Rio Olympics: USWNT v Colombia, August 9, pre/pbp/post

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree and, if you watch the france game, you will see her equally horrendous on multiple occasions of the ball in the air.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    1. Solo has carried us enough that I think we should all allow her to be carried by the team for a change.

2. The idea was to get at least a point while resting people, getting Pinoe 30 minutes to try to get back in the groove, and get Pugh back up to speed. For the most part that's what happened. Ellis done good as far as I'm concerned-- only thing I wish is that Brunn had gotten a little rest.

3. And winning the group didn't get us China after all, but rather the coach we'd least like to see; so whaddya gonna do sometimes, anyway? You have to play everybody or somebody who beat them at some point to win the prize, no matter what...

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I wouldn't call what she did "shooting her mouth off," unless one is a butthurt Brasilian looking for something to get offended about. Lo, and behold, an American female soccer player mentioned Zika. Bully for them, shouting about a disease they've got a problem with, like 20 times per match. Should help tourism.

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. If the fans get so butt hurt over that, that's on them..

5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #230 Smallchief, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    You don't think that if Marta visiting the US shot off her mouth by saying "Americans are so fat" or "I'm afraid I'll get shot if I go out of my hotel room" that US fans wouldn't boo?

There's also noblesse oblige. The big guy (the US and big stars like Solo) is supposed to behave with respect and consideration toward those of lesser stature.

As the old line goes, athletes should only say two things: "I'm glad to be here" and "I hope I can help the team." Otherwise you get a big picture of yourself posted in the opposing teams locker room.

6. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It's actually all over Twitter now.
    Many are shouting out at her, and she's even been given the nickname Allie Thong (her new last name?)
    No wonder why she runs so slow. I guess we all never thought it's because she has on a super tight thong riding up her like nobody's business, causing her to slow down.

She even left a "Flushed Face" about it on her Twitter account.
    She is obviously enjoying the new attention, as many are reaching out to her, including non-soccer fans.

Here's a Twitter post about it on Allie Long's twitter account:

Just one of many Tumblr sites to mock or celebrate the greatness of Allie Long, haha:
    http://iguessyoucanjustcallmev.tumblr.com/post/148719892940/ecaus1218-doseofuswnt-everythingpreath

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sitruc repped this.
  7. harold.kwok@comcast.

Oct 2, 2007
    USA
    Can we rest Solo for a while as it appears she is burnt out. The two goals from Columbia can easily be saved by any good goalkeeper. You can see that Solo has lost confidence in recent matches and started to fumble while others can save and hold the ball. Her attempt to block high balls was missing the ball completely. We should field players according to their latest forms and not on their past reputations.
    There was little from Horran and Long in creating chances for the forwards or in attempts to score goals. Just passing and keeping the balls do not help much. The coach should have a word with them.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her performance vs France would suggest she is not burned out nor has she lost confidence. IMO, this game was a one off in her international form. Of course, I wish that she hadn't had such a poor performance in a major tournament, but I also don't want to see her benched. And that's not only because I still consider Solo the best option, but also because Naeher has so very few minutes and none in a such an important match as an Olympic knockout round match.

9. harold.kwok@comcast.

Oct 2, 2007
    USA
    I only hope US will not be regretting what you have recommended as I sense her lost of confidence not only in the recent Cambodia game but also in other recent ones. One can see that she has become undecided and hesitant whether to leave the goal to claim the ball or stay behind. Many time she retracted after going out part way.
    Nearer is an adequate or even better replacement. She commands the area in front of goal much better too.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Colombia (different continents, you know)
    **Naeher
    Are you actually hotjam? ;)

Don't worry. I'm sure my "recommendation" matters little to Ellis. :p

sitruc and BlueCrimson repped this.
  11. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope Solo had her worst match in recent memory. Anyone not critical of her, or who doesn't allow criticism of her is foolish. That doesn't mean you bench her, as I've seen said, but she deserve to be criticised for allowing two goals that any decent goalkeeper would have stopped.

She wasn't on her game.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, in my opinion, one might contend they have too few options going forward as our midfield has been consistently outnumbered throughout the tournament. There aren't a lot of good, or creative, checks to the ball from the forward and Lloyd is nowhere to be seen in the midfield. She is too busy leading the team in offside calls.

