Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mason Mount seems to fit the mold of the "10" more than CP, for me... but him having only done it in lower leagues means he probably shouldn't be playing much for this squad, when it is actually healthy. I don't really think they have a whole bunch of good options for the 10, so Frank's 4-2-3-1 I'm not so sure about in general. It's a team built for the 4-3-3 as far as I can tell.

I don't know if they have control of keeping Kovacic, but they are able to tell Jorginho that they're not selling him. Since they certainly can't afford to lose both of them, seems like Kovacic would move before Jorginho. I mean, I assume... maybe I'm missing something. I haven't been super tuned in to silly season due to all the tournaments this summer.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If he has the right players around him, CP can be really effective in a 4-2-3 if he's got another player who can slide between in an outside mid/winger-ish role and a "10" - I think CP is most effective when he has a lot of lateral as well as horizontal leeway and can switch between other AM types, esp if he has strong holding players behind him.

3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Him at the 10 might have something to do with him choosing Chelsea. Just my own tinfoil hat theory.

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I think he’d be better in a 4-2-3 if they added another player somewhere.

5. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s got solid players in Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante that can dish and then some serious speed up top with Willian, Abraham and Pulisic.

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He knew Sarri was getting fired, Hazard leaving, Frank would be hired and he would stick with the 4-2-3-1? He knew this in January? He's more impressive than I thought!

None of those players are very creative in terms of actually creating chances, though. Willian has played the 10 and is a good worker/dribbler but is hardly a chance creator. Barkley is the kind of guy you could play in as a 10, but he too isn't a great creative passer. Those other guys are CMs, wouldn't expect lots of assists from them.

As for Abraham, how much is he going to even play?

As much as I don't think CP is super creative, he does have an opportunity to make this 10 spot his if Frank sticks to this formation.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Striker, schmiker.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  8. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Really surprised everyone is really upset about this potentially false news.

Chelsea is used to playing with a guy like Pulisic who can and will drift wide occasionally from a central position (Hazard). As I see it Christian struggles with seeing where his teammates are tactically, playing off the ball in concert with his teammates, and his finishing (especially from a distance).

That being said, he's excellent off the ball in the box when there are rebounds or things have broken down, in part because he's so good in tight spaces with the ball at his feet. He is fantastic on the counter when he's running with the ball at his feet. Moving him centrally will highlight these parts of his game.

They can't bring anyone else in to play that role...Why not give Mount and Pulsic a chance to own it, especially when you have EPL vets on the wings as well as an academy player that is chomping at the bit on the wing (assuming CHO is the same player post-injury)...

I'm game.

9. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, I remember! I don't see this as a problem like a lot of the others. If Puli plays a 10 it gets him and Weah on the pitch same time (assuming Timo isn't a striker, which I don't think he is). And I could see Christian as a 10 with the Nats playing a similar role to Donovan when he played there. Like early in his career when he was the link up with McBride. Or like that last Gold Cup he played in. I actually think its better for him there with the USMNT because theoretically he's more involved. Anyway. Before I get in trouble for national team talk....

TL;DR - If Puli playing as a 10 with the Blues gets him on the pitch as opposed to being a winger then I am all for it and I think it could benefit the USMNT in the long run.

10. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We bought him.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, ok. Missed that.

So then assuming the 4-2-3-1, for now you have:
    Kante, Kovacic, Jorginho for 2 CM spots. RLC is back in November.
    Pulisic, Mount, Barkley for CAM (I assume).
    Pedro, Willian... ? for wide players. Before too long this will include Odoi.
    Giroud, Bats, Abraham for striker.

Doesn't blow my hair back. Considering the personnel I think CP would be better used out wide, but we'll have to see how Frank's squad looks when they come together to start the season. If he's really being thought of as a 10, seems like he has some time to stake his claim in that position, as Chelsea aren't overflowing with talented and/or experienced creators.

12. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

This is bad...he doesn't have a number. They might send him out on loan.

;););)

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Vitesse played a 4-3-3 but Mount was one of the wide middies, from what I recall. He crossed a ball or two in to MM in his time there. I admit to never watching Derby, or would never admit to watching Derby... something like that.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

PalmettoSpur, ShortyMac, Gacm32 and 5 others repped this.
  16. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I am sure Tata loves to have him on his team.

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says he will be arriving Tuesday.

Centennial repped this.
  20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Lame. Should have been: My Blue Brit Milah, CP makes the cut at Chelsea..

Plenty of playing time under Lumpy. Then out when lumpy is fired. Onwards.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Puli trains with Dad (obviously) and EJ (going back to last year).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in Hershey, PA area or maybe at the indoor facility in Lancaster. You can see the advertisement for a Lititz, PA business.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    bsky22 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Christian Pulisic sighting in Japan - He will join up w/ Chelsea who is training in Toyko

25. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Did he get a number?

WheezingUSASupport repped this.