Rhetorical: what clubs would you advise Pulisic go to? Where would you advise him to avoid?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dortmund do not love to sell. If they were committed to be a selling club they would not have players run down contracts and would not release petty press releases when one of their key players is sold.

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I can hear the "youll be sacked in the morning"s all the way from Manchester right now. Maybe Arsene Wenger wants a go at the Man U job? :p I wouldnt mind if Pulisic went to United under those circumstances.

3. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Barca fan I would be happy to see him here, but competition is fierce and high expectations are placed on midfielders. Also Valverde is an awful manager for him to go to. He is already mismanaging both Coutinho and Dembele.

I do think he should be somewhere in La Liga. If not a CL team then a midtable (Valencia, Sevilla,Malaga) which is still miles above most clubs in the world (They win Europa League) and compete week in and out with top teir teams in the world. However I don't think they can afford him.

4. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His price is inflated because of the marketing potential.

5. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot someone.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thought everyone remembered GAM lol

7. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agree with the Juventus idea. You mention 2nd choice, Tottenham, but originally say avoid like the plague. Typo?

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Dynamo or Qatar's Al Gharafa...

9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the worst thing a club could do from a marketing standpoint would be to buy Pulisic and then not play him much more than BVB is playing him right now. You take American soccer's prized asset, bandy him around on marketing photos, and then the coach plants him on the subs bench, preventing his development. How many US fans would then become fans of that team?

It just seems to me that CP would do best to stay where he is, let Sancho get bought for a Dembele type fee by Citeh or Real Madrid, and then put his head down and get better.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup addressed it earlier as a woopsiedaisy

11. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Crazy price...

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welllllllll its not exactly Bradley to Toronto disastrous but I dont thinkthis is a move we should be happy for from a soccer perspective. Chelsea have a knack and a reputation for leaving promising players to rot that is internationally known. Color me concerned.

eric_appleby and Marko72 repped this.
  13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    He'll get well paid to play in the league he always wanted to play in. And, at the price they paid, they must expect he will play a big role. It also seems nice and agreeable since BVB is keeping him around to go for a Championship. It lets Pulisic take a good shot at winning something big and lets him start with a full preseason with Chelsea. Chelsea isn't my favorite team, but it seems like a solid deal for all parties involved.

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Is it crazy? For a kid that finished 2nd in the UEFA "
    We'll see.
    Moving to Chelsea does work for some players. See Eden Hazard.

And a whole bunch of the players that they have "left to rot" went elsewhere and really excelled. See Salah and De Bruyne as recent examples.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #40 HomietheClown, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    You know it is crazy world when a USA (field) player finally makes it to a top tier Premiere League team and people still find something negative about it.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Guinho and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But will he play?

It does not matter, at least he can say he gave it a shot even if he does not play much. You got to take the shot when you can.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  18. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Surely you are not suggesting they do this just out of spite!!! lol, Chelsea FC is a professional football club, a successful one, in other words 'they know what they are doing', in other words if he is good enough he will play, if he isn't then he won't, the club can't afford to play ANYBODY if they are not 'doing a job'.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and now everyone piles on after the fact , :rolleyes: convenient. Now Chelsea is the PERFECT club, go figure, lol.

Well, hopefully they sell some of Hazard, Pedro, and Willian I guess.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are now multiple sources that say the Chelsea coach did not even know about Pulisics signing until he was promoted if it at a media conference....... greaaaaaat..... Chelsea making player movers without consulting the manager , again, something they’ve been known to do

Guinho and DHC1 repped this.
  21. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    There is context to this relative misquote:

Sarri traditionally does not involve himself with transfers. He didn’t at Milan and states he is more concerned about game plans for the week ahead than transfers for next year.

He also new than Pulisic was a target, he just didn’t know the deal had gone through when it did.

Better detail on this in the YA forum.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooo, Chelsea, things have happened in recent history. I feel pretty validated in light of transfer ban, rumors of a lost locker room, and a keeper who does the unthinkable. Hopefully Pulisic isn’t able to join Chelsea ....... don’t want him anywhere near that disaster

23. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The GK episode sounds like it's been blown out of proportion - miscommunication possibly due to language differences instead of subordination.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    They'll say that so the coach doesn't publically lacerate his player.

25. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea are saying that to save some face but the reality is Sarri, for good or for bad, does not have complete authority within that dressing room, and clearly the players don't completely trust and believe in him. The fact that Sarri was so visibly angry after the failed substitution is all we needed to see.

Obviously if I am CP i'm nervous watching the apparent implosion but the two positives are Sarri will probably be gone by the time you arrive, and you don't have to worry about being "Sarri's guy" since you weren't his purchase.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.