Rumor: Ricardo Clark to Livorno

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jun 28, 2009.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ricardo Clark to Rennes

Goal.com seems to have gotten a little less extreme as far as transfer rumors this year, but IMHO the jury's out until at least July 1... then we can see about their track record.

Anyone know Clark's contract status with Houston?

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rennes seems about the right level for Clark. I don't think Houston would want to sell until the winter window though.

If this rumor is true and Rennes is interested (regardless of whether or not a transfer materializes) it's good to see another club catching Yank Fever. The French League is a nice spot and I'd like to see it turned it another significant YA destination.

4. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

What are the work permit requirements for France?

5. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haha, tell that to Adu.

6. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

or Andrew Jacobson :D

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

I don't believe they have them like they do in the UK, although there's probably a limit to how many non-EU foreigners each team can have.

Perhaps if he acquired his T&T passport (through his dad) he could get in under the Cotonou Agreement.

Anyone know how these things work in France?

8. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rico's games is more suitable to the French league than Adu's. He is physical and high energy.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Despite the red card against Italy, I would be very surprised if Rico's play in the Confederations Cup didn't get him some serious attention from some mid-level clubs in Europe.

Clubs like, say, Rennes.

10. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I should know more about this than I actually do. I'll get on this; let me ask around and I'll see what I find out.

11. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this is true, I think it says a lot about what the club thinks of Bocanegra. They like Clark, but are also probably more willing to look at him because of a good experience they've already had with another American. Similar to Fulham...

Our guys are still out there blazing trails.

12. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Rennes is interested or any other EU club for that matter, Clark should think about it. Because he does not want to go to a european team and be sitting on the bench. He would have a better chance of been on the USMNT for WC(if qualify), if he stayed in Houston. As apouse to, going to europe and not playing.

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

I should preface by saying I haven't seen much of Clark other than the last few weeks.

Certainly it could work out well, but Clark is far more pure defensive than M'bia who covers the whole field. Of course Rennes are rumored to be targeting a big name forward (one name is Odemwingie, which I find unlikely, but there were others) so they may be looking for a more pure defense option with offense from elsewhere.

14. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004

And staying in Houston doesn't hurt your team's chance to win the MLS Cup, eh?

15. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly I am more of a USMNT supporter, Houston is one of my favorite MLS teams. I want MLS teams to get better so USMNT can improve even more. I think American players moving to Europe would help tremendously. If Clark does get interest from Europe, he should go to a places were for sure he is going to play. and not sit on the bench, like Adu, Altidore

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

no UK style workpermit.

It gets a little tricky after that, and even I am not 100% clear (and I mainly follow Ligue 1)

The official restriction is 4 foreign players.

Obviously EU players are exempt, but so also are almost all other UEFA countries. I know all of Scandanavia and Russia are exempt. Additionally there is an agreement providing exemptions for African, Carribean, and Pacific Island players. The long story short is that few teams will have trouble with the foreign restriction, and in the case of Rennes I think Bocanegra and Inamoto are the only ones.

If Clark qualifies for a Trinidadian pass that should give him an exemption.

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think over the length of the season, Rennes had some trouble scoring goals, from what I saw. So it would be good for them to get some help in the offensive department regardless of what they do with Clark or M'Bia.

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

Clark isn't getting any younger and he needs to look to his own financial future. He's 26 years old and he make 250k at Houston right now. to give himself some comfort and financial stability after soccer I think it would be wise for him to try and get over to Ligue 1 as soon as possible i'm not knowledgeable about ligue 1 salaries but i would imagine they range more in the 750k range

19. Woodzy

Woodzy New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If after this performance in the CC I can't see him better than the fourth best CM after Jones, Bradley, and Edu. Therefore, he has got to get better and go to Europe.

20. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or maybe you should watch Edu's nats performances again.

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007

I for one thought Edu was outstanding when Rangers finally gave him a chance. Before his injury was publicized I had him bumping Clark out of the Confederations Cup roster.

Bradley is a lock, and Feilhaber is basically a lock. Combined with Edu's rising star and Jermaine Jones choosing the United States, in my mind Ricardo Clark (and to an even greater extent Sacha Kljestan) have to move to Europe to stake a claim with the backlog in the US central midfield.

Bradley - Borussia Moechengladbach
    Jones - Schalke 04
    Edu - Rangers
    Feilhaber - Aarhus
    Torres - Pachuca
    Clark - MLS
    Kljestan - MLS

And Rennes would be a great spot to choose.

22. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except there's that terribly annoying point that Edu has looked average (or worse) against the likes of Trinidad and Tobago, while Rico has been outstanding against Spain and Brasil. And the fact that when Clark plays, the nats play well. And the fact that apart from the Old Firm, there isn't a team in Scotland who would consistently challenge for MLS Cup (and no, I'm not being hyperbolic or speaking out of ignorance, I've watched PLENTY of Scottish football), so it's not like Edu was playing top notch competition every week. But whatever. I have no ill will toward Mo, or anyone who has worn the US shirt, but the yearning for players who have failed to deliver the goods is absolutely absurd on these boards. Clark is the destroyer for the nats until someone comes in and outplays him, and that hasn't happened yet. Jones has the resume to make it seem likely to happen, and Edu has the potential to do so eventually, but as of this moment, Rico is #1.

23. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch

This kind of sentiment is exactly what's wrong with soccer analysis in this country. Players don't 'stake a claim' by their club team, they stake a claim by being the best player for a given position at a given time. Didn't we just disprove this, watching Landon Donovan throw out another outstanding performance?

It will be better for Ricardo's bank account to move abroad, and his standing as a club baller. As a national team player, it is likely of no benefit for him to move, and possibly a detriment.

24. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love watching Rico in MLS, but a move to Europe (depending on which league) might help him improve his ball control and decision making in tight spaces.

I do think Clark has a role to play with the national team, and the Confederations Cup has proven that.

It's also telling to me that, despite effectively being a replacement on the roster for Maurice Edu, Bob Bradley trusted Clark enough to make him first choice against Italy, Egypt, Spain and Brazil. And Clark likely would have started the 2nd group stage match against Brazil ahead of Sacha Kljestan if not for the dubious red card.

In the past month (including the Honduras WCQ), Bob Bradley has shown that he trusts Ricardo Clark more than Kljestan, Jose Torres and even Benny Feilhaber.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Clark once Jermaine Jones enters the mix.

25. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's when he was getting virtually no playing time for Rangers, IIRC.

I'm not taking anything away from Clark, who can be an absolute monster defensively. I just think that Edu has the tools to compete with Clark in terms of covering ground and making tackles and that he's more composed on the ball and offers more going forward. Clark's probably more reliable, but Edu has a higher ceiling.