Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've followed/respected your posts a lot, and I was JW as to why you think that he's the best prospect you've ever seen?

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just curious to what your reasoning is behind your claim. Cheers.

Anderson11 repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    That is a very bold statement, but watching him play I can't completely disagree...

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to be helped by not having a year long gap on the side lines. I assume he's going to join the sane u-19 team as Flores, at least part time?

4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #179 ielag, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Probably start off with their U17 team. BVB U17's next league match isn't until Feb. 22, but he'll be gone with our U17's for WCQ in Honduras that kicks off in 2 weeks.

5. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I like him a lot and the reason is that he solves problems on the field with skill and brains, not just with speed and power. He has ALL of the tools to be the first american superstar. Of course nothing is guaranteed but he is not just another hot kid in my opinion.

7. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we've been down this path before with "potential" superstars, but, he seems to have more tools in the toolbox than prior saviors. Touch, passing ability, composure in the box....plus, maybe most importantly, the ability to score with both feet. Extremely exciting prospect

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo and Gacm32 repped this.
  9. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #185 koolvid, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    I believe Pulisic will be something special but at the same time I hope he doesn't end up like that other top australian prospect who's been there for years and still hasn't started for Dortmund in the Bundesliga.I remember an aussie friend of mine telling me he was going to be the next Tim Cahill in terms of stardom for their team.

Edit: His name is mustafa amini:
    Funny there was actually a recent article on him after finding his name and googling him basically talking about how he's been wasted at dortmund.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2361181-mustafa-amini-borussia-dortmunds-dormant-genius
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Amini

Now Dortmund has had a history of giving youngsters like Pulisic a chance at first team but of course most probably don't until years later and who knows what the first team squad would look like when he's 18/19/20 where they might be stacked at his position.

10. TheObserver89

TheObserver89 Member

Nov 20, 2014
    If he just stays humble and works hard, he'll have plenty of opportunities ahead of him. Very excited for him.

koolvid repped this.
  11. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Truth is - some fellow countrymen seem to overrate their talented players a bit and get excited too easily (sometimes without having seen them actually playing....). Amini has never shown any hint in a single game for Dortmund that he has the talent to be a good Bundesliga player. Could be 2. Bundesliga material though, but injuries have prevented him from making the next step.

Tom Collingsworth, koolvid and Gacm32 repped this.
  12. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    love the chill music playing the video. best highlight video I've seen too.

Gacm32 and usry723 repped this.
  13. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm emphasizing more that if dortmund doesn't give him a chance at first team after spending 3-4 years with them, he shouldn't waste his time anymore and go somewhere else to continue his soccer development. Even if its the MLS.

14. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So those of us who have seen him play what player does Christian remind you of or see similarities in his game. For me he shows a lot of similarities to Chelsea's Oscar.

15. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably a lazy comparison given clubs but he reminds me of Shinji Kagawa. Small, quick, strong on the ball, great with both feet, and able and willing to drift to the wing. Obviously any comparison is pure hope and speculation, but I feel he has comparable traits to Kagawa.

16. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's a bit more aggressive than Oscar, maybe a David Silva....

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    With the caveat that I'm not a big Oscar fan I'd say Coutinho, having seen him play at the U-17 level. Christian is a less elaborate dribbler than Phillipe was at that age.

In a list of our best youth team prospects I posted the guys I/groupthink put in the Donovan/Beasley range:

Acosta
    Adu
    Altidore
    Agbossomunde
    Agudelo
    Bradley
    Brooks
    CCV*
    EPB
    Flores
    Gil
    Green
    Hyndman
    Lletget
    Perez
    Renken
    Rubin
    Shea
    Szetela
    Wright

*new addition

As you can see there are many stalled careers or flameouts, which is something to keep in mind. So while I think Pulisic is closer to the Donovan end of the spectrum the same could have been said about Adu.

koolvid repped this.
  18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He is not small for a 16 year old. How big were you at that age? He is probably an average sized American male and so it is reasonable to think he will end up being 5'10-5'11.

panicfc repped this.
  19. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How tall is he right now? From what I hear he's 5'5 so it more likely he'll end up at 5'7 or 5'8. A 5 to 6 inch growth spurt as 16 is pretty rare but there have been cases of that. Most of the large growth spurts happen between 11-14. 5'7 is average height of an american male at his age from what I'm reading. I was 5'11 at his age and now I'm 22 and grew 2.5 inches to barely 6'2. His height should hardly be an issue. You can name so many good to great footballers from 5'6-5'8

20. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we please not turn this into that debate? I'm not a fortune teller. I compared his current abilities to someone similar. If he changes, the comparison changes.

Sup Bro and panicfc repped this.
  21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you don't need to be Nostradamus to know that a guy who is 16 will grow.

22. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Size debates go in the Mukwelle Akale thread guys.

JJV1994, superdave, Giggsy1986 and 13 others repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Named to the US squad for the CONCACAF U17 qualifying tournament:

GK: William Pulisic (Richmond United/USA); Kevin Silva (Players Development Academy/USA)

DF: Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls/USA); Hugo Arellano (LA Galaxy/USA); Daniel Barbir (West Bromwich Albion FC/ENG); Tanner Dieterich (Real Salt Lake Arizona/USA); John Nelson (Internationals Soccer Club/USA); Matthew Olosunde (New York Red Bulls/USA); Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf/USA)

MD: Eric Calvillo (Real SoCal/USA); Lucas de la Torre (Fulham FC/ENG); Thomas McCabe (Players Development Academy/USA); Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER); Alejandro Zendejas Saavedra (FC Dallas/USA)

FW: Pierre da Silva (Orlando City SC/USA); Orrin Gaines II (Lonestar SC/USA); Joe Gallardo Jr (Monterrey/MEX); Joshua Perez (unattached); Brandon Vazquez (Club Tijuana/MEX); Haji Wright (unattached)

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im very hopeful. This team looks like it can do some damage.