Richard “Richie” Ledezma at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 7, 2018.

1. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 TheFalseNine, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018

I know @zlebmada (and a lot of people) will be excited if Richie gets an offer.

Hat tip to @ckajMonet over in the Youth Yanks Abroad forum for the tip!

2. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Would be a bummer for RSL, since they actually mean business when it comes to youth development. Should PSV make an offer to Richie....you have to take it if you’re him.

Pl@ymaker, Gacm32, Brandinho and 4 others repped this.
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't have an easily defined position -- can play the 6, 8, 10, and wing. Very versatile player who is established with the US U20s.

Gacm32 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014

mace, Pl@ymaker, Gacm32 and 4 others repped this.
  5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he signs there, I hope they develop him as a 6/8. I don’t think he’s a natural winger or a 10.

6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this time, I would like to tell everyone that I officially thought one player was good before you all did.

Sign me up @MLS, it's not like it can possibly get any worse.

sXeWesley, Pl@ymaker, Gacm32 and 7 others repped this.
  7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I think should probably leave it to the guys who see him every day and are well..professionals to decide his best position.

jjmack repped this.
  8. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes cuz they always get it right and no prospects are ever wasted

9. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Unless Dutch rules are different, or rules have changed, Richie should be able to join them right away (he turns 18 just after the summer transfer window closes) since he’s played games as a professional in USL a la Taitague and Wright, correct?

10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    no its because they are professionals and know more then you do..if you did you would be getting paid to make that decision.

either that or you should tell this kid on twitter to join ur club so you can properly develop him.

oh and just so you know going forward all those 'prospects' that you think were wasted by clubs...they just weren't that good.

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mace, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he on a pro contract though? I think that might be the key.

13. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    As far as I know he has not been on a pro contract. Isn't Ledezma the one with the full ride for life if you come to Cal for one semester offer? If so, sign pre-contract with PSV. Go to Cal this Fall. Then join PSV in Jan. Be an awful nice way to do it if he can. Takes care of his college future and pro future without interfering with each other and keeps him busying playing games/training at the same time.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. Okay, you're now enlisted as the voluntary US Feyenoord scout;)

Pl@ymaker and TarHeels17 repped this.
  15. :D
    Mwah, wasted is too much, but overlooked as not good enough happens. Feyenoord had some Brasilian kids in the academy and thought...nah, not good enough for the first team...:(later these guys sold for 30- 40 million and that was before the Neymar started bubble...Fred, Bastos etc...are names that still give me a certain feeling in my stomach. They bloody made it into the selecao then:whistling:
    So we developed them pretty good, but the process after that ....

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1015956031757639681 is not a valid tweet id

17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Sebastian Soto.

18. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well darn. In that case another scenario arises. Let's say Ledezma is dead set on PSV but doesn't want to screw over RSL or PSV. So he signs a professional contract with the Real Monarchs. They'll sell him to PSV for no up front fee as long as a sell on fee is attached and RM/RSL gets those solidarity payments if he's sold again. (Just like Seattle got paid again when Yedlin was sold from Tottenham to Newcastle.)

While RSL doesn't get any money now they'd secure themselves a possible future payment, keeps Ledezma happy, PSV happy, future players see that RSL won't stand in the way of furthering their career, and it prevents MLS from possibly putting the kibosh on the sale because they made no money, because RM is RSL's property not MLS'.

It's basically a work around so RSL gets something but not anything that would deter PSV from signing him. Could that work?

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    With all due respect I don't think all this should be on his priorities list. The last thing he needs would be jeopardizing his chances to move to PSV. Which is also coming with something like $250K salary.

20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 bshredder, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    I like when top American talent moves to good situations in Europe (not just any situation in Europe). I like it when MLS produces the talent that moves abroad because it's a sign that things are working better over here.

I don't like it when good development in MLS goes uncompensated. When good development goes uncompensated, you get less good development.

RSL is about to loose Booth, Soto, and Ledezma for nothing. And you can't say RSL doesn't play its young players either.

I certainly would be questioning investing heavily in youth development if I'm RSL. A model where you only get to keep your B+ talent and lose your A level talent for free is not going to work in the long run

21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    100% agreed. What’s a solution to this?

TxEx repped this.
  22. I would like to see a tit for tat approach. Clubs in mls pay solidarity contributions/training compensation for Dutch clubs developed players and we do the same in return.

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Winoman, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    I just realized that 'tit for tat' can have an entirely different meaning now, than it did 50 years ago.

bballshawn repped this.
  24. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States