As 3four3 breakdown mentions, the US is hammering teams in their own end of the field and with quick transitions from defense to attacking line. This is at the expense of the midfield. If Horan and Long were a little faster, they might have been a little more dynamic but they can't afford to take many chances and aren't given many outlets.

RE: Long's thong, it could be worse. Recall, Holiday had her bare butt splashed across media not too long ago.

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #239 RalleeMonkey, Aug 10, 2016
    Hell no, she wouldn't get booed.

1st, saying "Americans are so fat" is completely different from posting a picture with mosquito spray and saying I'm afraid to go out of my room. If she actually said "I'm afraid to go out of my room" no one would bat an eye. American sports fans, and soccer fans in particular, and *women's* soccer fans in particular, go out of their way to be PC. Brazil is a different world. Rapino was getting heckled for being gay. The BBC was reporting today that a female Brazilian medalist was basically saying f*ck you to Brazil's fans because of the wildly bigoted crap she got after not doing well at London.

Anyway, I'm sure the Brasilian Board of Tourism is elated with the Zika shouts.

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Life Ith A Long Thong" (Jeththro Tull)

CoachJon and Gilmoy repped this.
  16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I was listening to a local NPR chat show, they were talking about the Russian swimmer chick that Lilly King called out. The swimmer chick made a "new cold war" reference. The chatters pointed out that Russian athletes were getting booed, and how that's unfair. But, when it came mention of Hope, the woman said, oh, the Brazilian fans are really vocal, they're really fun. There's plenty of noblesse oblige.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #242 lil_one, Aug 10, 2016
    Hopefully for just this game though...the "curse of Manaus" in 2014 was about losing the next game after playing there.

EDIT: Only Portugal won a game after playing in Manaus.

18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    #243 bostonsoccermdl, Aug 10, 2016
    I don't think you bench Solo over 1 howler and a misread play. Give her a chance to redeem herself. She deserves that. She is still the best GK in the world and benching her over those 2 plays would cause more issues than benefit .

( funny thing is on the first goal I shook my head as I let in an identical goal in a rec tournament. So I can relate to the embarrassment . Lol ;)

CoachJon, jackiesdad and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  19. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    'Merica doesnt apologize.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I checked before my initial comment.:whistling:
    [​IMG]

21. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me the curse is the U.S. just not knowing how to finish a game in Manaus. In both games it almost looked like the U.S. deliberately didn't win. "Oh, we're winning with moments left in the match? Sorry, our mistake. Here; have a goal-scoring opportunity." I can expect that from the USMNT, but not from the USWNT. Although perhaps I should have, after that Japan match a few weeks ago.

I remain convinced to this day that in the case of the USMNT, that final-minute equalizer conceded to Portugal was the moment their entire World Cup turned around, and to me it might be the most painful moment in the history of U.S. Soccer. Winning the first two matches of the Group of Death, something even Germany failed to accomplish, would have afforded the team tremendous confidence and momentum. Instead they ended up limping into the Round of 16 solely on goal differential and essentially only because, as Keith Olberman put it "We're not the worst!" The team lost the wind in its sails, and their fight didn't reappear until Green's goal late in the Belgium match. Too little, too late.

I'm praying that the same thing doesn't happen to the USWNT in this tournament.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  22. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what's up with Catalina Usme's hair? Is that a medical condition? I wonder about it every time I see Colombia play, and I'm not sure if it's inappropriate of me to ask, but the discussion of Long's and Cheney's respective wardrobe malfunctions has emboldened me to initiate this perhaps more pertinent conversation.

[​IMG]

23. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Actually, that's just the low image quality of that photo. :ROFLMAO:
    Here's the high resolution image of it, and the famed photographer who took it.
    The high resolution version is the 2nd pic, don't click on it or else you'll get the full-size.

And it's funny reading the explanation about it from the camera-man who took the photo, here:
    http://markjrebilas.com/blog/10-spot-olympics-july-31/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    As an American I am embarassed by your post. And unlike your ridiculous post here, Hope already apologized for her tweets when she arrived in Brazil. It did not make a difference. As someone else mentioned, if they weren't chanting Zika at her, they would be yelling a homophobic slur at her on goal kicks instead, as they did both keepers in most of the games played so far.

BlueCrimson and jackiesdad repped this.
  25. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    This scene says it best:

CoachJon and exref repped this.