Rio Olympics: USWNT v Colombia, August 9, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Horan had a hellacious match. Kept getting the ball caught in her feet. Pugh didnt have much touch either but the goal settled her down a bit.

2. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thread is still buried in the archives. I'm afraid it might return before this tournament ends.

3. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo was great against France...which conveniently covered up the fact she otherwise hasn't been great for a while now. And after this debacle who knows what's going on in her head.

Anyone saying Rapinoe looked good is just seeing what they wanted to see. No way she makes any meaningful contribution in this tournament. She's not ready, she was never going to be ready, she shouldn't be there.

I think we've seen the last of Press for awhile.

Johnston better be healthy because Engen...oy vey.

This team very may well get to the final but they'll stumble and bumble their way there. They're not the best team in this tournament. But they weren't the best team in last year's tournament either so...

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

They will stumble and bumble to a gold unless Canada comes through.

Nobody else looks great.

exref repped this.
  5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    An inspiring performance by Colombia. Three shots, 2 goals -- and one off a post. That Colombian with the Mohawk haircut will be a national hero in Colombia. And guess whose picture letting a ball go between her legs will be featured in every Brazilian newspaper tomorrow? If you're going to shoot your mouth off, you better be good to back it up.

I can't pick out any good US performances -- except Pugh's goal. The ref was easy on the US. Both Rapinoe and Dunn deserved yellow cards.

Morgan, Press, and Lloyd were less than stellar. Engen didn't do her cause any good; nor did Horan. Allie Long got beat up pretty well out there, but looks like our best defensive midfielder.

6. jeanmarc

jeanmarc Member

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's simple really: she goes to the Brasil national T.V. booth and does a 2 minutes interview saying "Sorry guys I was trying to be funny on Instagram and I didn't realize I was being disrespectful, I'm sorry if I hurt anyone and I'm having a great time so far in Brasil."

So simple, but she'll never do it. Why? I don't know. BTW did you notice it's reflecting on the whole US team? As a consequence of booing her, they also root for the other team. Not the best way to gain confidence in any tournament.

lefutur repped this.
  7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't have minded a 0-0 tie or even a 1-1 tie as much. But projecting this much vulnerability to our knockout round opponents who are far more dangerous than Colombia is not good.

Nevertheless, the U.S. did win the group, although we made such mistakes in this match that if they hadn't it probably would have served them right. I felt the same way about the USMNT stumbling into the knockout rounds at the World Cup two years ago after they fumbled late in a game in Manaus.

They have a lot to look back on this match and cringe at. But I'm hoping they can take a certain contemporary pop music singer's advice and shake it off.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Yeah.

Because Brasil fans are known for forgiveness.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Other than crap performance and individual failures, the deal for me was three fold.

1. Team looked shaken after first goal and that was scary. This was an opponent they should never be bothered by and I would have liked to have seen that goal shrugged off as a fluke.
    2. Neither of the US goals came thru the offense. This wasnt France. I would expect them to be able to create goals against Colombia.
    3. There were a few really dumb plays. Dumb mistakes can come back to bite u.

Semblance17 repped this.
  10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game was all about shattering expectations.

and inducing a few of these

[​IMG]

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the Brazilian fans (in the men's and women's tournaments) have been consistently cheering for the underdog. And an apology from Solo won't change that.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semblance17 repped this.
  13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    What she should blow sarcastic kisses to fans. They are classless.. Brazil's fans are 2nd worse only to Mexico.

They really need to get over the Zika thing..

14. jeanmarc

jeanmarc Member

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Please enlighten me with evidence to the contrary. They forgave Neymar didn't they?

They were cheering France the whole half when they were dominating the US team. Btw, Phelps is consistently the most cheered dude in the swimming pool, not exactly an underdog.

Because her Instagram posts were so classy? These posts were those of a stupid bitch, and Brazilian fans are totally in the right to feel outraged by them. I'm also under the impression that they keep booing her specifically because they expect something: an apology. I'm pretty sure if she did it it would be on every newspaper there, and very well received by the fans. But that's just me.
    Now if you're fine with a athlete who gives a bad rep to your country who am I to say you can't be?

lefutur repped this.
  15. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colombia's first goal was Solo's mistake. It was struck with power (it did not "trickle" thru her legs). Yet, Solo did not have strong enough hands and should have stopped it. Her bad.
    Second goal well done to Usme. It was obvious she would go for the shot on goal; she was on fire! She had to. Solo could not play back far post where Usme hit it. She had to position herself for any number of flick ons. Maybe a player on the post would have helped, but I don't really think anyone could have headed that shot out. It was a great free kick.
    I think we approached this game with the completely wrong mindset. I believe we could have done what it took to win the group, but some of the mental mistakes were worrying. O'Hara should never have fouled there for Usme's 2nd free kick. Our attempt at keeping possession and seeing out the game at 2-1 was not successful.
    I don't believe anyone had a particularly bad game. Rapinoe is not ready to come back and should not meaningfully figure in the rest of the tournament.

16. IamM9fanatic

IamM9fanatic New Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Lindsey Horan needs to stop happening.

17. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Solo is still one of the best most game tested keepers in the league. Don't forget she kept France at bat. Too much shouldn't be taken from one game and one mistake.

BrooklynBaby repped this.
  18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Look up Moacir Barbosa and " Maracanazo"

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France might have dominated for long stretches, but they WERE the underdog in that game. (And my comment was more on the soccer tournaments, not the GOAT Phelps.) Perhaps you along with most others missed Solo's apology when she arrived in the country and when she has said how beautiful and wonderful a country Brazil is. (It was a weak apology, to be sure, but it happened.)

By the way, in Australia's opening match, some Brazilian fans were chanting "b*cha" at Williams (AFAIK Williams never made any negative comments about Brazil). Heckling is just what many do against the opposing goalkeeper; the b*cha chant happened again in the Brazil-Iraq men's match. I don't know why you think they'll treat Solo any differently if she apologizes [again]. Frankly, people like having a villain, and I never expected Brazilians to cheer for the USWNT.

jackdoggy repped this.
  20. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are wrong. She performs a solid, skillful role which is not flashy, but her football brain is excellent and much required.

taosjohn and jackdoggy repped this.
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Two possible explanations for the one that Solo let slip thru (sorry, Gilmoy will have to figure out which of Ellis famous Holes that was)

1. Solo had one eye on the Olympics and the other on 2019 (thanks, Jill)
    2. Damn mosquitoes.

22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Those posts caused outrage in a population? What would really p1ss them off? Wow, glad I didn't go.
    2) Probably is............just you.
    3) Estimates are that over 280 million Americans are crying themselves to sleep over your "so-called" bad rep.

23. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Do we need to note all the terrible ways that sports fans act in the United States and many other countries around the world? Often far, far worse than what Hope Solo is facing in Brazil. I highly doubt that the booing affected Solo's performance tonight. Facing the same booing, she was great just days ago against France. Tonight she gave up a bad goal through her legs. The second Colombian goal was simply a superb kick.

24. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As good as the second Columbian goal looked, it was as bad a fail from Hope as the first. She reached over to punch a ball with the wrong arm. Her line to the ball was poor and if you look close, all she had to do was open her hand and flick the ball over the post for a corner. As it was, the ball grazed her clenched fist. Just really poor technique

CoachJon, taosjohn and lil_one repped this.
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

CoachJon and Gilmoy repped this.