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Least we forget, Bowie was accused of rape. Charges were later dropped. The girl was 13 or 14 at the time. That makes him as bad as Polanski if true.

3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, thanks for not letting the body get cold, Alberto.

So, when did you stop beating your wife?

luftmensch repped this.
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You remember when you were a kid and you'd go trick or treating and there was always one kid you had to take along with you because your folks said you had to, and how he threw up on everybody's costumes every year because he was allergic to every single goddamned thing any kid would wanna eat?

You remember that kid, don't you?

...you don't?

taosjohn, luftmensch and JeremyEritrea repped this.
  5. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine. I've got a lot of Cosby albums too.

Didn't even know Blackstar was out until I heard the news this morning. Giving it a full listen tonight.

JeremyEritrea repped this.
  6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Looking back on his early work and the quote from upthread, I can scarcely imagine another artist so ill-suited for the 1960s yet so perfect for the 1970s.

People were exhausted from war and social turmoil and heavy earnest Art, and whether they knew it or not, desperately in need of artifice.

TV and film lagged him by five years-- but by the 2nd half of the decade, the topics he had first addressed in the early 70s found a huge resonance in the late 70s and beyond. Everything from obsession with outer space to guys in scarves and leisure suits to sexual ambiguity.

The key is, though, Bowie didn't get left in the 70s, his minimalism and Nagel-esque looks dovetailed perfectly with early 80s style, as well (The Hunger, Bauhaus, etc). Of course, he introduced the world to Klaus Nomi.

So Bowie had a solid 15 years in which he could honestly be considered cutting-edge, practically unheard of in any other artist/musician of the past half century.

Auriaprottu and JeremyEritrea repped this.
  7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 Alberto, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    I never beat my wife asshole. Even if you meant it euphemistically. His body I am sure is cold.

That said, you continue to be an idiot. If you have children you should be disturbed that Bowie probably raped a 13 year old. F U that it doesn't fit your narrative. In my book that makes Bowie a rapist and pedophile. For all the great music he produced he still did something horrible. I will feel the same way about Jimmy Paige and Polanski when the die. You are not being honest with yourself if you are going to ignore the bad. That act is quite bad Mike. You may wish to ignore it I cannot. Raping a young girl is really reprehensible.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know Auria, that wasn't me.

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess that went over your head.

I know this is very difficult for you, Alberto, but please try to not be a dick, OK?

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the meantime, Let's Dance

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Klaus Nomi

12. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    His birthplace in Brixton last night. His death here is dominating headlines today, cannot underestimate how much he was adored in the UK as an icon.

[​IMG]

13. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that "speaking ill of the dead" is generally frowned upon, especially when the dead person had a positive impact on people in other areas of his/her life, but sometimes the "ill" is rarely or never spoken while the person is still living either. And at some point, that "ill" needs to come to light. We do a disservice to victims of child sexual abuse by insisting that we not speak ill of their abusers.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

David Bowie, as a full-grown adult, had sex with underage girls. In the instance described in the link, he had sex with a 15-year-old girl who had been drinking and using hash. I'm glad the woman in this story doesn't feel bad about her experience, but her description of her later relationship with Jimmy Page make it painfully obvious that her naivete and inexperience made her a perfect target for creeps.

And for all the great music he created, and no matter how much I loved "The Labyrinth" growing up, David Bowie was still a creep.

Belgian guy and Alberto repped this.
  14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

JeremyEritrea and Auriaprottu repped this.
  15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mick Ronson was a genius on guitar.

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As did most rock stars did back then.

luftmensch and JeremyEritrea repped this.
  20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copied from a friend of a friend's Facebook status

In regards to the articles and posts detailing David Bowie’s alleged history of 'sexual abuse' and 'pederasty' that have been shared over the past couple of days:

1. Twenty-five-year old Bowie having sex with underage but consenting girls is inarguably gross and creepy, period. Men who have sex with underage girls are gross and creepy, period.

2. Forty year-old Bowie threatening to have a roadie fired for bringing teenage groupies to his room was indicative of class, maturity, and dignity; as if, as he grew older, the boy became a man and grew out of the habit of banging teenage groupies.

3. Seventy year-old Bowie had been married to one gorgeous, confident woman for twenty-three years, wrote a delicate, touching album for you after he was diagnosed with cancer, and released it two days before he died.

When he was young, Bowie was a queer and a libertine, a druggie and a slut. We are talking about ZIGGY ********ING STARDUST. Girls knocked on his door, boys knocked on his door, drug dealers knocked on his door, and I'm sure that we're all in agreement that he let a fair lot of them in. As he evolved from a poor, insecure East London boy into a rock god, and finally into pop's grandmaster, his behaviors and boundaries obviously evolved as well.

The sexagenarian man who breathed his last ragged breath two days ago was half a century removed from the androgynous, anonymous street urchin who rose from the row houses of South London to become one of the greatest auteurs of this century. He had already iterated through a dozen characters above and beyond the original rock and rolla who both defined 'glam' and epitomized its decadence and debauch.

Those questions aside, his growth as a man certainly doesn’t negate the choices he made in the past. It may not be any comfort to anyone who felt wronged by him. But people do act badly —and the best of us learn from our mistakes as we mature.

And Bowie was far and away one of the best of us.

I don't know about you, but I'll cheerfully admit having been a shithead when I was young. I know far too well that if I had had *half* of the power, fame, talent, and money that Bowie had when I was twenty-five, my list of sins would be far longer, and my accomplishments far less impressive, than his.

As it turned out, my own list of sins is not so long, but then again neither is yours. We likely weren't afforded the same lifestyle options presented to a nascent Seventies rock god, you and I; I didn't bang any underage groupies, neither did you. I didn't write The Berlin Trilogy, though. And neither did you.

I'm not David Bowie, and neither are you.

Loathe the boy, respect the man, honor the Thin White Duke.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm going to agree with Alberto here.

When eulogizing Bowie, it's fair to reflect upon all aspects of the man.
    He was a unique, once in a generation musical genius but also a man active in the vile "baby groupie" movement.
    It's a bit disturbing that so little attention has gone to what he did to Lori Maddox.
    So far the only mentions I have seen of her have been on feminists' social media accounts.

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not sure how that is supposed to make it alright.
    It only means that the rock scene back then was a way massive creeps could get away with their vile behavior.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

Two things:

We might all have made mistakes in our youth, but I would deem statutory rape as something a bit more serious than a mere "mistake". There were also countless people in the same position as him who did not indulge in underage groupies.

He obviously changed his life style in later life, but so what? Polanski too has been in a steady relationship for the past 25+ years and from having read some semi-recent magazine features about him, he is living an almost ridiculously quaint and quotidian life now. That does not mean anyone should forget about his crime.

Alberto, Val1 and sitruc repped this.
  24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If Cherice Morales was indeed a "troubled youth," like I was, if she came from a dysfunctional home or had a trauma background or had been previously abused, then not only may she have been lacking in protection at home, she may have been especially incapable of protecting herself. And that's why statutory rape laws exist -- to protect children who need protecting, not just from those who will prey upon them, but from themselves.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/stacey-rambold-cherice-morales

25. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States