RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Trump's not a detail man. He made arrangements for the flags to fly half-mast but didn't think about an ending date for this.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Those were my years, too. OK yeah, the hazing was faked. But the clothes and characters seem oh so real.

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I believe the standard is 30 days.

sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    30 for a President, sitting or former. Ten for a Veep.

sitruc and Timon19 repped this.
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yep. Found it here:
    www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html

Section 7.m

Or we could just assume that everything ever is Trump violating some protocol because he is apparently all-powerful and all of the literally millions of private establishments adhering to this code are just deathly afraid of crossing the orange baboon until he tells "host the mainsail!" again.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I just don't remember it being that long for either Nixon or Ford, but if them's the rules, it's nice to see we still respect the Rule of Law. Or is it the Law of Rules?

I think McCain had like 5 minutes, but then again, he got captured.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    xtomx repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Poppy died 32 days ago. It only seems like 2 weeks to you because ... well, I don't know why. The flags should be full-mast now.

sitruc repped this.
  9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    3 scaramuccis. That's a lot of general-dog years.

HerthaBerwyn and sitruc repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Same ********ing section:

"...on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress."

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    As I look across the street at Gojo's corporate HQ, where the US, Brazilian, French, Japanese, Canadian, EU, Ohio, and corporate flags have been flying at half-staff since HW died, I see they are back to full-staff. Funny how that works.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are you saying they read Bigsoccer?

Cascarino's Pizzeria and sitruc repped this.
  13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Undoubtedly.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    consequential????????

EDIT: Oh, that guy. I take it back. That's how I got my screenname! Very consequential indeed.

consequential??????????????????????????

EDIT: Not changing my mind on this one.

Val1 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Most of the government observed that. The White House did not immediately. Then there were conflicting instructions. Of course you know this though.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Funkhouser belongs here just for the Palestinian Chicken episode alone.

(NSFW)

Bluto11, roadkit and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Actually, I very much did not know this.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Any other "White House" and this isn't a thing. This guy really is that petty to go along with systemic failings at the top of the government as a result of leadership. I assume systemic failures because this kind of thing isn't something POTUS should think about. There are codes (as you quoted) and some workers to make sure it happens.

I used to have a page for myself that would tell me the status of the flags where I was working and the reason. I used to always want to know why. I don't see enough daylight for it to be worth it now.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Dude is a scumbag. No doubt. But there are things beyond the control of this one guy. I used to think that you and I were alike in being comforted by that, but it seems that the constant reactions associated with this scumbag has reconnoitered a significant portion of the population's ability to maintain perspective and to realize that, as much as said scumbag would like it to be, not every goddamn thing is about him. What I don't get is why people seem to behave in a way that seems to make that wish come true, especially those who are supposedly most opposed to him.

At one point, very early on, I remember proposing that it would do everyone a lot of good if they, and the media, observed a two week embargo on reporting what stupidity dribbled off his fingers while he was taking his morning shit.

Of course, no one did, and they fed the shitshow that we see today, where the idiot just keeps on being more and more outrageous and the "opposition" keeps rending their garments over the dumbest ********ing shit even while there is actual meaningful shit to be upset about. In the confusion, the "opposition" routinely beclowns itself, at a rate only slightly less than the dumb********-in-chief.

It literally isn't something he should think about as something he "does" or "does not" do. People and businesses observe a non-binding code all over the country independently without a lot of fuss, every single time someone prominent in government (or a LEO, locally observed) dies.

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Champion of the small investor and Vanguard founder John Bogle has died at 89. R.I.P. and thank you Mr. Bogle.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Actual consequential person in the P&CE 'Consequential Person is Dead' thread" rep.

VFish repped this.
  23. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Jacqueline Steiner, cowriter of ‘Charlie on the MTA,’ dies at 94

After the Kingston Trio recorded a hit version in 1959, fans across the country sent the Metropolitan Transportation Authority envelopes stuffed with nickels to help Charlie pay the 5-cent increase in an exit fare and end his eternal ride.

R.I.P. :cry:

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first moved to Boston I thought it was strange that you had to pay to get in the subway (25 cents) but if you were taking an outbound trolley above ground you had to pay another 20 cents when you got off. One time I only had 6 cents in my pocket (I was a really broke college student) and the driver glared at me something fierce. As the great philosopher Tony Soprano used to say, "Whaddayagonnado?"

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I took the Garden State Parkway commuting to college when they still had the toll baskets & not EZ pass. I never slowed down and would toss in whatever pennies i had in the ashtray. Never got nailed by a trooper.