Christian Pulisic at AC Milan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Jun 30, 2014.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game. Once Auba leaves, what is the identity of this team? Apparently Dortmund as we knew it was just Klopp's style, and Teuchel and Bosz were similar enough to copy that style.
    Agree with this as well. If Reus is hurt, and Auba leaves, Pulisic is essentially the best attacking player they have. Sancho probably has a ton of tricks Pulisic can learn, but he shouldn't have to learn from a 17 year old at this point in his career.

Yesterday was the first time I thought I might actually prefer if Christian moves to Liverpool. It's not crazily congested on the wing (I could see Pulisic rotating with Mane a lot), the coach is better, the team fits his style better, and he'd learn a hell of a lot from the players there.

2. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    -Again, a lot of posters and non BS soccer ppl were expecting 10g 10a season. The end product Hasn’t been there.
    - playing a lot =/= leadership role.

He’s been fine. But He’s third best young CONCACAF player at the moment, behind Bailey and chucky. Hope he puts his head down rest of the year and gets a little better in the box and continues being a solid bundesliga player.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Sancho is not Dortmund 'quick' in his passing yet. Those intricate flicks and chips from Kagawa, CP and even Gutsy in between mayonnaise sandwiches drops in a nice pass are as much mental as they are physical. Will take time.

Sahin, Castro etc...don't have any idea what is happening with these guys.

4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Haven't seen Arsenal play much in a long time because I don't watch EPL. Hwvr, he would fit that style / type of player that they have and they have the money, Walcott is gone, etc. He would be just right for Schalke but I'm told that aint happening.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That amount equals a world class keeper and a world class 6. That is simply not going to happen, certainly not anytime soon... its not how Liverpool or Klopp do business. Just look at how theyve treated their other main targets -- there's a reason they are off both Lemar and Martins, and there's a reason they were decisive for players like Salah, Naby, and VVD. If CP were in that latter company, or made sense as a purchase for 90M pounds (!), there would be a similar recruitment drive and bids from LFC that eclipse 11M pounds.

This thread is really down on BVB, which is fine and makes sense... but because so many of you want only good things for CP first and foremost you're not thinking about this in the right way. This is what makes a great player from a promising teenager; in their rebuild CP can be the kind of player that is THE reason for their turnaround. He'll learn and grow more in the next year and a half at Dortmund by making them better than he will on the bench of a club like Madrid or Barca or Man United or whatever.

russ and Winoman repped this.
  6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal makes a lot more sense than Liverpool, as they lose Sanchez... but again, the issue is always why should BVB give anyone a discount on CP?

7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Mo who?

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Liverpool sell Mo to Real Madrid they can go buy Lemar and Martins, who are the players they've been credibly linked with and interested in, and still have change left over for a few pints at the Phil.

9. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Mohammed Salah (Liverpool) I assume.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Who will they replace Auba with?

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    are they selling Auba?

12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Schurlle and Isak......

I am afraid this is a lost season for BvB.

No Dembo, No Tuchel, No Auba.......

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    They're pushing to sigh Bordeaux winger Malcolm

14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Does Wenger only sign French players?

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Walcott is French?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Wenger only found out he was English last month - that's why he sold him.

Jacques Wilsheré is still holding out

17. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    He's Brazilian to be fair

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Because he has been getting first team minutes and would be shopped as such. If the plan is to bench him for Sancho and Isak, say, his asset value would drop.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wenger likes young players. CP is young. He has always lacked good wide players. CP plays wide game. Arsenal play a bit like BVB in the sense that they don't mind losing the ball because they concentrate on winning it back quickly in the attacking end, etc.

The Arse are sitting in 6th and losing attacking personnel. Stogie was probably indicating something by taking CP out of game on Fri. I'd go for it if I were Wenger. I mean, what else is he going to do?

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dembele looked like crap playing for Barcelona because he doesn't really play their game. He'd be great at Spurs.

22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #14897 y-lee-coyote, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    SMH, over speculation about his being subbed off. He was done at about 70 mins it was obvious to anybody who watches his game.

Dortmund are not keen on letting CP go, I don't think they are all that far off even without Auba. I believe Olivier could do a job under Stoger, but BVB is never going to look like BVB under the Austrian Allardyce. that is why i think giroud is not a bad shout because he can do the link up thing and is way better than Auba in combination type play. Auba is an open field player who can be a fox in the box on occasion. Batushayia or whatever is going to be bust if they get him, he is overrated bigtime.

I am mixed on whether he stays or goes, I really have liked watching BVB and hope they remain must see footy with the new coach next season.

For CP all I want is for him to get moved to the middle. I almost don't care for what team, I just want see him central in a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1 or even an ST in a 4-4-2 even if it is out of fashion at the moment.

23. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    It’s hilarious how so many here clamoured about his class being better when compared to Dembele. He’s putting on a similar act this season.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pulisic can look great again if the system fits him. He's not the type to mold himself into the system, the system has to mold itself to him. Since BvB is not going to build the team around him, we have to hope Stöger eventually evolves the team toward something that fits Christian. As I said before, CP can be awesome but he is a system player.

Now, the good news is that, having watched him PS with the Goats and before that with Austria Wien, a team that was very fun to watch back in the late 00s, playing with forwards as midfielders in a 4-2-4 but winning nothing until Peter turned them into a boring 4-3-3 with 2 DMs and finally won the Austrian BuLi, I bet he turns Dortmund into a counter-attacking monster, and that could be a system that fits Pulisic like a glove. Depending how fast his mind is, of course: for countering, you have to make the split-second decisions right.

The problem here is that CP may get benched before Stöger gets there. I doubt it though, he has enough "moments" (even if unproductive, even if sometimes selfish) to keep starting.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And it's Malcom not Malcolm.