RIP -- Consequential Person Has Passed Away

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Aug 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She lived long enough to see the day that her son was no longer the worst President in living memory, if not ever.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just popped up on my phone's newsfeed, from Newsweek:

"Former Trump Advisor Roger Stone calls Barbara Bush 'Nasty Drunk,' 'Vindictive' after Former First Lady's Death"

Stay classy, Republicans, stay classy.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Babs letting Jr. have it till the end:

Former president George W. Bush on Wednesday recalled that his mother was strong, lucid and funny when he saw her in the hospital about a week ago, during what he characterized as a “wonderful visit.”

The former president shared the story about Barbara Bush the day after her death at age 92, during an interview Wednesday morning on the Fox Business Network.

“She and I were needling each other,” Bush said, “and the doctor came in, and she turned to the doctor and said, ‘You want to know why George W. is the way he is?' And the doctor looked somewhat surprised, and she said, ‘Because I drank and smoked when I was pregnant with him.’ ”

song219 repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    That explains Iraq.

El Naranja, Dr. Wankler, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "Georgie - go get your mother a drink, would you? Thanks dear. Psst...hey Doc. I wasn't kidding."

7. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Avicii dead at 28. (One of the more famous DJ’s’artists in electronica.)

Had previous health issues due to pancreatitis ( drinking) but so far cause undisclosed.

8. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Georgie's mother definitely had a few issues with him. :coffee:

[​IMG]

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    If only George could've made $ at what he was good at.

song219 and roby repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    R.I.P. LOIS

[​IMG]

raza_rebel repped this.
  11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Hall of Famer Anne Donovan, heart failure, 56

[​IMG]

Cascarino's Pizzeria and sitruc repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    She grew up down the road and IIRC was Bergen County's all-time leading scorer. RIP

13. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Two things jumped out at me with this one. I didn't realize she was only 56. Probably because in the late 70s/early 80s women could have such an outsized impact on basketball at an early age as the sport was just hitting maturity. I saw the USA women play back in 87 at the Pan Am Games. She was an elder vet of the USA women's team by 87-88, so it's easy to forget she was only 25-26 then.

The second thing, not that it really matters, is that it strikes me as odd that someone who made a road trip and public appearance to Knoxville this weekend could die of heart failure on the following Wednesday. The process of dying of heart failure is not swift. People who die of heart failure aren't doing much of anything in the weeks prior to death.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I don't think that is true of what might be called "Marfans' failures" is it? That is a catastrophic failure of the connective tissue between stria in the heart muscle IIRC (and am describing/expressing it correctly.)

And she would seem from a distance to have been be a prime candidate for Marfans" ?

Chicago76 repped this.
  15. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Yes, it's definitely not true of Marfan. I should have thought of that considering there was a girl two years behind me growing up who literally dropped dead in the middle of 6th grade English class from a blown aorta. It could be something connective/autoimmune related that could lead to an acute episode, which includes Marfan.

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, James Cotton; yet the headlines say "Blues Brothers' guitarist."

Sigh.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Whitelandian filter, bruh :thumbsup:

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is a guitarist consequential?

Val1 repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    E'ebody got a mama

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    usscouse repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    An Iraq War hawk, right? Yeah not a fan.

(Wiki)
    In October 2002, he presented what he believed were the primary arguments for and against the war, writing, "Hawks favor war on the grounds that Saddam Hussein is reckless, tyrannical, and instinctively aggressive, and that if he comes into possession of nuclear weapons in addition to the weapons of mass destruction he already has, he is likely to use them or share them with terrorists. The threat of mass death on a scale never before seen residing in the hands of an unstable madman is intolerable—and must be preempted. Doves oppose war on the grounds that the risks exceed the gains. War with Iraq could be very costly, possibly degenerating into urban warfare."

And his radical Zionism led to comments like this:

On the eve of the invasion, Krauthammer wrote, "Reformation and reconstruction of an alien culture are a daunting task. Risky and, yes, arrogant." In February 2003, Krauthammer cautioned that "it may yet fail. But we cannot afford not to try. There is not a single, remotely plausible, alternative strategy for attacking the monster behind 9/11. It's not Osama bin Laden; it is the cauldron of political oppression, religious intolerance, and social ruin in the Arab-Islamic world—oppression transmuted and deflected by regimes with no legitimacy into virulent, murderous anti-Americanism."

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don't think he ever became "sane" but unlike the current crop of Trumpservatives, you never had doubt that he could think.

sitruc repped this.