Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't one of your million signatures about this?

Personally I think hiring Lamps after 1 year experience is a terrible idea, but Chelsea gonna Chelsea. Not sure who they will go with in the end.

2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Agreed.

Former club player usually do not make an excellent coach. Just take a look at Gattuso and Solskjaer (after his honeymoon period). Zidane was an exception, and I doubt his second stint with RM will be as successful as his first.

3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's zero chance his second stint is as successful-- unless he has a Sir Alex Ferguson type decade+ long run-- because his first stint was insanely, wildly successful. Lampard had a great debut season at Derby but winning promotion in the championship is way different than a Premier League season. Surely he knows that having played and won there most of his career, but for perspective his Derby team got hot late, made the playoffs in one of the last spots and squeaked their way into the final. That's a great result for that league, but in the PL, a 6th/7th place finish for Chelsea is a disaster. Would hope they get a more proven and experienced coach who can at least steer the ship away from the rocks. Hoping and assuming eventually Lamps will get the job

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Championship is so unpredictable. In the end, the two promotion faves Bielsa's Leeds and Lampard's Derby, failed to get promoted; and Dean Smith got Villa back to the Premiership when no one expected it.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Man, we're all a bunch of pessimist. There are a few young fellas were on a 10th place Chelsea team in recent history, still managed to get another gig...

If CP can't show his abilities, even if Chelsea have a "disastrous" 8th place finish... then perhaps those abilities are not as advertised.

You can't get the kind of money transfer CP got and walk into some comfy couch gig. He's got to play well, stay healthy, be consistent, and not be a missive DB (and even there he'll have leeway) and he'll get another high-money job.

7. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Yeah I dont think if Chelsea doesnt perform perfectly as their expectations indicate that CP will be in some trouble. He is young he will get a long leash.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zidane is an exception. Some people are just extra-human in mind and body.
    But I agree, hiring a guy like Lamps just because he did well over a very short managerial window is a massive gamble. This is high stakes football. Mastery of tactics and game planning is of utmost import as is man management. What history does Chelsea have to look at for Lamps? A season. 50ish games. Crazy. Maybe they're just using him as a place holder while the guy who resigned from Juve takes a year long sabbatical.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yup and just as important, if CP needs, at this point, a perfect environment to produce, he may be too much of a hot house flower anyway (and I don't think he is.)

More than one poster was concerned about CP's lack of PT and production this season, yet here he is, "bigger" club (by some metrics, though I'd prefer BVB) and mo money. We should all have such a poor year.

10. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Yeah I would have enjoyed seeing him at my favorite team (which in truth I fell in love with because of him and I always hated chelsea, I always envisioned him with Klopp who I thought would value him). But I will watch Chelsea as well as my Bundesliga matches too.

But Chlesea put too much in Christian. They wont write him off at 21 next year if things dont go perfectly. Typically they say your best soccer is of age 24-28 then the decline hits. So only a fool would think he gets no leash at all.

freisland repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I suspect if things go awry they'll only need one scapegoat and it won't be their beloved Lamps.

It may have been the way to lure him, too: "Franky, if it doesn't work, we can always blame that kid, you know, the Yank, so no worries Franky, you'll be clean."

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oh yes. I'm sure this was the convo as every human aspiring to the most challenging, high pressure jobs in the world approach their assignment like it's an episode of the The Office.

eliwood, superdave, striker and 6 others repped this.
  13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It's not looking great when things turn sour. You have that entrenched veteran player power in Chelsea, you have that established british distaste for Yanks in football (give us this one thing! this is all we have left.), and you have history.

JK made a mess of Bayern but it was his one signing of Donovan that really gave the team a lightning rod to focus on.

I hope we see a better outcome.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wow, we are a paranoid, thin-skinned nation of soccer snowflakes.

"If Chelsea don't win and CP doesn't play great people might say bad things about him..." should be a point of pride, not pre-emptive cowering. Yeah, they paid him buckets of money. They expect him to ball - at a high $$ level. If he doesn't produce, he belongs someplace else for less money.

And if he does produce - and Chelski suck - someone else will pick him up at a discount. Man, I'm glad I don't have to go into battle with y'all...

15. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I mean honestly so many Chelsea fans seem to think that Pulisic was bought for marketing that if anything, he's probably coming into much lower expectations for his price tag than say a Brazilian starlet would...

Deeneaus repped this.
  16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    That won’t last long if he doesn’t produce and the fans go against him.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I meant it as a joke originally, but now that I think about it, and knowing human nature, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. They're not going to blame their beloved Lampard first, that I bet.

Thing is, I don't care about Chelsea. I only care about the NT, and if things go sour for him there, it can have bad consequences here.

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    How?

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Quiet, I'm busy looking under every rock for the worst possible outcomes of everything to do with everything.

russ and freisland repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Not playing regularly. Basically, how things have gone for N guys who looked good but didn't pan out --not just for us, but for all countries.

It's a very tough situation, with a team that (CHO injured, Hazard gone, not likely to be allowed new transfers) is going to be weaker than BvB, in need of a "savior" who meshes well with the others, with a novice manager, and a fan base not known for giving players a long leash.

If Puli survives all that, it's going to be a huge credit for him.

21. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Legit got into an argument with some Americans who are also insisting this. If that's the case, soccer in the U.S. is far too niche to sell the amount of jerseys needed to justify spending $60m+ on a player. Looks like everyone's about to be pissed off, but what do I know? :ROFLMAO:

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I haven't done it in a while, but back when LD was bopping between Bayer and MLS and then again when Jozy was moving from Ered to EPL, I did a quick comp of their USMNT production, and really did not see any obvious pattern that suggests a dip in club form for guys that have already produced is paralleled by a dip in USMNT form. I admit it was super-unscientific and maybe I just picked the two exceptions to the rule, but even Eddie Lewis, scrap heaped to the U's, had some very productive US games. I'm just not sure there is a really strong relationship. And we've seen plenty of "good for club, not so good for US" as well.

Really though, if we want a guy in the big money realm to stay there, he's got to be a baller, no matter who blames him for what. That's just how it works.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have a hard time considering that Jozy has lived to the expectations for him with the NT. When he sucked with Sunderland (July '13/Jan '15) he wasn't scoring for us in games that mattered. His only goal in a non-friendly was against Jamaica, in a 2-0 win at home. Nothing against Costa Rica or Panama, and he didn't start scoring (again, in meaningful games) until the St. Vincent game in November '15, for the new qualifying cycle.

Except for 00/01, Donovan didn't languish in some Euro bench, he was playing routinely in MLS, so he's not a good example for this. His first goal in a competitive game didn't come until Jan. 2002, and by then he had already led the Goonies to a MLS Cup in 2001 and was well in the way of becoming a hero for them (until he turned Judas, of course...).

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    We are going way into the woods here, but... you envision a world where Chelski neither plays nor loans CP? Ok, if it somehow magically comes to the place they simply demote a 70 mill buy to permanent bench status for an extended amount of time, so much so that he does not get double digit games in a year, that may be bad for CP's USMNT production. But if CP end up getting less than 15 or so games a year, it's not because CP is being "scapegoated" to protect Lampard...

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I'm on this blue bandwagon just for CP. Chelsea along with Real Madrid and BayernMunich is the most unlikable team in modern football.

But I loved them when Zola used to run the midfield.

Centennial repped this.