Rio Tinto Stadium improvements thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Blitzz Supporter, Aug 25, 2014.

1. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I don't know if this article belongs here but I thought it was interesting anyway. It talks about how young urbanites are the new backbone of MLS attendance.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2014/11/why-the-future-of-major-league-soccer-is-downtown/382942/

It mentions the RioT and it's location. I totally agree with the premise of the article but I don't see RSL moving downtown anytime in the next 30 years. Partly because RioT is in a decent location with its connection to TRAX and partly because Utah is a unique place where a ton of young people get married while in college and dream of moving to the 'burbs. Utah will still have the soccer-mom demographic to cater to while the rest of the league is marketing to people like me (millenials).

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. Location sucks for me. Move it north!

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be happy if it moved further north, just for commute reasons. Overall I think it's in a good location. It's a short walk from trax, so it's good for people that use frontrunner/trax.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone actually use front runner and Trax to get to and from games? Seriously.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've obviously never parked up by the train station. It's like a mob of people before and after a game.

I think the location is great as it's close to me. Beyond that, though, it makes sense to be close to I-15 and fairly centrally located when you consider Davis and Utah counties.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a few times. One time we missed the connection to FR and it took 2+ hours to get home. And that's not including the drive from Farmington FR station to our home. It seemed like the biggest hassle running for the Trax stop after the game but before Trax left for the north. And then to miss the FR that just left going north. Major hassle. My family won't even go with me anymore to the games. Traffic is bad leaving the parking lots and that was my "solution". I wonder how others do it.

7. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd tell you how I do it, but then it wouldn't be a secret anymore. So...

Taragui, 15 to 32 and rslfanboy repped this.
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess I'll just keep being a critic of it. I don't think it works.

9. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I use TRAX every game except for the Pioneer and 4th of July games. (How stupid is that?)
    I live in Murray so I just jump on at the Murray Central station. The only complaint I have is that your ticket isn't a TRAX pass like UofU games are and UTA has a bad habit of sending two-car trains to pick up fans after the games.

Having lived in Cincinnati for a huge chunk of my life I can't even describe how nice TRAX is for Utah and RSL games (when it's running). I used to go to Reds and Bengals games with 40-60K people all trying to drive into downtown and find a parking spot. It's infuriating. TRAX is a lifesaver. Now, if I can just teach Utahans to properly walk in crowds...

FC-Sky11 repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while you're at it can you explain to them that the left lane is the fast/passing lane. Not the "hurry, get the hell over there" lane

FC-Sky11 repped this.
  11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I lived in Murray then using Trax to get the the games wouldn't even be blimp on the radar. It's the connections and switching that gets you.

12. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any data that gives a breakdown as to what areas the season ticket holders are from? Something like a zip code breakdown shouldn't be too hard for them to come up with. In fact, I am almost positive that RSL would have somethign like this already....just a matter of getting our hands on it. Would be interesting to see where the most support is coming from.

WasatchDuck repped this.
  13. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I had completely forgotten about this thread. When I saw it listed, my first thought was, "Mow the drinking fountain."

DrownedElf, GoRSL and CrazyJ628 repped this.
  14. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yes. All the time. From downtown it's ~30 minutes.

Why wouldn't you? It's super easy, it drops you off a block away - and you can drink all you want.

And I'm not the only one. On game days the train is packed with RSL fans.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I know you can take the Blue Trax lines from downtown to Sandy and its about 30 minutes. But I want to talk to someone who is using Frontrunner from the north and making the connections to Trax back and forth. I think they are like the Easter Bunny at this point.

16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's not as many of us that do, but I'd say there's generally 20-30 I see getting off of frontrunner. I'm not sure if there's more that ride earlier than we do though.

The 8pm time slot is pretty perfect for frontrunner. You can get to the stadium with just a few mins before kickoff, and I think later on in the season the trax times changed a little, because we were also getting back to the Murray station with a few mins to spare. Prior to that the downside was having to wait an hour for the next train.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  17. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I work in Ogden and one of my coworkers lives in Layton. They use Frontrunner a lot for RSL games. She tells me getting home is the problem. They usually leave early and get off at the North Temple or SLC Central station. There they can catch TRAX and go to Red Iguana or another pregame place. It's getting from TRAX to FR after the games that's a hassle so I can see why people don't take it.

I take it to work almost every day but that's obviously not what we're talking about.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did seem to change the trax times in the last couple months of the season. When it was an 8pm game during that time, getting back was really quick. I'm hoping it's something they continue to do in future seasons, even if that means running one extra trax train that departs ~10 mins after the game is over.

I felt like game times that started at ~x:30 were more awkward. You'd get there earlier than you'd usually want to be, and almost leave just as late after. If UTA can keep times how they were the last couple months of the season, then it's really not much extra time to take frontrunner instead of driving.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for taking over the thread, and I appreciate the insight. I will investigate it further for next season.

Back to your Rio Tinto Stadium improvements!

20. jdfoote

jdfoote Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Indiana
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BalanceUT, Ivensor and rslfanboy repped this.
  21. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are definitely trolling. But, that is beside the point.

We are acutely aware of the way any and all extraction-oriented corporations use their money in politics, against opponents, etc.

We don't cheer for Rio Tinto.

We cheer for Real Salt Lake.

Anyway, how's that Herbalife company with their shady dealings?
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/12/us-herbalife-ackman-idUSBREA2A1VC20140312
    http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2014/...ical-marketing-practices-bill-ackman-pleased/
    http://www.haaretz.com/print-editio...claims-products-caused-liver-disease-1.271952
    http://www.journal-of-hepatology.eu/article/S0168-8278(07)00367-4/abstract

Thank you for playing.

PumaJohnny, 15 to 32, Jester4422 and 9 others repped this.
  23. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I thought this article was very interesting, and as a RSL fan I do think it's a issue if the company who holds the naming rights to our stadium is involved in a very controversial and shady deal.

24. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to click on the link....but then I saw it was from Huffington Post. They are as bad as Fox News, but on the other end of the spectrum.

25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be more surprised to not see a big company involved in shady dealings.